PDA

View Full Version : Question About Photgraphing Gov't Buildings In US

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

chuck94022
04-27-2005, 06:34 PM
You're kidding right? In Miami I got accosted by a neanderthal in police uniform just for crossing the road! Another time I was stopped for not wearing a shirt, when it was 90 degrees. Another time for drinking beer from a can.
Don't they have real criminals to hassle?

Well what do you expect, Andy? From a *CAN*? And I thought you came from a proper society...

:D

Bob F.
04-27-2005, 06:37 PM
Chuck, the only times that armoured assault vehicles (never "tanks" - *WAY* too big for the job) similar to the US Bradley fighting vehicle, have been deployed at Heathrow was when mortars were fired by the IRA at the Airport from a perimeter road (they landed in the grass & didn't explode...). If you were unlucky to have been passing through Heathrow at that time, it's hardly surprising that security was heightened...

Only other time was a few months ago when there was an alleged imminent strike planned against landing planes by everyone's current favorite terrorist organization. Not everyone was convinced, given Blair's track record in "interpreting" intelligence reports.

Liked the link: in case anyone was wondering, in the Enemies section, where it says "these b*stards", the picture is of the MI6 headquarters... Shane Richie you will not have heard of: lucky you... ;)

Cheers, Bob.

BradS
04-27-2005, 06:40 PM
You're kidding right? In Miami I got accosted by a neanderthal in police uniform just for crossing the road! Another time I was stopped for not wearing a shirt, when it was 90 degrees.

Lucky you weren't wearing a thong and bikini top.

TPPhotog
04-27-2005, 06:42 PM
..... Liked the link: in case anyone was wondering, in the Enemies section, where it says "these b*stards", the picture is of the MI6 headquarters... Shane Richie you will not have heard of: lucky you... ;)

Cheers, Bob.

I wonder why everyone picks on poor uncle ken? At least he says as he sees and adds some humour to our current day boring politics ;)

chuck94022
04-27-2005, 10:00 PM
Chuck, the only times that armoured assault vehicles (never "tanks" - *WAY* too big for the job) similar to the US Bradley fighting vehicle, have been deployed at Heathrow was when mortars were fired by the IRA at the Airport from a perimeter road (they landed in the grass & didn't explode...). If you were unlucky to have been passing through Heathrow at that time, it's hardly surprising that security was heightened...

Only other time was a few months ago when there was an alleged imminent strike planned against landing planes by everyone's current favorite terrorist organization. Not everyone was convinced, given Blair's track record in "interpreting" intelligence reports.

I'll take your word for it. I was in the Air Force, not the Army, though I once dated a woman whose father worked on the Bradley.

Whatever it was, it was Big, Metal, with a BIG GUN on the top, pointed in our direction. Nice way to enter Heathrow! :)

This was around 1986 or 1987 if memory serves.

Andy K
04-28-2005, 02:07 AM
The Heathrow mortar attack was March 9th 1994.
The light tanks at Heathrow due to a bogus warning from liar Blair was February 11th 2003.

chuck94022
04-28-2005, 02:14 AM
The Heathrow mortar attack was March 9th 1994.

Actually I was there that day, taking tourist photos of Heathrow. Let me go thru my old shots... hey, look, I think I captured it on film... um... wait... isn't that you, Andy, on the left (appropriately...)? (See attached) :)

Andy K
04-28-2005, 02:16 AM
It is plain to see those are US troops. Probably practicing friendly fire. :p

Bob F.
04-28-2005, 03:19 AM
I wonder why everyone picks on poor uncle ken? At least he says as he sees and adds some humour to our current day boring politics ;)

It's alright for you: you're miles away in sunny Devon. I have to put up with the herpetological, drunken, halfwitted excuse for a retarded cretin of a Mayor and his harebrained, stupid and highly expensive dimwitted schemes for London :rolleyes:

I wonder if MI5 will take me on now: always wanted my own fountain pen that shoots poison darts...

Cheers, Bob.

