PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Zeiss Ikon 9 x 12 GG Back

sharpnikkor
05-18-2014, 06:07 PM
Hello,

I recently purchased a Zeiss Ikon 9 x 12 GG back that I thought would fit my Maximar B model 207/7.

Unfortunately the back did not fit the Maximar. For those that own one you know that the GG back, plate holders etc slide in and are held in place by the metal grooved sides.

This Zeiss Ikon back has a wood frame, fold-out hood and different edge configuration. I'll post some photos now.

Anyone have an idea of what Zeiss Ikon camera it might fit?

Thanks,

Ian Grant
05-19-2014, 04:39 AM
The problem is that after the merger of Zeiss, Contessa Nettel, Goerz, Erneman, ICA etc in 1927 the factories continued making some of the same models but badged as Zeiss Ikon before Zeiss did some serious restructuring. They did actually publish some images in a catalogue of the different edge fittings, I have the images them somewhere but I'm in the middle of moving house so may take a while to find.

Meanwhile it looks it might fit my Erneman, I need to find the two files because I have some boxes of plate holders to identify, (over 150) along with some film pack holders and other oddments.

Ian

Ian Grant
05-19-2014, 03:07 PM
This is a temporary file, translated from Swedish and reworked. It gives an idea of the edges of plate holders, I have a second one and possibly another plus a lot of plate holders -some marked by the manufacturers.

Hope it helps. Essentially you have a focus screen holder / back that also fits a pre Zeiss Ikon camera and the model continued under ZI, many were dropped within 2 to 3 years.

When I've finished the other image(s) I'll post them on the sticky thread.

Ian

sharpnikkor
05-21-2014, 09:53 AM
Ian, thanks for posting the image of the plate holder edges. I didn't realize the variety of plate holders under Zeiss Ikon.

I'll have to post some better photos of the edges on the GG frame to see what matches.

apkujeong
09-09-2014, 08:31 PM
Looks very much like a back for a 9x12 Ideal, it'd also fit a 9x12 Juwel. The G40 stamp seems common on backs for those cameras.