PDA

View Full Version : Identifying this antique lens (Anzoux?)

Sperry
12-05-2013, 04:33 PM
Hi all,

I recently inherited this antique lens,
now the problem is I can't make heads or tails of the thing (I believe its a projector lens but not sure).
The internet hasn't been a real big help figuring this out. So that's why I was wondering if this forum could help me out :)

I removed a little bit of the "protective" paint on the lens and it revealed an inscription:
"Anzoux & franšais (...text...) Paris"

The lens weighs more than 3kg and the lens diameter is about 90mm.
It has a "controle" on the side which makes the inner lens move (to focus it, I guess).

Any information concerning this lens would be real helpful (Age of the lens, what it was used for, anzoux & francais, value, ...)

Thanks in advance!

(I'll try and attach photo's)

Barry S
12-05-2013, 04:51 PM
It looks like a Petzval camera lens from the wet plate era (1850's-1870s). Some silly person gave it a coat of paint, but originally, it would have been varnished brass. It would have been mainly used for portraits. The value would depend on the condition of the glass (an if it's all there) and the focal length.

Sirius Glass
12-05-2013, 04:57 PM
I could not find it in Vade Mecum third addition

illumiquest
12-05-2013, 05:03 PM
Looks worthless (you should give it to me)

ntenny
12-05-2013, 05:12 PM
A few months back, a member here sold a BIG (16-inch f/4) Anzoux lens on APUG. That one was apparently a Petzval: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/114927-fs-16-inches-f4-anzoux-francais-petzval-lens.html

"Opt'ns Fab'nts" I would assume means "Opticiens Fabricants" or "manufacturing opticians". I can't read the line below that.

Does yours have a slot for Waterhouse stops?

-NT

Fixcinater
12-05-2013, 08:18 PM
Brevete sans garantie du gouvernement = Patented without government guarantee.

E. von Hoegh
12-06-2013, 09:50 AM
Looks more like "Auzoux" - look at the 'n' in "Francais".

Sirius Glass
12-06-2013, 11:24 AM
Looks more like "Auzoux" - look at the 'n' in "Francais".

From Vade Mecum third edition

Arnoux & Cie
Grand Angulaire They were noted for a Wide Angle No 13,47x with wheel stops, which was apparently originally sold by R.A.Goldman, Vienna.

Auzoux et Cie, France.
They are noted for a Grand Angulaire (Wide Angle) No C at Nr 13,47x with disk stops on a Goldman (Wien) 18x24cm camera. (This seems to be a repeat of the Arnoux data and needs to be clarified.)

ntenny
12-06-2013, 11:33 AM
Many more Google hits on "Auzoux", but none of them have much to say. There was a short LFF thread: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?37162-Lens-Maker-Auzoux

It sounds like they're much of a muchness with the other French brass-lens manufacturers, which seems like it bodes well for the quality of the lens.

-NT

Sperry
12-06-2013, 01:13 PM
Wow thanks already for the replies (and information!),

Auzoux hmm might make sense.

There's No waterhouse slot (which is why I think it'd be a projector lens) however there's a square Cut out in the base lens metal (as you can see in the picture).
But there's no opening the "inner" lens. It is completeley shut off. The only reason I could see for this opening is that it once may have had "markings" so you could tell the current focus (But that's just speculation ofcourse)

I'll see if I can upload some more foto's.

Sperry
12-07-2013, 10:40 AM
As promised some more photo's.
One shows a number (2209) on the lens "mount" (I'm assuming it was screwed against a wooden plate here).

bdial
12-07-2013, 01:04 PM
It's probably a projection petzval. Given the size and weight, it probably has a pretty long focal length, and possibly enough coverage for 8x10 or bigger, as a guess.
Point the lens out a window with a piece of white card behind it, move the card or lens until you get a focused image to estimate the focal length and image circle.
Once you know the focal length you can calculate the lens's speed.

One of the Mods here had a great how-to video for this, but it's not showing up for me in searches.

Sperry
12-07-2013, 01:53 PM
It's probably a projection petzval. Given the size and weight, it probably has a pretty long focal length, and possibly enough coverage for 8x10 or bigger, as a guess.
Point the lens out a window with a piece of white card behind it, move the card or lens until you get a focused image to estimate the focal length and image circle.
Once you know the focal length you can calculate the lens's speed.

One of the Mods here had a great how-to video for this, but it's not showing up for me in searches.

Thanks, I'll try that out this week :D