PDA

View Full Version : Glass plates

Pages : [1] 2

cliveh
01-15-2014, 02:35 PM
I have recently been looking at a series of photographs taken on glass plates which are very impressive. Glass plates have optimum dimensional stability (dead flat) and I wondered how many people on APUG still use these and contact print the results. I take my hat off to such a form of perfect image making.

DannL.
01-15-2014, 02:44 PM
I'm a relative newcomer to the scene, but have been coating and using plates for 8x10, half-plate, and 4x5. It is great fun. Everyone should do it. Now that the weather is warming up a bit, I'll want to start coating for the 5x7. Plates and paper negative is about all I can stand these days. I stepped back from using film a while back, finding it just "too sterile" for my liking.

Just curious . . . I assume you are referring to negatives on glass? I contact print those now, but have just configured a 5x7 for enlarging plates. I expect some interesting results there.

cliveh
01-15-2014, 02:54 PM
I'm a relative newcomer to the scene, but have been coating and using plates for 8x10, half-plate, and 4x5. It is great fun. Everyone should do it. Now that the weather is warming up a bit, I'll want to start coating for the 5x7. Plates and paper negative is about all I can stand these days. I stepped back from using film a while back, finding it just "too sterile" for my liking.

Just curious . . . I assume you are referring to negatives on glass? I contact print those now, but have just configured a 5x7 for enlarging plates. I expect some interesting results there.

Correct, negative on glass.

DannL.
01-15-2014, 02:55 PM
Are you considering diving into the pool?

miha
01-15-2014, 03:01 PM
Hi Clive have you checked prices on glass plates lately? 10 pieces for €113, and they are small - 65x90 mm :redface: Hats off indeed!

Photo Engineer
01-15-2014, 03:03 PM
See the emulsion coating forum here on APUG and look at our workshops at GEH regarding this topic!

PE

cliveh
01-15-2014, 03:04 PM
Hi Clive have you checked prices on glass plates lately? 10 pieces for 113, and they are small - 65x90 mm :redface: Hats off indeed!

No, I can't afford it.

DannL.
01-15-2014, 03:08 PM
Hi Clive have you checked prices on glass plates lately? 10 pieces for €113, and they are small - 65x90 mm :redface: Hats off indeed!

Oh wow! That's definitively not the way I've gone about it. I purchase those inexpensive black-plastic picture frames at thrift stores. The frames where the glass pops into the front, and the only part of the frame that is seen is the black edge. Those frames have 2mm glass that is perfect for all four of my cameras and their holders. For the odd sizes (4x5, half-plate) I just cut the glass to the correct size. It's quite inexpensive glass-wise, if you're are coating your own plates.

I'll bet Clive is talking about commercially made pre-coated plates. If that is so, I couldn't go there myself. Maybe in my next life.

cliveh
01-15-2014, 03:22 PM
Oh wow! That's definitively not the way I've gone about it. I purchase those inexpensive black-plastic picture frames at thrift stores. The frames where the glass pops into the front, and the only part of the frame that is seen is the black edge. Those frames have 2mm glass that is perfect for all four of my cameras and their holders. For the odd sizes (4x5, half-plate) I just cut the glass to the correct size. It's quite inexpensive glass-wise, if you're are coating your own plates.

I'll bet Clive is talking about commercially made pre-coated plates. If that is so, I couldn't go there myself. Maybe in my next life.

Correct, I was.

DannL.
01-15-2014, 03:25 PM
Correct, I was.

I can't believe you let me ramble on like that. :laugh:

ntenny
01-15-2014, 04:59 PM
I've shot a few very-old-stock plates from eBay, with *some* success---but of course they tend to be extremely fogged, and those I've found are emulsions with no reliable developing information, so it's an extremely dicey proposition. Often the results are too fogged for conventional printing, but allow a scanner to pick out some information, which would be off-topic for me to mention so I won't. :-)

-NT

cliveh
01-15-2014, 05:03 PM
Is this just a dream idea, but were Kodachrome glass plates ever available?

snapguy
01-15-2014, 05:45 PM
I would not be that much surprised if some day film, as we know it -- a film emulsion on flexible stuff like celluloid -- will not be available and the only film photogs will be glass plate users. I hope I am wrong. But I could, I think, adapt my old film roll cameras to glass plates.

Photo Engineer
01-15-2014, 06:41 PM
Clive, the answer is NO!

Snapguy, I have speculated that this might be correct several times here on APUG.

PE

dwross
01-15-2014, 07:19 PM
Well, good grief. If you can coat emulsion on a glass plate, you can coat it on film. Film isn't going anywhere.

DannL.
01-15-2014, 08:22 PM
Poof!

Photo Engineer
01-15-2014, 10:12 PM
That particular reference is everywhere on APUG.

PE

DannL.
01-15-2014, 10:15 PM
That particular reference is everywhere on APUG.

PE

I fixed it. :D

Photo Engineer
01-15-2014, 10:19 PM
Well, it did serve a purpose everywhere it popped up. It was on Kodachrome threads, but offered nothing extra here IMHO. You cna post it if you wish.

PE

DREW WILEY
01-16-2014, 04:11 PM
Film base is probably the weakest link to all of this. You can't just coat any emulsion on any kind of plastic, at least at industrial volume.
And that comment about celluloid?? That would be interesting... someone introducing a new "Non-Safety" film. Hate to disappoint you, but that
plug was already pulled almost a century ago.