PDA

View Full Version : Lens board ?

dances_w_clouds
02-12-2014, 06:32 PM
Looking for a 56 mm Retaining ring or a 101 x 101 mm lens board with a 57 mm thread. I am trying to mount a Fujinon-EX 135/5.6 lens on to my Beseler 45. I tried the Large Format group but my McAfee will not allow me to go there. This is the only safe one I can use. I have tried the stores in Vancouver but they look @ me with a blank stare. At least @ Leo's the guy got up and looked but 52 & 58 mm was all they had.

Dr Croubie
02-12-2014, 07:24 PM
Is this one of those dealies where it's a regular Copal #1 shutter, but then on a sort of adapter to an odd-sized hole that's somewhere between #1 and #3 sized? I've had two of them, both Electric shutters.
One's on a Technika lensboard that I'm using/keeping, but the other one came on a different-brand lensboard that may or may not fit your beseler, I'll have a look when I get home...

Tom1956
02-12-2014, 08:42 PM
Why in the world would anybody attach a boat anchor like McAfee to his machine? An anti-virus that is as crippling as a virus. The ordinary free AVG is fine. But it's your machine. I'm sorry for you. But best luck on the question you posted.

dances_w_clouds
02-12-2014, 09:13 PM
Why in the world would anybody attach a boat anchor like McAfee to his machine? An anti-virus that is as crippling as a virus. The ordinary free AVG is fine. But it's your machine. I'm sorry for you. But best luck on the question you posted.

Thanks I only need a Lens retainer not advice on my firewall protection. Free ones can be real danger. Thanks anyways.

dances_w_clouds
02-12-2014, 09:30 PM
I seem to have found that the lens cone on the rear of the lens with fit inside a 39 mm board with a bit of tape for an interference fit but I am suspecting this is why the lens has a dent in filter thread portion of the lens. Lens heats up loosening the fit and gravity does it's job bringing the lens to the baseboard/floor. I have contacted SK Grimes whom I am sure has heard about this problem before but I'll still be looking until it is mounted properly. So far I only have 1X 4"x 5"negative to deal with for now but I suspect their will be more.

Tom1956
02-12-2014, 09:36 PM
To be more constructive--now that I have a better idea of what you're doing, have you considered running a bead from a cheapo hot glue gun around the threads?

Dr Croubie
02-12-2014, 09:42 PM
meanwhile, I've just (finally) realised that you're talking enlarger not camera. In which case what I've got won't fit (although I'll check anyway, some bits might be interchangeable).

dances_w_clouds
02-12-2014, 09:47 PM
I just don't know if hanging the lens from the lens glass cone would be such a good idea for it long term. I do not think that they were designed for that. The interference fit will work a few minutes but long term I want it properly mounted. Anyone else do this ?

dances_w_clouds
02-12-2014, 10:05 PM
meanwhile, I've just (finally) realised that you're talking enlarger not camera. In which case what I've got won't fit (although I'll check anyway, some bits might be interchangeable).

From what I have come across is the Copal 3 is about 64.2mm so if I get a Copal 3 sized hole in a 101 x 101 mm lens board. Lens will go through get a 56mm retainer ring on the lens tighten it up and good to go ? Should work in less the retaining ring is too small OD...

dances_w_clouds
02-14-2015, 08:35 PM
Still looking a year later. Interference fit works temporarily but just barely. Thinking of mounting it also on my Calumet with a hat shutter. Lens board from it will work on my Beseler enlarger. Again a 101x101 mm square lens board with a Copal 3 sized hole with a 56mm retaining ring. Yes I know SK Grimes has what I need BUT have you seen the exchange rate on US $ compared to Canadian $ ? The shipping fees 1 way ($75USD) with the lens would be more than I would afford. Paying shipping one way for a lens board and retaining ring would be do able. The lens is a Fujinon EX 135/5.6.

heespharm
02-14-2015, 08:50 PM
Still looking a year later. Interference fit works temporarily but just barely. Thinking of mounting it also on my Calumet with a hat shutter. Lens board from it will work on my Beseler enlarger. Again a 101x101 mm square lens board with a Copal 3 sized hole with a 56mm retaining ring. Yes I know SK Grimes has what I need BUT have you seen the exchange rate on US $ compared to Canadian $ ? The shipping fees 1 way ($75USD) with the lens would be more than I would afford. Paying shipping one way for a lens board and retaining ring would be do able. The lens is a Fujinon EX 135/5.6.