TPPhotog
04-28-2005, 03:26 AM
It's alright for you: you're miles away in sunny Devon. I have to put up with the herpetological, drunken, halfwitted excuse for a retarded cretin of a Mayor and his harebrained, stupid and highly expensive dimwitted schemes for London :rolleyes:

I wonder if MI5 will take me on now: always wanted my own fountain pen that shoots poison darts...

Cheers, Bob.

LOL Now you know one of the reasons I don't stray far from Sunny (errrm it's pouring with rain ready for all that bootiful clotted cream at the moment) Devon :p

How about we bring back Tony Benn? ;)

Andy K
04-28-2005, 03:32 AM
People may not agree with his views, but having seen a couple of documentaries on Tony Benn I'd have to say he was probably the last real politician Britain had. Now we just have people driven by the cult of personality who don't understand they are elected to represent us, not to rule us.
As for Ken Livingstone? He's a poisonous little twerp who was probably bullied at school and is now compensating for it.

Daniel Lawton
04-28-2005, 03:33 AM
Don't you just love how the internet has allowed the international community to exchange pleasantries in a jovial manner. The cold war is over and now we argue over who's law enforcement agency is the biggest a-hole. Probably a perfect example of why all treaties and international unions have and always will fail at some point! :")

TPPhotog
04-28-2005, 03:46 AM
Tony Benn did have the convictions of his beliefs to denounce his title etc. Sadly I think that we are now missing politicians in the UK that live their beliefs and have character. I remember as a kid I could recognise politicians when they came on the TV, know what party they represented and usually knew who they were.

These days they all look like the same grey suited stereo-type accountants (sorry any accountants out their) and have no appeal in any way what so ever. No surprise that most people today have no interest in either politics or even voting.

Andy K
04-28-2005, 03:51 AM
Always vote Tony, even if you only spoil your slip always vote. If I feel none of the candidates represent me or deserve my vote then I spoil the paper with the words, 'None Of These Deserve My Vote'. My vote is then counted as 'spoiled' and the politicos cannot claim I was apathetic or stayed at home content with the way things are.

TPPhotog
04-28-2005, 03:54 AM
Fear not Andy I always vote, it's just getting harder to decide who for as there doesn't seen much difference these days :confused: I might even land up voting this year for the scottish party or as they like to call themselves the lib-dems ouch ;)

bjorke
04-28-2005, 10:35 PM
One of my old professors liked to tell the story of a visit to (then) communist Poland...When I was at the California Institute of the Arts (CalArts), a student made a documentary film about his home in communist Poland. He brought movie cameras, sound equipment, and shot for three weeks. Then he tried to leave with lots of information-collecting gear all stamped with the initials of CalArts: C I A

He was detained for another two weeks while they processed all his film and listened to every tape....

(but they let him and the film go eventually)

chuck94022
04-28-2005, 11:12 PM
When I was at the California Institute of the Arts (CalArts), a student made a documentary film about his home in communist Poland. He brought movie cameras, sound equipment, and shot for three weeks. Then he tried to leave with lots of information-collecting gear all stamped with the initials of CalArts: C I A

He was detained for another two weeks while they processed all his film and listened to every tape....

(but they let him and the film go eventually)

Did they bill him for the processing? :)

WarEaglemtn
04-30-2005, 10:33 PM
"This year I will not be visiting. I refuse to be fingerprinted like some kind of criminal at customs."

Just fly to Mexico, rent a car & drive in through San Diego, CA. That is how the Columbians do it when they get denied entrance at the normal Visa checkpoints in the airports.

Uncle Bill
05-18-2005, 11:18 PM
Being from north of the border (read Canada) I am on the outside looking in to the American dynamic. Now being confronted for taking a photo of a Government building of both historical and architectural signifigance, makes me sad that some people have given into fear of terror that much. To my knowledge there is no law in the US on a Federal level and I know for certain in Canada that its against the law to shoot a goverment building. Unless it has become a copyright issue.

Bill

John Bartley
05-19-2005, 05:34 AM
Being from north of the border (read Canada)....snipped.... I know for certain in Canada that its against the law to shoot (photograph) a goverment building. Unless it has become a copyright issue.

Bill

Bill,

Is this what you meant to type? Is there (proveably) a law against photographing government buildings in Canada?

cheers