PDA

View Full Version : Let's all shoot 1 camera and see what happens

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Nicole
03-27-2005, 03:19 AM
Hi everyone, sure I'll send cd's, prints whatever you want.
I suggest waiting until the camera is closer to the end.
Has the camera been sent off yet?
Did someone say sending the negs to Sean?

BWGirl
03-27-2005, 09:41 AM
what about using something like snapfish? Ever heard of them? They are a photo sharing website. Here's the URL:

www.snapfish.com

They'll even develop the film. I think you need email addresses for everyone to view & download the pics.

Anyway...another option to look into. :)

ggriffi
03-27-2005, 10:43 AM
Nicole,

The camera has its shot and I will be sending on its way tomorrow.

G

janvanhove
03-28-2005, 05:11 AM
I'd like to give my name for the next round, I'm in Belgium...
How many people are on that second round ?

PJ

MattCarey
03-28-2005, 12:55 PM
what about using something like snapfish? Ever heard of them? They are a photo sharing website. Here's the URL:

www.snapfish.com

They'll even develop the film. I think you need email addresses for everyone to view & download the pics.

Anyway...another option to look into. :)

Have you used them with good luck?

I have used their sister company "York Photo"* since that is my wife's historical processing company. They are OK for color, a disaster for B&W. Oddly, they are one of the few mail-order places that will do B&W, and the price is the same as for color. For standard B&W, I have had prints come back really washed-out (poor development) and a few rolls with scratched negatives. They sent me a note with one roll noting that somehow I had scratched the negatives..odd since I don't see it in my processing (or in film sent to A&I). Also, the scratches were not along the roll direction.

I have tried a couple of rolls of C41 B&W with them. The first set was great. Other sets are brown. One set the negs are either scratched or there are other major defects in the emulsions. The most recent roll was lost entirely. This is really odd since they sent us a letter telling us they had lost the payment and we needed to send them a check (i.e. they have the roll!). I only really use them because the grandparents can check the new pictures out and download them directly.

Given the slightly higher prices for Snapfish (price per print, they charge for downloading scans), maybe they won't suffer the same problems as York.

Matt

* check out the websites for york and snapfish--basically the same style and layout. It used to be that some of the pages for york went to snapfish.

kwmullet
03-28-2005, 02:15 PM
[...]
* check out the websites for york and snapfish--basically the same style and layout. It used to be that some of the pages for york went to snapfish.

I'd think that if we used one of those types of sites rather than putting a gallery up on apug, it should be one that lets you open up the images to the entire public. Also, what happens one the second, third or fourth camera? Would these things have the quota to permit that number of albums to be shown?

I would think, wherever these images end up, it should be somewhere that the entirety of APUG could view, enjoy and easily comment on them within apug rather than restricting access to a specific set of users/passwords.

-KwM-

ggriffi
03-28-2005, 04:12 PM
Thread stickied and can make a gallery for it if needed..

Since Sean has offered to us the use of a gallery I think that we should post them here.Also,I have just sent the camera on its merry way to disfromage.

G

BWGirl
03-28-2005, 05:52 PM
I've never used Snapfish nor York. I thought it might be an inexpensive way for us all to download the images. :(

It's great that we have a place her where we will be able to view them.

jnanian
03-28-2005, 06:02 PM
i'm kind of late here, but wally's-mart uses fuji labs, they are ultra-cheap and do good work ( i can complain and i've sent hundreds of rolls to them ) if it is B&W, they send it to dwayne's ( happyd.com) and i've never had a problem with things sent there either. they will also burn cd's and for 'premium processing" will host images to their website for a period of time. i think premium processing (color/samsclub/walmart-->fuji) is something like $4-5. we always do double-24's and it is $4.04USD ...

M. Walter Lyon
03-29-2005, 01:54 PM
Actually I just used walmart online for the first time and was very dissapointed. not only did they try to lighten up my night time shots, but half of them were only half frame.
I have to agree that if Sean is good enough to give us space we should use it. I really don't understand why we would want to put them anywhere else.

kwmullet
03-29-2005, 02:06 PM
Could ggriffi or someone whose already had the camera post a link to a product description of the camera itself? I'd like to start thinking about what my shot will be, and want to see just what the limitations of this thing are. (flash? fixed or auto exposure? longest shutter speed? ISO? underwaterable?)

Thanks,
-KwM-

Richard Wasserman
03-29-2005, 07:27 PM
[QUOTE=kwmullet]Could ggriffi or someone whose already had the camera post a link to a product description of the camera itself? I'd like to start thinking about what my shot will be, and want to see just what the limitations of this thing are. (flash? fixed or auto exposure? longest shutter speed? ISO? underwaterable?)

I just received the camera today, so I can answer all your questions. It is a Kodak black and white disposable camera with built in flash that has a range of 2.5 to 12 feet. It has an Ektanar lens (I'm impressed!). It's all plastic so probably won't break too easily and oh yes it does have a shutter release button, which is the only control on this beast. No need to worry about f/stops, shutter speeds, focus, or much of anything else. I don't think that it can be used underwater as it says on the bottom: 'protect from heat, x-rays, and water.' It is a really basic point and shoot. Now I have to figure out how to imortalize myself.