Look up machinists in your area... Maybe one has a lathe that can take raw material and cut threads in the inside...making lens boards are easy but finding that retaining ring may be impossible

dances_w_clouds
02-15-2015, 12:49 AM
Look up machinists in your area... Maybe one has a lathe that can take raw material and cut threads in the inside...making lens boards are easy but finding that retaining ring may be impossible

Yes thanks. I haven't been to dedicated in looking but now I have several 4x5 negs that definitly need printing and toning in a very bad way. Just though SOMEONE would have such hadware taking up space that the need it gone. Did not think that it would be bad when I bought the lens a few years ago but I have been wrong before...

Ian C
02-15-2015, 10:16 AM
According to the following information on the KHB Photographix site the Fujinon EX 135mm f/5.6 enlarging lens requires a 53mm x 0.75 flange or retaining ring:

http://store.khbphotografix.com/Fujinon-EX-135mm-f5.6-Enlarging-Lens-for-4-x5-Negatives-Used.html

That size was also used by the original 150/5.6 EL Nikkor enlarging lenses and the 240/9 and 180/9 APO Nikkor process lenses. This makes it more likely that this size mounting flange or retaining ring could be found used.

The Omega 421-915 lens plate is threaded 53mm x 0.75 for mounting lenses of that thread on Omega D5/D6 enlargers. This plate can be easily mounted to a 4 x 4 Beseler lens board by drilling and tapping a couple of #6-32 screws to mount the Omega plate to the Beseler lens board. The two small holes in the photo given in the following link of the Omega plate are clearance holes for #6 screws to pass through. The Omega 421-915 plate can be found used on eBay from time to time.

http://www.khbphotografix.com/omega/LensMountD5.htm

Possibly KHB Photographix could help you with a mount for your lens.

I suggest measuring the outside diameter with a micrometer or dial caliper to be certain of the actual thread diameter of your lens and try to acquire the appropriate sized flange, threaded plate, or retaining ring.

dances_w_clouds
02-15-2015, 02:11 PM
According to the following information on the KHB Photographix site the Fujinon EX 135mm f/5.6 enlarging lens requires a 53mm x 0.75 flange or retaining ring:

http://store.khbphotografix.com/Fujinon-EX-135mm-f5.6-Enlarging-Lens-for-4-x5-Negatives-Used.html

That size was also used by the original 150/5.6 EL Nikkor enlarging lenses and the 240/9 and 180/9 APO Nikkor process lenses. This makes it more likely that this size mounting flange or retaining ring could be found used.

The Omega 421-915 lens plate is threaded 53mm x 0.75 for mounting lenses of that thread on Omega D5/D6 enlargers. This plate can be easily mounted to a 4” x 4” Beseler lens board by drilling and tapping a couple of #6-32 screws to mount the Omega plate to the Beseler lens board. The two small holes in the photo given in the following link of the Omega plate are clearance holes for #6 screws to pass through. The Omega 421-915 plate can be found used on eBay from time to time.

http://www.khbphotografix.com/omega/LensMountD5.htm

Possibly KHB Photographix could help you with a mount for your lens.

I suggest measuring the outside diameter with a micrometer or dial caliper to be certain of the actual thread diameter of your lens and try to acquire the appropriate sized flange, threaded plate, or retaining ring.

Great. Thanks for the info. KHB had the product I was looking for. I see my mistake now as I was roughly measuring the size with a tape measure not a caliper. With a few other mods I can have it installed properly. Finally.....