PDA

View Full Version : What's the point of this?

Mainecoonmaniac
03-17-2014, 05:00 PM
This looks like a case of we have equipment that can do this so we're gonna. A case of boys and their toys? I find no artistic value what so ever.

http://petapixel.com/2014/03/17/face-cartography-shows-what-900-megapixel-portraits-look-like/

MattKing
03-17-2014, 05:05 PM
It looks to me like the intention is to make portraits of people who look and are as uncomfortable and unhappy as possible.

ic-racer
03-17-2014, 05:15 PM
Digital Chuck Close...

snapguy
03-17-2014, 05:25 PM
He did it because he could. Who knows, maybe somebody will figure out that it is actually worth doing. Columbus supposedly "discovered America." I imagine many explorers discovered places nobody had any use for.

Ken Nadvornick
03-17-2014, 05:27 PM
"Emotions are completely missing. Emotions show up only briefly while Macro photography takes half an hour. The person has to stay motionless while being photographed by the robot."

Hot dog! That's what we're after these days. It's the complete opposite of randomly generated works, but with exactly the same end results...

:w00t:

Ken

Dr Croubie
03-17-2014, 05:41 PM
"The website is temporarily unable to service your request as it exceeded resource limit. Please try again later."

Well, that is what happens when you try to host 900MP images.

As to the point? Probably the same as going to the moon or climbing everest. Because it's possible and noone has yet...

Mainecoonmaniac
03-17-2014, 05:52 PM
I remember when I saw Richard Avedon's The American West in a gallery in Chicago. The prints were huge mounted on aluminum. As some already know, Avedon did his work on his 8x10 camera. I could see the dirt on the pores on one of his subjects. I found the work interesting. But not these gigantoid digital shots. These shots seem clinical and sterile. They are just digital human scans.

pbromaghin
03-17-2014, 05:53 PM
Just call up illumiquest. He does this every day.

David A. Goldfarb
03-17-2014, 05:59 PM
The result doesn't look like it's higher resolution than what you could get shooting 8x10", not terribly fancy lenses, and drum scanning, and that you could do in a single shot without the subject having to hold still for however long it takes to make 600 exposures with a robot arm. Seems like a gimmick to me.

Truzi
03-17-2014, 08:01 PM
All that sophisticated equipment, and what looks like a barber's chair, lol.

It is interesting, but most people would not want every blemish and detail in their portraits.
This does remind me of stories abotu very old portraiture, with slow plates, and people having to sit motionless an uncomfortable for a long time. Perhaps they're just trying to recreate the original experience, but with modern tech.

Ken Nadvornick
03-17-2014, 08:06 PM
Wonder if there's a hidden antique iron head clamp behind all those ears?

Ken

Pioneer
03-17-2014, 08:21 PM
This looks like a case of we have equipment that can do this so we're gonna. A case of boys and their toys? I find no artistic value what so ever.

http://petapixel.com/2014/03/17/face-cartography-shows-what-900-megapixel-portraits-look-like/

Photography has many uses beyond just art.

Truzi
03-17-2014, 08:22 PM
Wonder if there's a hidden antique iron head clamp behind all those ears?

Ken
Watch closely. Around 23 seconds in you can see an head suppport.

Poisson Du Jour
03-17-2014, 09:15 PM
It proves one thing: humans are the only species to actually show the effects of ageing: warts and wrinkles and lines and sags and jowels 'n all. But the first rule of successful portraiture is not just aim the camera and shoot, it's what happens afterward: the vital importance to engage the viewer. Frankly, these images leave me bloody cold.

momus
03-17-2014, 09:54 PM
Nice, if you like that mug shot look.