PDA

View Full Version : North Texas APUG get together

Pages : [1] 2

David Brown
03-27-2005, 03:58 PM
I have proposed a get together for those of us in the North Texas (metroplex) area. I would like to find a diner/coffee shop more or less centrally located that those of us from Dallas, Tarant, Denton and Collin counties, et al, could reach easily. Maybe a Saturday lunch, for instance, where we could all meet up and get acquanted - place faces to names. Then, maybe we could exchange some ideas for possible shooting outings, or other "working" meets.

I need suggestions as to location. I live in East Dallas, so I know this area, and also know it is a long way from Ft. Worth or Denton.

I do know of a place in Carrollton that would work (Norma's on Beltline), but if any one has suggestions in say Lewisville, Grapevine, Coppell, etc., that would be good.

So far, "lee", "photomc", and "kwmullet" have expressed an interest. There's got to be 10-12 of us (if not more) in the area. Let me know.

Cheers

David Brown

Jeremy
03-27-2005, 08:43 PM
I would definitely like to come, but if it's on a Saturday I work every Saturday until 2pm. Any chance we could do this on a Sunday afternoon or maybe a late Saturday afternoon? One idea that might be fun is to arrange the meeting to be a gallery trip to Routh St in Dallas or the Amon Carter in FW--just throwing out ideas. If we all have some prints to share we could try and find a coffee house that's a little more low key with some extra room to share (i.e. not a Starbucks).

david b
03-27-2005, 08:55 PM
You know, Santa Fe is sometimes considered North Texas. Especially in the summertime.

photomc
03-27-2005, 10:35 PM
You know, Santa Fe is sometimes considered North Texas. Especially in the summertime.

LOL, David...you are correct. In fact been know to drive up and back on a weekend before (some of my co-workers think I must have hit my head a time or two).

Just food for thought the Amon Carter has the following exhibits up or coming:
An Artistic Legacy: Photographers' Archives at the Carter - thru August 14,05
Becoming Texas Today - thru June 05
The Collodion Era in Photography - thru July 05
Kipton Kumler: A Portfolio of Plants - thru July 05
Avedon at Work: Photographs by Laura Wilson September 05 - January 06
In the American West: Photographs by Richard Avedon September 05 - January 06

Maybe someone can find out what is going on in Dallas at the DMA, plus AfterImage.

Saturday afternoon's or Sunday's will work depending upon work schedules. Still sounds like a lot of fun..there are a few other in Houston/Austin areas that might be interested in a shootout, plus I think there may be some members in OK, LA as well. Pretty big area to consider for a shoot out, but still maybe a weekend outing is possible.

kwmullet
03-27-2005, 11:32 PM
[...]I do know of a place in Carrollton that would work (Norma's on Beltline), but if any one has suggestions in say Lewisville, Grapevine, Coppell, etc., that would be good.
[...]

this'll have to be the short version. The long version was a casualty of me troubleshooting a breaker and inadvertently shutting all my computers off. (*sigh*)

Norma's would be ideal, IMO. Wonderful venue, good food, and good pickin's for shootin'.

-KwM-

lee
03-27-2005, 11:40 PM
I am with Kevin . Normas would be fine

lee\c

kwmullet
03-28-2005, 12:05 AM
[...]So far, "lee", "photomc", and "kwmullet" have expressed an interest. There's got to be 10-12 of us (if not more) in the area. Let me know.
Cheers
David Brown

A quick look in the user directory found 19 that listed specific locations in the metroplex. Lots more listed just "texas" or "tx" and except for photomc, I didn't list any of those. I notice I didn't catch David Brown, but his location is listed as just "Dallas", so there's probably a few others who list specific cities that I didn't catch just looking for "texas" and "tx".

a0667318: Irving, TX.
aldus_manutius: Plano, TX
garryl: Fort Worth, TX
glewis: Fort Worth, TX
Jeremy Moore: Denton, TX
Jimbob: Flower Mound TX
kwmullet:Denton, TX
lee: Fort Worth TX
Peter H. Feresten: Fort Worth, TX
tiger:Denton, TX <=---------------
[HOLY MACKEREL!!!
AND THIS IS HOW I FIND OUT MY WIFEY FINALLY GOT ON APUG?!? (: ]
xeric-sw: Dallas, TX
Adams: Dallas. Texas
garyetx: Arlington, Texas
Lex Jenkins: Fort Worth, Texas
Neal Shields: Ft. Worth,Texas
oculus76: Arlington, Texas
Pa-paw:Lake Dallas, Texas
photomc: Texas
Super Graphic Guy: Corinth, Texas

Jeremy
03-28-2005, 01:35 AM
tiger:Denton, TX <=---------------
[HOLY MACKEREL!!!
AND THIS IS HOW I FIND OUT MY WIFEY FINALLY GOT ON APUG?!? (: ]

Uh oh, Kevin, now she'll know when you brag about that new "insert expensive piece of equipment here" :)

