PDA

View Full Version : Outstanding Portrait Photographer To Admire?

Pages : [1] 2

ScarletBrown
01-28-2014, 11:45 PM
In portrait photography world we have many top most inspirational portrait photographers but which one of your inspirational portrait photographer that boost your photography skills and spirits?

For me only one portrait photographer who inspires me a lot and her name is Gertrude Käsebier.

SchwinnParamount
01-28-2014, 11:52 PM
Avedon, without a doubt. Take a look at "Richard Avedon's West"... if that is the title. He went west with his Deardorff and made some heart stopping portraits of the "area man", to harvest a bon mote from The Onion.

The book... actually, I think it is "Richard Avedon's West" or something, is inspiring and gorgeous. If you can find it, buy it. If your library has it, check it out.

irvd2x
01-29-2014, 12:50 AM
William Albert Allard.Best photographer of the human subject I ever saw.

Sent from my LG-P509 using Tapatalk 2

David Brown
01-29-2014, 05:47 AM
The book... actually, I think it is "Richard Avedon's West" or something, ...

"In the American West"

ajmiller
01-29-2014, 06:04 AM
William Albert Allard.Best photographer of the human subject I ever saw.

Sent from my LG-P509 using Tapatalk 2

Good one - wasn't aware of him before now, thanks.

For me having a quick look through the books on my library it's probably August Sander.

doughowk
01-29-2014, 06:22 AM
All those usually mentioned in portraiture have inspired me including Avedon, Karsh, Newman and Penn. One of the lesser knowns that I recently became familiar with is Jack Mitchell (http://www.jackmitchellphotographer.com/). He photographed many artists, especially dancers, that passed thru New York. He retired in Florida, but I unfortunately never met him before he recently passed away.

jeffreyg
01-29-2014, 08:01 AM
I do have a first edition copy of "In the American West" and I'm sure the list of outstanding portrait photographers will grow quite long. My addition to the list is a Canadian photographer Craig Richards. A number of years ago while on vacation I had the pleasure of meeting Craig and was most impressed by his photography. We later had a chance to entertain him here in Miami where I purchased one of his environmental portraits. while he is probably best known for his mountain landscapes, his portraits are exquisite. The ones I have seen were all silver-gelatin from 4x5 film.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

www.craigrichardsphotography.com/

MDR
01-29-2014, 09:24 AM
Edward Steichen was a genius of portrait photography and a great inspiration, Alfred Stieglitz, Paul Strand what an inspiration and in my opinion he also inspirated Avedon to a certain degree. Annie Leibovitz even if not liked by many is a constant source of inspiration and a good portrait photographer.

adelorenzo
01-29-2014, 10:31 AM
Greg Heisler. Highly recommend his new book 50 Portraits.

Fast14riot
01-29-2014, 10:29 PM
I also like Heisler.

-Xander

Jeff L
01-29-2014, 10:54 PM
So many that are great, and so many opinions too.
Avedon for sure, and also for me David Bailey and JL Sieff.

Bill Burk
01-29-2014, 11:00 PM
Sergei Rodionov, you can find his portraits in posts on a forum similar to this where the focus is on large format photography...

Erik Petersson
01-30-2014, 02:44 AM
August Sander, outstanding.

Regular Rod
01-30-2014, 03:59 AM
Have a look at the work of Giancarlo Rado http://www.flickr.com/photos/23868213@N03/ He's on a mission photographing Italian folk. I feel sure he has been influenced by Robert Frank for the concept of his mission but his work really has something special about it. I think it's to do with the way he has the subjects so often making very firm eye contact with us...

RR

MDR
01-30-2014, 05:22 AM
Thank you RR his work reminds more of Sander than Frank the title is more Frank than Sander though

RalphLambrecht
01-30-2014, 06:32 AM
In portrait photography world we have many top most inspirational portrait photographers but which one of your inspirational portrait photographer that boost your photography skills and spirits?

For me only one portrait photographer who inspires me a lot and her name is Gertrude Käsebier.

yosuf Karsh:)

jovo
01-30-2014, 07:13 AM
My father was an excellent portrait photographer whose images blended Karsh like lighting formality with relaxed invitations to the sitter to talk, or be expressive in whatever way they chose. He used a view camera and took great pains to compose a picture so that light would reveal features successfully, and focus would have as much dof as possible, and then he would stand beside the camera and not look at the GG again. He would talk to the sitters, and get them to forget the camera was even there. Since most subjects were used to seeing a photographer glued to the view finder, his detachment from the GG put them at ease. They didn't even realize he'd tripped the shutter with a long cable release until he went back to the camera to change the film holder. Because of the moving around I've done over the decades, I no longer have any of his work. but I remember the best of it vividly to this day. So....my dad was my favorite portraitist!

Inayat Noor
01-30-2014, 07:19 AM
Doug,

ACA (Atlantic Center of the Arts), Daytona/New Smryna Beach currently has an exhibition of Jack Mitchell's portraits. Its a wonderful show with an abundance of Jack's portraits. Well worth seeing.

jovo
01-30-2014, 07:27 AM
Doug,

ACA (Atlantic Center of the Arts), Daytona/New Smryna Beach currently has an exhibition of Jack Mitchell's portraits. Its a wonderful show with an abundance of Jack's portraits. Well worth seeing.

Just saw that exhibit a few weeks ago with some friends (including Doug!). The Mitchell portraits are a permanent exhibit I think, and they're excellent. There are a lot of them...mostly people in the arts as that was Mitchell's concentration. He lived in New Smyrna, and just passed away there last November. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Mitchell_%28photographer%29

JamesMorris
01-30-2014, 07:49 AM
Nicholas Nixon