Richard

Nige
03-29-2005, 07:54 PM
I really don't understand why we would want to put them anywhere else.

I interpret the discusssions as being how do people get hard copies into their possession as opposed to how do we view them (I agree, in a gallery here). Organising and sending off multiple CD's or prints could be both a logistic nightmare and costly, and transferring small amounts of money across the world is not economical or even feasable in some cases.

So... I propose Nicole gets them processed and scanned at the same time (depending on quality... my experience with these cheap "CD at time of processing" wasn't good, but things may have changed. The resolution must be good enough to print a 6x4 at least). If she has film scanning abilities, just get the film 'processed only' (which is usually a couple of bucks) then she can scan them herself (the cheap but time consuming option). Then, someone (and I'll volunteer here) can host the printable files for everyone else to download whichever ones they want (assuming everyones fine with that, or individual files could be emailed to the picture-taker) and they send it to their photo-printer of choice. They can all be resized suitable for the screen and sent to Sean to place in a gallery (probably not fair on anyone to have to upload using their own quotas). How's that for a plan! Thoughts? Alternatively, if we deem it neccessary to keep this analogue, she could get the prints done at time of processing, and send your print back to you as a postcard ($1.10 AUD a card + processing costs though)

roteague
03-29-2005, 07:58 PM
I'm not really interested in hard copies, web postings are fine with me.

Bob F.
03-29-2005, 08:19 PM
Managed to miss out on this (baggsies a place on the next round!) but I notice the camera is going seriously intercontinental. Is it not going to get blasted with high intensity X-rays on several occasions?

Anyone know a way around that? Would putting it in an x-ray blocking envelope work or will they then open it to see what it is and then blast it anyway once it's out of the bag (or even open it up!)?

Bob (really NOT trying to be a pain...).

ggriffi
03-29-2005, 08:28 PM
I am relieved to see that the camera made it safely on the first leg of the trip!!! Seriously though, the option that I think makes most sense is to let Nicole process the film as she sees fit. Whether that is process only, process with cd, however she sees fit. And since we have been given the oppurtunity to post them here I think that is best as well. If only because of the number of people who saw this thread to late to get in and have shown interest in what is going own so much so that there is talk of already starting another one. Lastly, something new about the prints perhaps when the images are posted perhaps we could figure a way to do a print exchange with each other, with the caveat the we ALL get a copy of our own print as well. Perhaps near the end I will set up a poll with the options that have been mentioned and we all vote on it.

As always just my opinions as I want what the group wants.

G

Sanjay Sen
03-29-2005, 08:29 PM
Managed to miss out on this (baggsies a place on the next round!) but I notice the camera is going seriously intercontinental. Is it not going to get blasted with high intensity X-rays on several occasions?

Anyone know a way around that? Would putting it in an x-ray blocking envelope work or will they then open it to see what it is and then blast it anyway once it's out of the bag (or even open it up!)?

Bob (really NOT trying to be a pain...).
Bob, airport security usually say that films faster than 800 will get damaged. Anything slower should be okay, although personally I insist that they not scan my film (usually 100, 200, or 400). I am guessing the little beast will not have anything faster than 800.

Bob F.
03-29-2005, 08:45 PM
Bob, airport security usually say that films faster than 800 will get damaged. Anything slower should be okay, although personally I insist that they not scan my film (usually 100, 200, or 400). I am guessing the little beast will not have anything faster than 800.

That's for checked and hand luggage - I believe freight gets zapped with much higher intensity rays. I may be wrong as I have no 1st hand experience but I have read threads on other forums to that effect.

Bob.

gbroadbridge
03-29-2005, 08:50 PM

If you put the camera in a x-ray blocking bag, they'll simply crank up the xray machine power until they can see through the bag :)

With the speed film contained in disposable cameras, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Graham.

BWGirl
03-29-2005, 09:07 PM
I interpret the discusssions as being how do people get hard copies into their possession as opposed to how do we view them (I agree, in a gallery here). Organising and sending off multiple CD's or prints could be both a logistic nightmare and costly, and transferring small amounts of money across the world is not economical or even feasable in some cases.

So... I propose Nicole gets them processed and scanned at the same time (depending on quality... my experience with these cheap "CD at time of processing" wasn't good, but things may have changed. The resolution must be good enough to print a 6x4 at least). If she has film scanning abilities, just get the film 'processed only' (which is usually a couple of bucks) then she can scan them herself (the cheap but time consuming option). Then, someone (and I'll volunteer here) can host the printable files for everyone else to download whichever ones they want (assuming everyones fine with that, or individual files could be emailed to the picture-taker) and they send it to their photo-printer of choice. They can all be resized suitable for the screen and sent to Sean to place in a gallery (probably not fair on anyone to have to upload using their own quotas). How's that for a plan! Thoughts? Alternatively, if we deem it neccessary to keep this analogue, she could get the prints done at time of processing, and send your print back to you as a postcard ($1.10 AUD a card + processing costs though)

That is very generous of you, Nige! Sounds like at least one option to consider!