PDA

View Full Version : A Very Small Texas Outing..

photomc
03-26-2005, 07:01 AM
Jeremy Moore and I met up on Friday at one of the State Parks, Ft. Richardson, for a very small LF outing.

Sorry, it was a last minute sort of thing, but we had a great time. At least I did, it was fun seeing how someone else 'sees' things. Now, it was just a tad cool, and a lot windy..did I mention we had some wind. It was a good test for the new BlackJacket Jeremy has, and you can bet that after getting beat up by my darkcolth, will be looking at replacing it with a BlackJacket soon.

So there we were, a couple of novice LF guys with our Burke and James 5x7's, must have been a site for the other visitors.

You should have seen Jeremy's camera, I think he used every movement the old B&J had..and then some. Think he may have made some snaps of it, so maybe we can get him to post them later. It was my first outing with my B&J. Of course if there is anything worth posting will post some of the images. But it was still fun just getting together and talking about photography.

Jeremy
03-26-2005, 09:56 AM
Yep, I got some action shots of Mike doing the LF thing (you know, taking pictures). It was really funny to go out and take pictures when we both have the exact same camera--I didn't think of it then, but I should have shot a photo of the cameras side-by-side (Mike, we'll have to do this next time).

I had never shot LF with another photog before (the only other time I had shot with another photog was with Kevin Mullet and little Kodak Hawkeye Brownies--had a blast then, too!) and it was really helpful to see how someone else sees with LF. In addition, I also pestered Mike with some questions about a couple of shots and he reminded me to shift so as to remove my reflection from the window.

Never before had I ever used so much movement and it was a blast. Yesterday was the first day I saw the looming edge of the image circle come into view on the ground glass in the actual couse of taking a photo.

There was even one shot I took where Ole would have been proud: I had to shoot through a window and very low to the groune, but becauase of deep sill I couldn't use the tripod to get the lens close enough to the glass to dispell reflections--so I hand-held the sucker up there :) Really curious to see how this came out!

Ditto on hoping Mike and I both got some good stuff (from what he was shooting I don't see how he couldn't have) and I will develop the film ASAP.

Jeremy
03-26-2005, 09:58 AM
Now, it was just a tad cool, and a lot windy..did I mention we had some wind. It was a good test for the new BlackJacket Jeremy has, and you can bet that after getting beat up by my darkcolth, will be looking at replacing it with a BlackJacket soon.

Unsolicited BIG suggestion that if you shoot LF to get a BlackJacket--after shooting with it I would never want to shoot without it.

David Brown
03-26-2005, 12:03 PM
... But it was still fun just getting together and talking about photography.

I've been thinking about posting this for a while, and now you two have inspired me. (And sorry if I seem to be hijacking your thread.)

There are a number of us in the north Texas "metroplex". Any interest in a get together, even if just socially? It would be fun to put faces to names. Is there a good coffee shop/diner in the middle of the metroplex that we could all meet up for lunch some Saturday? Any other ideas?

FWIW, I am going to the workshop at Lee's in May. (I believe we have people from all over at that.) :cool:

Cheers, y'all.

David

lee
03-26-2005, 12:06 PM
David,

great idea. count me in just name the place and time and if not booked I will attend happily.

lee\c

photomc
03-26-2005, 12:28 PM
I've been thinking about posting this for a while, and now you two have inspired me. (And sorry if I seem to be hijacking your thread.)

There are a number of us in the north Texas "metroplex". Any interest in a get together, even if just socially? It would be fun to put faces to names. Is there a good coffee shop/diner in the middle of the metroplex that we could all meet up for lunch some Saturday? Any other ideas?

FWIW, I am going to the workshop at Lee's in May. (I believe we have people from all over at that.) :cool:

Cheers, y'all.

David

Great idea David, shooting wold be fun, but names with faces would be as well. Let me know, and like Lee will be there (of course work schedules, etc will have to be checked) BTW, will be a the workshop in May, so will see you there.

kwmullet
03-26-2005, 07:34 PM
Hey -- count me in as an interested party too! I'm in Denton, and last I tried to count, there were maybe 10 or so North Texas APUGers. Numerous activites come to mind.

Coffee & social would be cool.

Also, I'll bet with the local dot-edu connections, maybe someone could wrangle us a classroom or public meeting place somewhere and a few of us could each do a presentation or talk on some aspect of analog photography and invite the general public

A "North Texas Shoot-out"? We could find a likely spot like an auto salvage yard or abandoned train depot and spend a half day shooting there, then meet up in a week or two to discuss our prints.

thoughts?

