PDA

View Full Version : Wanted to borrow: Silver Gelatin - A Users Guide

mossbloom
03-02-2014, 11:44 PM
Wanted to borrow: Silver Gelatin: A Users Guide by Reed & Jones. Two of us are planning a large liquid emulsion print project, and we just can't afford the cost of a used book (don't even think about a new one). I'll gladly pay shipping to and from anyone who might be willing to lend. All I need is a quick read: I know the book has lots of information that doesn't apply.

Mike Crawford
03-03-2014, 02:49 AM
Interesting. On Abebooks.com, people are selling it from 20 to almost 600!

Which is crazy as is still in print and can be bought from the shop were it all started in the first place for a very reasonable 20.
http://www.silverprint.co.uk/ProductByGroup.asp?PrGrp=163

TheToadMen
03-03-2014, 02:52 AM
Hi Mossbloom,
Where are you located and what part of the book do you need?
Bert

mossbloom
03-03-2014, 10:44 AM
Hi Bert----

I'm located in Cotati, CA, USA, just north of San Francisco. What my shooting buddy and I are working on what we call the GWPP--the Great Wall Print Project. He's the artist: I'm the technical guy. The idea is to do three large panels--perhaps 3X5 feet (portrait orientation)--on a theme. Liquid emulsion on canvas, exposed with a projector. We've done proof-of-concept with RC photo paper; now it's time to try the liquid emulsion (which looks to be Foma). So...not having seen the Silver Gelatin User's Guide, all I can go on is the few limited descriptions I've read, but I'm interested in learning more about application, development, fixing, durability, fogging, etc. I don't care about putting LE on rocks etc. Amazon lists the book new for $215, with one used for $93. Too much for this photographer living on social security. So...can you do a loan?

Al
mossbloom

Zelph
03-03-2014, 10:56 AM
Try your local Public Library for an Inter Library Loan request.

They migh be able to get you a copy using their sysem. Have had good luck doing this for many older and hard to find books.

Photo Engineer
03-03-2014, 11:13 AM
Reed used to post here, and said he was working on a 2nd edition.

You should know that not all of the emulsions in the first edition were tested and there are quite a few misprints in the emulsion section. So, tread warily. I suggest you keep in touch with us here on APUG to help step you through.

PE

TheToadMen
03-04-2014, 04:35 PM
Hi Bert----

I'm located in Cotati, CA, USA, just north of San Francisco. What my shooting buddy and I are working on what we call the GWPP--the Great Wall Print Project. He's the artist: I'm the technical guy. The idea is to do three large panels--perhaps 3X5 feet (portrait orientation)--on a theme. Liquid emulsion on canvas, exposed with a projector. We've done proof-of-concept with RC photo paper; now it's time to try the liquid emulsion (which looks to be Foma). So...not having seen the Silver Gelatin User's Guide, all I can go on is the few limited descriptions I've read, but I'm interested in learning more about application, development, fixing, durability, fogging, etc. I don't care about putting LE on rocks etc. Amazon lists the book new for $215, with one used for $93. Too much for this photographer living on social security. So...can you do a loan?

Al
mossbloom

I'll send you a PM

mossbloom
03-04-2014, 06:12 PM
Call me a Luddite, ToadMen, but I can't figure out to reply to a PM. Email is mossbloomstudio@gmail.com

Al

TheToadMen
03-05-2014, 01:28 AM
Hi Al,
I've forwarded the PM to your mail. You can remove your email address in this thread now (to save a bit of privacy).
Bert