I know that Lex Jenkins has gone digital with a D2H and I was going to go shooting with Super Grapic Guy (in Corinth), but I have never seen hide nor tail of him since he went on a photo shoot in [I believe] Colorado. Now I just have to find out who Pa-Paw is (I work in Lake Dallas).

lee
03-28-2005, 10:31 AM
garryl and glewis I believe are the same person
Peter Feresten has at least one show up now at the downtown branch of the Ft Worth Public Library
I have not seen Lex in months since his grandmother died
brown mullett and moore and castles are the ones I see most often on apug the rest may read and not post I dont know them or know how to get in touch with them

lee\c

kwmullet
04-01-2005, 11:02 AM
[*PING*]

Just prodding this thread to try and make sure it doesn't get forgotten. Shall I do an evite.com or a Yahoo invite with a bunch of E-Mail addresses and see if we can get a concensus about when to get together, or shall we come to a preliminary concensus here in this thread? I'm thinking here in the thread would be easier, but it would bother all the non-North Texans with the minutea of our scheduling this gettogether.

I guess I'm soliciting a meta-concensus. ;)

-KwM-

David Brown
04-01-2005, 02:21 PM
Just prodding this thread to try and make sure it doesn't get forgotten. Shall I do an evite.com or a Yahoo invite with a bunch of E-Mail addresses and see if we can get a concensus about when to get together, or shall we come to a preliminary concensus here in this thread? I'm thinking here in the thread would be easier, but it would bother all the non-North Texans with the minutea of our scheduling this gettogether.

I guess I'm soliciting a meta-concensus. ;)

-KwM-

Kevin:

Haven't forgotten, just haven't made any progress. I'm sending you a PM, we'll work this out! :)

Anybody else have an idea, let us know!!!

David

Jeremy
04-01-2005, 08:45 PM
Just let me know when/where and I'll be there if possible--as I mentioned before, I work until 2pm on Saturdays.

Neal Shields
04-02-2005, 10:28 AM
Sounds like a good idea to me. I am already active in the Fort Worth Camera Club which has a lot of good things and outings but more and more members are going over to the dark side.

Sunday afternoons or Saturday afternoons would be best for me also.

David Brown
04-02-2005, 12:49 PM
Sunday afternoons or Saturday afternoons would be best for me also.

OK. Norma's seems acceptable to most everyone, however, they close at 2:00 on Sunday afternoons. I am proposing then: either a mid to late afternoon Saturday, say 4:00; or a noon Sunday. Next weekend: April 9-10.

Which is better? If at least 3 of you will come, I'll meet you there and make sure we have a table(s)!

Cheers, y'all.

David

PS: Alternate sites considered - I'm just trying to keep this simple. :)

Jeremy
04-02-2005, 03:26 PM
OK. Norma's seems acceptable to most everyone, however, they close at 2:00 on Sunday afternoons. I am proposing then: either a mid to late afternoon Saturday, say 4:00; or a noon Sunday. Next weekend: April 9-10.

Which is better? If at least 3 of you will come, I'll meet you there and make sure we have a table(s)!

Cheers, y'all.

David

PS: Alternate sites considered - I'm just trying to keep this simple. :)

As far as I know (i.e. I haven't asked the girlfriend yet) next weekend is free for me and I can do either one of those.

Neal Shields
04-02-2005, 05:33 PM
Carolton is a long haul for me. I couldn't get there before 2 on Sunday.

David Brown
04-04-2005, 11:09 AM

Alright. I've made an "executive decision". :cool:

Saturday, April 9, at 4:00.

Norma's, 3330 Beltline Rd., Carrollton (near Warehouse Photo, actually).

We'll meet & greet. Hopefully we can plan some shooting outings, visits to Amon Carter, et al, etc.

PM me for RSVP's and/or if you need directions. We'll put this thread to bed. ;)

Cheers

David

kwmullet
04-04-2005, 11:18 AM
Hey cool. Maybe we can all picket Warehouse Photo and get them to reverse their decision to stop carrying darkroom equipment and selling new film gear.

I just shot an "are we buzy" to my better half. Conformation from me is forthcoming.

-KwM-

Alright. I've made an "executive decision". :cool:

Saturday, April 9, at 4:00.

Norma's, 3330 Beltline Rd., Carrollton (near Warehouse Photo, actually).

We'll meet & greet. Hopefully we can plan some shooting outings, visits to Amon Carter, et al, etc.

PM me for RSVP's and/or if you need directions. We'll put this thread to bed. ;)

Cheers

David

lee
04-04-2005, 11:42 AM
David,

if we could push it up a little like 2:30 I could make it for a bit. the wife has something planned for 7 p that evening and it about an hour travel each way

lee\c

Neal Shields
04-04-2005, 02:29 PM
I will plan on being there. I can probably be there (god willing and the creek don't rise) anytime between 2:30 and 4.

It is probably about one hour each way for me and I better be home for dinner shortly after 6:30.

Neal