PDA

View Full Version : Plate Camera and Film/Tintype

Archimedes the Dog
05-26-2014, 01:02 AM
Is there a way to convert a dry plate holder to take the Rockland metal sheets and perhaps 4x5 sheet film? Am I looking for a film camera instead? I don't care to shoot glass at this time.

Thanks!

DannL.
05-26-2014, 01:25 AM
Are you in possession of a holder that requires a conversion? Film sheaths (inserts) are usually available for many plate holders. "Or" are you shopping for a 4x5 camera with holders that will accommodate film? Have you looked at the gear for sale on eBay? A lot of questions . . . I know.

Archimedes the Dog
05-26-2014, 01:34 AM
Thanks! I am considering the purchase of a specific 4x5 plate camera with plate holders. I could wait to see if the inserts ever show up online, I know they were made for that camera, but I was wondering if there was another solution.

Are the Rockland sheets thin enough to use in film holders?

DannL.
05-26-2014, 10:41 AM
I see now you're looking into Rockland's tintype kit. Based on what I have read here (http://rockaloid.com/Tintype-kit-authentic) they state the sheets will fit any camera. To me that means a modern film holders included. You should email them directly with the same question, though. It could save you some hardship in the end. I hope to get the opportunity to play with tintypes someday.

A note: Some older plate cameras will accept both more modern sheet-film holders and some older plate holders. My 8x10 and 5x7 for example, take both. The only modification required when switching between using glass plates and sheet film is that I must flip the focusing screen around to maintain a proper distance to the lens.

jnanian
05-26-2014, 10:54 AM
Thanks! I am considering the purchase of a specific 4x5 plate camera with plate holders. I could wait to see if the inserts ever show up online, I know they were made for that camera, but I was wondering if there was another solution.

Are the Rockland sheets thin enough to use in film holders?

hi there

the rockland sheets will fit in a sheet film holder,
you might have to trim 1/32" off its a snug fit, i can't remember if
i did that or not, i usually put them in a falling plate camera
with matboard to take up the extra space in the magazine septum
but they are trimmed to fit in a film holder without issue.

you could CONVERT your plate holders to take both plates and tins
but that would mean destroying it ... cutting a rectangle through the septum
( the thing between the 2 sides in a double holder ) putting wire in the corners and putting a 2nd sheet of glass
in the back you can google " convert a film holder to wet plate " for the details ...
you won't get a full 4x5 view but a cropped one ( remaining septum crops plate ) ...
you can probably pick up old wooden film ( or modern plastic ) holders for 4x5
they might fit in your plate camera but keep in mind wide open your focus might be a smidgen off
because of the difference in the "T" distance between the focal plane and the film ( instead of glass )
this different focus distance never bothered me and if you shoot plates in a modern camera or plate holders
with a septum you will have the same change of t-distance ( again a tiny tiny amount of difference )...

have fun!
john

j-dogg
05-26-2014, 11:13 AM
hi there

the rockland sheets will fit in a sheet film holder,
you might have to trim 1/32" off its a snug fit, i can't remember if
i did that or not, i usually put them in a falling plate camera
with matboard to take up the extra space in the magazine septum
but they are trimmed to fit in a film holder without issue.

you could CONVERT your plate holders to take both plates and tins
but that would mean destroying it ... cutting a rectangle through the septum
( the thing between the 2 sides in a double holder ) putting wire in the corners and putting a 2nd sheet of glass
in the back you can google " convert a film holder to wet plate " for the details ...
you won't get a full 4x5 view but a cropped one ( remaining septum crops plate ) ...
you can probably pick up old wooden film ( or modern plastic ) holders for 4x5
they might fit in your plate camera but keep in mind wide open your focus might be a smidgen off
because of the difference in the "T" distance between the focal plane and the film ( instead of glass )
this different focus distance never bothered me and if you shoot plates in a modern camera or plate holders
with a septum you will have the same change of t-distance ( again a tiny tiny amount of difference )...

have fun!
john

came here to post this. beat me to it.

I do believe the spring mechanism on some of the plate holders that retains the plate may interfere with sheet film. I have a 5x7 and two of my plate holders have a large retaining spring at the bottom that would definitely get in the way of 5x7 sheet film, but if you were doing tintypes it shouldn't be a problem.