PDA

View Full Version : Jobo Expert drum demo video posted - have a look inside an expert drum.

CatLABS
12-13-2013, 01:44 PM
We have just posted this new video if an inside look into an Expert drum:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=481385618646946

Matthew Wagg
12-13-2013, 03:02 PM
That's a great video. I'd never seen inside an expert drum and I did wonder why they were so expensive. Now I know.

Sirius Glass
12-13-2013, 03:43 PM
That was interesting. Thank you.

CatLABS
12-13-2013, 03:45 PM
That's a great video. I'd never seen inside an expert drum and I did wonder why they were so expensive. Now I know.

Expensive is a relative thing, in relation to what Expert drums offer, they are not expensive at all... :)

Sirius Glass
12-13-2013, 03:57 PM

The expert drums are not expense when one amortizes the cost over the quantity of sheets of film and the quality one can have by the ability to develop sheet film consistently and without scratches.

wildbill
12-13-2013, 06:11 PM
What steve said. They do a great job with consistency that's hard to come by any other way.
Mine weren't expensive at all at $200 a pop. haha

fotch
12-14-2013, 10:08 AM
The question I would like to ask, why are these better than the other sheet film reels which are more affordable? Better in that what is the cost justification? TY

wildbill
12-14-2013, 10:15 AM
The question I would like to ask, why are these better than the other sheet film reels which are more affordable? Better in that what is the cost justification? TY

the reasons have been covered many times in other threads here and elsewhere on the web.

Sirius Glass
12-14-2013, 10:27 AM

As wildbill pointed out that subject has been covered many times on the internet and magazine articles. I myself posted a comparison of various 4"x5" development methods, tanks and reels including Jobo Expert Drums on APUG.

fotch
12-15-2013, 04:28 PM
the reasons have been covered many times in other threads here and elsewhere on the web.

That applies to many of the post on APUG. Sorry if I annoyed you. :whistling:

CatLABS
12-15-2013, 06:40 PM
You can read all about the benefits of using Expert drums here:
http://jobo-usa.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=12&Itemid=116

Or - just ask google....:)

eddie
12-15-2013, 07:17 PM
I get more even development, less scratches, and use less chemicals than doing dip/dunk or tray. The initial cost seems high but, after a few hundred sheets, it doesn't seem so costly...

fotch
12-15-2013, 08:40 PM
I donít like tray processing and some tanks leave a lot to be desired. For higher temperature color processing, the Jobo system offers many benefits.

I have used the Jobo 4x5 reels for both color & black and white and never notice a problem. I can understand for larger sizes what the Expert drum offers. For 4x5, I donít think there is a problem.

I donít think Jobo themselves state there is a problem with the reels, do they?

CatLABS
12-15-2013, 10:26 PM
Personal experience with processing is a subjective thing (unless it is accompanied by some empirical data), and so there is no reason to think that there is anything wrong with your reels. The fact though is that Expert drums offer the most even and smooth processing, with the least handling of films. That, coupled with a high per run capacity and low min chemistry requirements, are some advantages the Expert system has (at least in 4X5).

And so - the fact that Expert drums are considered (and decidedly proved) to be superior does not necessarily indicate a problem with the 2509n reels (which are fine and offer their own set of advantages on their own), only that you can get even better results from an Expert drum.