As with the others above, I'd love to attend such things as schedule permits. I just got accepted to re-enter college, and also just got a new part-time job to help fund the schoolin' and the photography, so I'll be trying to learn the fine art of schedule shoehorning for a while.

photomc
03-27-2005, 10:26 AM
Here are a couple of work prints from the outing..

These were some of the first shots done with the B&J 5x7, they were done with the Caltar 150. The 2nd one tells me I need to really watch the movements, did not notice the convergence in the post.

Also both were a bit contrasty so metering was done with the shadow and highlights in mind...they are bit underexposed in my mind..the negatives are really dense.

Jeremy
03-27-2005, 11:32 AM
You are too quick for me, Mike. I had a wonderful dinner with Lee and his wife last night and when I came home I had to get to some homework so as to free up time on Sunday. Hopefully I will have all of the homework done so I can develop tonight.

photomc
03-27-2005, 12:31 PM
You are too quick for me, Mike. I had a wonderful dinner with Lee and his wife last night and when I came home I had to get to some homework so as to free up time on Sunday. Hopefully I will have all of the homework done so I can develop tonight.

Not really Jeremy..only had 3 holders (six films) to develop. Unfortunately these 2 are the only ones that came out. It appears that the holders have light leaks in them...had not checked them prior to this..most have been loaded for a couple of weeks. But not a complete loss, after seeing how you had labeled your holders, will do something like that and use some 5x7 paper to check for leaks and go from there. Looking forward to seeing what you have..

David Brown
03-27-2005, 02:48 PM
Jeremy and Mike:

I'm going to start a new thread about the "social" get together and let this thread be about your pictures. Also, with a more desciptive title, maybe we'll get more takers.

Cheers

David

Jeremy
03-30-2005, 08:31 PM
Here's one of my shots from that day and I'll be printing at least one more tonight in between studying Latin.

12" Ilex Paragon
Tri-X Pan 320 (the old Tri-X) developed in Pyrocat 2:2:100.
Pure palladium print on Stonehenge Rising White.

Looking at this shot makes me wish I had shot more of the roof, I love the texture!

photomc
03-30-2005, 08:46 PM
Good stuff Jeremy, looks like you got the shot you were after...even with the long wait. :)

Can't wait to see the rest of what you took...

Jeremy
03-30-2005, 08:50 PM
Good stuff Jeremy, looks like you got the shot you were after...even with the long wait. :)

Can't wait to see the rest of what you took...

For those checking in, I wanted some clouds in the image and they were perfect while I was setting up but of course had moved on by the time I was ready to shoot. So I ended up leaving the camera ready to shoot for ~30minutes while some more clouds rolled in--I just bugged Mike while he was making another shot during that time :)

Jeremy
03-31-2005, 09:59 PM
Here's two more shots, this time I just stuck them in the gallery.

Corner Stone (http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=6592)

Windows (http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=6593)

And for good measure, here is a shot from a while back that I took in the dry cleaners where I work:

Daisy Cleaners: Duct System (http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=6591)

kwmullet
03-31-2005, 11:13 PM
[...]
And for good measure, here is a shot from a while back that I took in the dry cleaners where I work:

Daisy Cleaners: Duct System (http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=6591)

Jeremy,

With all the great stuff you've produced from that cleaners, have you thought of (a) creating a gallery of your fine art prints in the cleaner's lobby and/or (b) joining the Visual Arts Society of Texas (http://www.vastarts.org/) and seeing if one of the galleries they're associated with would show your series of "wet process prints from a dry cleaner"?

-KwM-

Jeremy
04-01-2005, 12:06 AM
Jeremy,

With all the great stuff you've produced from that cleaners, have you thought of (a) creating a gallery of your fine art prints in the cleaner's lobby and/or (b) joining the Visual Arts Society of Texas (http://www.vastarts.org/) and seeing if one of the galleries they're associated with would show your series of "wet process prints from a dry cleaner"?

-KwM-

Lol, now that is a show title! I love a good pun every time.

I have one photo up in the cleaners (the dry cleaning machine) and I have been given the go ahead to hang at least 2 more. I printed 2 8x8" pds of the duct system, one will be matted and mailed to a friend and the other will be going up in the cleaners. I have another shot where I revisited a previous shot of the shirt iron and came away with something I am even happier with. There are also 3-4 rolls of 35mm that I have shot in the cleaners and at least 2 more rolls of 120 that I need to find. I am there 6 days a week I can't help but shoot.

photomc
04-01-2005, 08:31 AM
Good Stuff here Jeremy...you did the 150 proud. :)