PDA

View Full Version : Retaining ring for plate camera

Cybertrash
04-28-2014, 09:22 AM
I have an old Ica Sirene 135 (http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Sirene) plate camera for 9x12 glass plates that I'd like to start using, unfortunately the retaining ring for the lens got lost. I have a retaining ring that came with a 90mm Angulon that I have (the old one in the Synchro-Compur shutter) that is the right diameter, but I can't screw it on all the way. Any idea where I can find a ring that fits?

Ian Grant
04-28-2014, 09:51 AM
With the lens off the camera how far will the retaining ring screw ? The problem is the shutter predates the modern standard set by Compur in the late 1920s. I have some older Compurs with flanges or retaining rings and just checked, the issue is the threads are coarser (less per cm) than the newer Compurs but the same diameter, so either way they'll bind almost as soon as you try to screw them on..

New Compur/Copal/Prontor #0 retaing rings are sold by Heavystar on Ebay at a reasonable price, however getting hold of the older type is near impossible. I'd go and buy scrap folders for the parts, I saw boxes full yesterday some as low as a 1 if broken.

Try junk shops, Charity shops etc, place a Wanted advert here. I'm short of these myself so have none to spare unfortunately.

Ian

ntenny
04-28-2014, 11:30 AM
The easiest route might be to have a machine shop make one to fit. In the US this would be a natural job for S.K. Grimes; I don't know if there is an equivalent shop in Europe, but it seems like any metal shop should be able to measure the threads from the shutter and cut a corresponding ring.

-NT

Ian Grant
04-28-2014, 01:11 PM
The easiest route might be to have a machine shop make one to fit. In the US this would be a natural job for S.K. Grimes; I don't know if there is an equivalent shop in Europe, but it seems like any metal shop should be able to measure the threads from the shutter and cut a corresponding ring.

-NT

The cost of having one made would be prohibitive compared to the value of the camera/lens, in fact you could buy a lens & flange for less, Grimes charge $35 plus shipping, that's why I suggested finding a parts camera.

Ian