PDA

View Full Version : Swing lens cameras and vertical panos

andreios
12-09-2013, 08:39 AM
Hi there,

For a long time now I've been thinking about trying my eye on a panoramic format.. Of course, I can crop my 6x6 negatives (which I sometimes do), but I wanted to "train" my eye as well and therefore I became interested in panoramic cameras. Cost is a problem though... I could perhaps save for one of those chinese 6x17 bodies but I don't have a 13x18 enlarger (yet). So meanwhile I searched about 35mm panoramas and discovered the russian Horizon cameras.
However, one of the things that draws me to these cameras are vertical panoramas - and I am not sure - is it possible to use swing-lens cameras in this fashion? I mean, how do the results look then? Any ideas - examples?

Thanks

David Brown
12-09-2013, 09:12 AM
Google is your friend ...

http://mmarlene.viewbook.com/album/horizon_perfekt__panoramic#1

http://www.panoramic-shot.com/galerie_irland.htm

It is just my opinion, but I don't think the verticals work as well photographically. A swing lens camera gives a different "look" than just a very wide angle with the same aspect ratio, such as the Xpan or a 6x17. But, yes, one can take verticals with the Horizon.

A couple of mine with the Horizon:

davidmasek
12-09-2013, 04:15 PM
Hi, yes it is possible to do vertical panoramas with swing-lens, but of course, it is not for all situations. You can get some foreground in the picture, old trees also look nice like that. The two pictures are from Smichov station, and are just quick scans from what I could find quickly. The camera was a Horizon. If you try it for yourself, give it some time, dont judge the results after the first roll. It is really different and needs some time.

Sirius Glass
12-09-2013, 06:14 PM
Yes vertical panorama photographs are great for the right subject. I use my WideLux to make them.

andreios
12-10-2013, 03:40 AM
Thank you guys for your links and tips. Now that I see that it isn't wholly impossible I may give it a try while I'll continue to "hunt" for a Durst 138... :)