PDA

View Full Version : 6x17 roll film back or dedicated 6x17 body?

Pages : 1 [2]

LJH
12-12-2013, 06:37 PM
So do you mean if i use 72/90mm then it is better i go with fotoman for example or dedicated 6x17 body than using LF on 4x5 or larger format for those wide lenses?

To cut a long story short: Go the dedicated camera - one of the Shen Hao 6x17 versions. Gives you the most options aside from handheld.

TareqPhoto
12-13-2013, 01:21 AM
To cut a long story short: Go the dedicated camera - one of the Shen Hao 6x17 versions. Gives you the most options aside from handheld.

Cool, it sounds i decided already now, then Shen Hao 6x17 it is.

Thank you very much!

LJH
12-13-2013, 03:32 AM
Cool, it sounds i decided already now, then Shen Hao 6x17 it is.

Thank you very much!

Feel free to PM me if you want any info on these. I know them quite well!

Great decision, and hope it works well.

Ian Grant
12-13-2013, 05:02 AM
I shoot 6x17 alongside my 5x4 cameras at present with a dedicated 617 camera, I looked at the conversion backs but there are severe restrictions on the Focal Length lenses you can use and I only use a 75mm for 6x17 - essentially this is a "Normal lenses" in terms of the vertical aspect of landscape images. I have a cone and a 90mm lens for my camera but found that in around 5 years I never used it.

However I've decided to build a dual format camera which can use both a 6x17 and a 5x4 back as there's nothing on the market that suits my requirements. I'm basing it around some existing Graflex Pacemaker Graphic parts I've acquired, so I'll use the focus tracks/guides however with A Super Graphic front standard that I've already modified to fit to get the movements I require. It'll be essentially a Wide Angle camera with a fixed bed, I already have a Speed Graphic Wide angle special and it's a simply building a wider case/body to allow the use of 6x17. The longest focal length lens I'd be able to use would be a 210mm. I found an article online showing an excellent (well engineered) DIY 6x17 roll film hack which would be easy to adapt for my camera.

Ian

TareqPhoto
12-13-2013, 11:43 AM
Well, it is better i decide on something rather than i keep open for many options or possibilities, i am not into doing things myself, so i prefer to go with ready item, and i don't want many 6x17, one that will work fine without much issue will do it for me, and from this thread and your answers it sounds a dedicated one is a way to go over a roll film back.

aoresteen
12-26-2013, 09:49 PM
Even if you can get a 617 roll back for a 4x5 you will need a 5x7 enlarger to print the negatives. If you choose to scan I don't know of any film scanner that will do 6x17 except drums.

You can get a scanner that will do 6x12 and to print 6x12 a 4x5 enlarger will work.

LJH
12-27-2013, 12:00 AM
If you choose to scan I don't know of any film scanner that will do 6x17 except drums.

There are heaps of scanners that do 6x17. Epsom, Canon, Imacon/Hasselblad and Microtek all make them. Surprising that you didn't know this.

irvd2x
12-27-2013, 12:48 AM
Epson v750 works well.You picked a nice format within which to work!

Sent from my LG-P509 using Tapatalk 2

aoresteen
12-27-2013, 06:11 PM
There are heaps of scanners that do 6x17. Epsom, Canon, Imacon/Hasselblad and Microtek all make them. Surprising that you didn't know this.

I was referring dedicated FILM scanners, not flatbeds. Hasselbald is a drum scanned which I said could do 6x17.

LJH
12-28-2013, 12:31 AM
I was referring dedicated FILM scanners, not flatbeds. Hasselbald is a drum scanned which I said could do 6x17.

They are dedicated film scanners. Who wrote the rule that a film scanner cannot be a flat bed? What a ridiculous notion.