PDA

View Full Version : Any information on a Braun F 22 flash unit

nixsar
03-04-2014, 02:11 PM
I have a Braun F 22 flash unit completely preserved and barely used with original cables and the instruction manual. I am trying to find information about it, but could find nothing anywhere. Does anybody know anything about it (specs, value, etc.) and is somebody interested in buying it or swapping it for something else, or tell me of a place where I could offer it? I have no pictures of it at this time, but I can upload them in a few days if that would help.

Many thanks.

randyB
03-05-2014, 11:10 PM
Photos would help a lot.

nixsar
03-06-2014, 09:36 AM
Photos would help a lot.

Thanks and I hope it helps.

randyB
03-09-2014, 11:35 AM
Looks to be an early-mid 60's flash. If it has ni-cad batteries they probably won't hold a charge. Value is zero, I've thrown away many of this type in years past when they quit working. I may still have a few in my junk box of photo equipment. If by chance it still works, you CAN use it, but I would not, especially with any post 80's electronic controlled cameras including digital. The discharge voltage of these older flashes could easily damage the electronics of newer cameras. If yours is in very nice condition you could make a "period" display with a 60's era camera.

AgX
03-09-2014, 11:53 AM
It is not the main discharge voltage of several hundred Volts that is critical, as the camera will not be in contact with it, but the discharge of an accessory circuit. This trigger voltage (and trigger current) is the one at the synchro contacts.

AgX
03-09-2014, 12:02 PM
At local fleamarkets such a set would be below 5€.
The guide number of many electronic flashlights is hidden in the designation. Be aware that in the past that guide number was refered to 18 and not 21 DIN. More simple is of course to calculate it from the dial.

Trask
03-09-2014, 12:54 PM
There used to be a device called something like Safe-Sync that went between the high-voltage trigger voltage and the hot shoe or PC socket on the camera; the SS lowered the trigger voltage to something like 7V or so that would not damage the contacts in the camera (or the electronic circuits on more modern cameras).

nixsar
03-10-2014, 04:44 AM
Thank you very much for all the replies. I guess the unit is pretty much garbage then as I wouldn't dare to connect it to my 5D MII. It's too bad though, because it does indeed work very well and it does hold a charge, although it is better to keep it plugged into a socket. Maybe even too well as I was able to illuminate stuff more than 20m away. Much stronger than my modern flash units.

AgX
03-10-2014, 05:57 AM
There are circuits drawings on the net or here of opto-coupler trigger devices. You might fit such circuit into your unit to make it useful for all cameras.

randyB
03-11-2014, 12:01 AM
You can still use it as a slave flash, just connect it to a slave sensor. The sensor sees the camera flash and trips the F-22 flash, no direct (wired) connection between camera and the F-22. I've done many commercial photo shoots were I had 4-5 flashes similar to the F-22 strung out 75-100 meters to light select areas of a huge warehouse interior.

nixsar
03-11-2014, 03:12 AM
Great idea and thanks, I think this is the only feasible way for me to use it.

snapguy
03-11-2014, 06:13 AM
I recently purchases a Honeywell Heiland Strobonar, (potato masher stlye), the same kind of flash unit I used in the late 1950s, early 1960s with my Rolleiflex. The thing works perfectly and matches up well with my new (to me) Crown Graphic 4x5, as well. I consider it a minor treasure for use when I want to go out Retro. Goes well with my gangster suit and hat and spats. With a Press card in the hatband. I think you should consider using your Braun unit in a similar manner.

AgX
03-11-2014, 06:19 AM
You can still use it as a slave flash, just connect it to a slave sensor. The sensor sees the camera flash and trips the F-22 flash, no direct (wired) connection between camera and the F-22. I've done many commercial photo shoots were I had 4-5 flashes similar to the F-22 strung out 75-100 meters to light select areas of a huge warehouse interior.

Using flash lights out of the rummage box would be the most economical way to gain in depth lighting if not those slave sensors would be scarce in those boxes...

nixsar
03-11-2014, 10:02 AM
Hehehe, nice, I would love to see a photo of that style.