PDA

View Full Version : Monthly Shooting Assignment - March and April 2014 - SALT

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Thomas Bertilsson
03-03-2014, 09:10 AM
I am honored to have prevailed as the winner of the Jan/Feb assignment, especially with such other fine contributions. I enjoyed many of them, particularly the very creative efforts with home built cameras.

As a theme for the next two months, I bring a topic that is different and extremely wide open for interpretation. I want you to discuss 'Salt' with your photographs. As you know, historically salt has paid a tremendous significance to the culture of humans, surviving even. Politics, history, spice, preserving, cooking, health issues, etc etc etc.
It has long been a very important ingredient to lead life, a much discussed one, and you can come at the subject matter from any way it feels meaningful to you.

I hope this is a both challenging and inspiring topic, and maybe advantageous to those who live in an area where it's extracted, packaged, resold, etc, but such is life - unfair and capricious. :)

Good luck, and feel free to flog me with a dull spoon if you feel the topic is completely out of whack.

Here is a link (http://www.apug.org/forums/forum195/111897-monthly-shooting-assignment-guidelines.html) to the shooting guidelines.

- Thomas

barbara ann
03-03-2014, 10:24 AM
Thomas, I think the subject is both unique and challenging! My brain is already busy conjuring up ways to utilize salt in images! Prolly won't have to go too far out my kitchen for this one! LOL

StoneNYC
03-03-2014, 10:26 AM
Hmm this will certainly be interesting, wish I could live in Poland to get images of that salt cave city place.... I think it's Poland? Anyway, hmmm

Thomas Bertilsson
03-03-2014, 10:47 AM
Hmm this will certainly be interesting, wish I could live in Poland to get images of that salt cave city place.... I think it's Poland? Anyway, hmmm

Or France, or Sicily, or... :) Perhaps you have a desalination plant near you, for drinking water?

mgb74
03-03-2014, 11:01 AM
Thomas must have his mind on salt when he tries to navigate our ice covered streets.

Thomas Bertilsson
03-03-2014, 11:03 AM
Thomas must have his mind on salt when he tries to navigate our ice covered streets.

There's yet another angle of salt I had not considered... :)

StoneNYC
03-03-2014, 11:04 AM
Or France, or Sicily, or... :) Perhaps you have a desalination plant near you, for drinking water?

Nope, it's either re-used from already used water, or from reservoirs, but I'm not worried I just think that city of salt in a cave is neat

jeffreyg
03-03-2014, 11:42 AM
My submission for "Salt"

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Thomas Bertilsson
03-03-2014, 11:47 AM
My submission for "Salt"

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Gold star for posting early. Is this a new shot, or from the archives? Gold star removed if it's from the archives... ;)

NedL
03-03-2014, 12:31 PM
This will be interesting! I am intrigued to see what interpretations come in!

StoneNYC
03-03-2014, 01:59 PM
That was fast wow! I'm backed up with developing so I won't be submitting right away even if I can think of something to shoot.

NedL
03-03-2014, 03:03 PM
I just learned some fascinating history of my area and now I know what I will try to do for this MSA. My idea could be very difficult, but it will be fun to try.

TheToadMen
03-03-2014, 04:45 PM
Nice theme and - again - completely different.
I'll come up with something, don't know what yet, but I will!!
Still want to win once .... so I won't take it with a grain of salt ....

MattKing
03-03-2014, 06:12 PM
I'm scratching my head. What sort of photograph can you use to illustrate a "Strategic Arms Limitation Treaty"?

StoneNYC
03-03-2014, 07:12 PM
All the images I can imagine involve nudity LOL

Thomas Bertilsson
03-03-2014, 07:15 PM
All the images I can imagine involve nudity LOL

Nothing wrong with that.

StoneNYC
03-03-2014, 07:20 PM
Nothing wrong with that.

:)

TheToadMen
03-04-2014, 03:50 AM
I'm scratching my head. What sort of photograph can you use to illustrate a "Strategic Arms Limitation Treaty"?

Buy a ticket into the Ukraine and become a war correspondent...

Bertus
03-05-2014, 04:13 AM
Same to me!

Thomas, I think the subject is both unique and challenging! My brain is already busy conjuring up ways to utilize salt in images! Prolly won't have to go too far out my kitchen for this one! LOL

StoneNYC
03-05-2014, 10:42 AM
TaDa!

My first submission, I had to "kill" the end of an experimental roll of HP5+ shot at 6400 and souped in DD-X, somehow my overconfidence got the better of me and rather than develop it at 30 (rotary) minutes like I was supposed to, I did it for 18 minutes (roughly what you would use for HP5+ shot at 3200) so the negs were a bit thin to say the least, now I have to do the experiment all over again, oh and this roll was highly expired, the old white packaging for the roll, and also had the mint flavored roll seal, so I've heard Simon at Ilford mention the mint, and so it must have been a pretty old roll, it didn't have an expiry date.

Anyway, somehow I like the look, the framing was on target, and it's just more grainy than I had planned, still the contrast is about on target, something I probably couldn't print but scanner technology allowed me to pull the image. I don't adjustments unless I screwed up the roll, so, anyway, my first submission...

HP5+ at 6400 dev @3200 18min DD-X 1+4 - Mamiya RZ67 with extension tube 1+2 magnification about 1.5x with 90mm lens 1/60 @ f/8 cloudy light through the window - "Himalayan Rock Salt on butcher block"...

EDIT: I should mention, this was handheld... :)