PDA

View Full Version : Copy Camera Lenses Advice needed

Pages : 1 [2]

jimgalli
04-24-2005, 11:26 AM
But check to make sure they are Dagors, since dialytes are also double anastigmats and Goerz made them too. A quick test is to count reflections on the glasses. Four strong reflections in front of the diaphragm, four behind = dialyte. Two strong, one weak on each side = Dagor.

Cheers,

Dan

His lens doesn't have a diaphragm but a piece of dark cardstock in the slot would work. Dagor = 2 strong 2 weak though. And Mark you need to visit the "other" forum and read through landarc's bit about just how lousy stinking nasty awful that old DA (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/topic/501625.html) is before you price it. Anyone would be doing you a favor to take it off your hands. Not hardly worth the postage to mail it.

gma
04-24-2005, 08:15 PM
I know that a month ago Surplus Shed sold some really clean Wollensak Raptar 209mm f/4.5 coated copy lenses with f/4.5 to 32 diaphragm for I believe $ 5.00 each. I bought one and should have bought a few more at the price. As far as I can determine copy lenses are highly corrected and work well on LF cameras if you have a Packard shutter or use really slow film, neutral density or other filters to get the shutter speeds long enough to use the "hat trick".

David A. Goldfarb
04-24-2005, 08:43 PM
I suspect that Cooke isn't going to be able to tell you too much about the value of old process lenses. I think they even have a notice about that on their website. Your best bet is to put them up on eBay and see what they fetch. It's hard to price out lenses without more information than you've provided in the list. Are there iris diaphragms or waterhouse stops? Do they have shutters, and do the shutters work accurately? What is the condition of the glass? Are there scratches or is there any separation of elements? Are they in some impractical process camera mount? Are the flanges included? Are there lenscaps? Do you have pictures? If you want to auction them off, good descriptions with good pictures showing the condition of the glass will get you the best price.

There is a steady market for lenses with lots of coverage for ultra large formats, but not all process lenses are regarded as desirable, as GMA notes above.

Goerz Dagors (Doppel Anastigmats) longer than 14" like the ones you have--even old uncoated ones without shutters can go for quite a lot.

If you have any coated Artars (look for the red dot), they usually sell for a good price--a few hundred even without a shutter.

If you have new 11x14" filmholders, particularly plastic Fidelity holders, these go on eBay for $300-400 a piece (and sometimes as much as $450 when people are being irrational). Not sure what would happen if you were to flood the market with 30 at once. You may be able to get someone like Timothy Greenfield-Sanders, who shoots 11x14" and is likely to have the cash, to make a deal for the lot. If you sell them in the U.S., call them "filmholders." In the UK, OZ, and NZ, they call them "double darkslides." In the U.S. a "darkslide" is just the slide, not the whole filmholder.

Studio935
04-24-2005, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the info. I have just one of the filmholders but 80 of the darkslides and by that I mean the sliding board with the handle two knotches etc. I called them that because the invoice I found in one of the crates listed them that way. The Raptars I have 45 total and about I'd say 8 are scratched. If you want a couple send me your email and an address I'll send you a jpeg of the lot. My landlord is the one who technically owns all this stuff. He's just letting me pick through it for enough stuff to set up my own darkroom and keep a few of the lenses. I do have plans to build a camera once I get set up.

David A. Goldfarb
04-24-2005, 11:39 PM
That's interesting that they would keep so many darkslides on hand. They don't break that often. There isn't too much demand for darkslides, though replacement slides would be costly. Maybe Sandy King would be interested, since he manufactures ULF filmholders.

Thanks for the offer. I'll look over the list, and see if there's anything I could really use.

syed
05-17-2005, 10:14 PM
i am interested in some copy lenses with focal length around (more or less 300 mm) bigger dia

please le t me know your contacts

dhpmet@yahoo.co.in
jenideys@rediffmail.com

syed
05-17-2005, 10:16 PM
Dear Studio935,

I am interested in some copy lenses with focal length around (more or less 300 mm) bigger dia

please le t me know your contacts

dhpmet@yahoo.co.in
jenideys@rediffmail.com

WKF20500
06-21-2005, 11:21 AM
I haven't seen any recent posts about these items. Are they still available? If you list them on eBay how about giving us a 'heads up' on what to look for. I'd be interested in a couple of the longer focal lengths when you decide what to do.

Wes
shardik@rcn.com

gma
06-21-2005, 12:17 PM
Check the Surplus Shed website frequently. They update weekly. I bought a brand new coated 250mm Goertz copy lens with diaphragm last year. It came with a yellow filter on one end that was easy to remove. At this time they have a 300mm Tessar (without diaphragm) # L3390 and a Plummer precision copy lens 9" f/4.5 L3384.

Murray@uptowngallery
07-23-2007, 03:28 AM
I didn't see any one trying to fatten him up... :O)

I think 'copy' lenses that are known 'process' types or labeled 'APO ' are safely assumed to be well corrected for color.

Some of the stuff Surplus Shed has were literally for old pre-color photocopiers. For example, I bought two Ednalite ones, a 150 mm and 170 mm. One had a patent number, so I looked it up. 1960's photocopier application, triplet construction, two design wavelengths specified. I can't remember the wavelengths, but they were described as corresponding to some spectral lines (like 'D' line in some gaseous discharge source). I think the two wavelengths were very close together, which gave me the impression basically intended for a near monochromatic source.

Of course the above assumptions would not apply to a Ektar Copy lens, etc.

I don't know that they would all be the same animal if called 'Copy' lens.

I passed a Wray Special Copy lens on to someone else here. It turned out to be a 1:20 macro copy lens (M = 0.05). Couldn't find color info, except it was for circuit board and IC lithography reduction (non-UV we think).

epatsellis
07-23-2007, 11:37 PM
And it has an incredibly short back focus, btw....

erie

Murray@uptowngallery
07-24-2007, 01:11 AM
I guess with the 1:20...

I heard it was a room-sized camera for that Wray lens.