PDA

View Full Version : NY/NJ trip

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

aj-images
06-05-2005, 09:06 PM
I was thinking we could hit Asbury in the morning. I know people are coming from New York, so probably later in the AM would be best. All of the locations I attached above are within a few blocks of each other, making it fairly easy to get around. I thought we could hit Sandy Hook after, which is about 20-25 minutes north. I have talked to the superintendent of the park about shooting at the fort. The area with the good bunkers requires a permit and a ranger to accompany. She told me it is $45/hour. The paperwork she sent me said groups of 11-20 would be $400/day. I have to call her tomorrow (Monday) to go over these numbers. There are other areas that are free to get into, but not as photographic. After that, whoever would like to develop/print is welcome in the darkroom. I can work until midnight, so that is not an issue. Due to time restraints, it might be a good idea to bring negatives, then anyone who wants to try Platinum or Azo will be able to without having to wait to develop negs. If people want to get a hotel room and print in the morning (remember Sunday is Father's Day), that is an option as well. I'm very flexible on my end. I will call the park tomorrow, then post an update tomorrow night. If people could post a good time to start, that could give us an idea of what will work for everyone. - Jim

Bruce Osgood
06-05-2005, 09:58 PM
I'm still planning on the 18th but P/P and Azo are not on my dance card. I expect the Jersey Shore will be crawling with people on a nice Saturday afternoon. Is the merry-go-round still in A.P.? I would opt for the lighthouse and surroundings unless they are dull.

aj-images
06-05-2005, 10:54 PM
The best thing about Asbury- No crowds. Not for a while until the 3,000 condos are built. Yes, the merry-go-round is still around, but the building is closed. It is in the pictures attached. Third group down, first picture.

aj-images
06-06-2005, 04:40 PM
I spoke with the superintendent and head ranger at the park today. It won't be $400/day, but rather $45/hour to pay a ranger overtime to supervise. I have to speak to one more person tomorrow, who knows the locations better. He can tell me which locations are best. I will then go out on the weekend and take pictures and post them. Sorry I haven't scouted the location yet, time isn't on my side. - Jim

Bruce Osgood
06-06-2005, 10:07 PM
11AM (or even earlier) is good for me and I plan to drive so anybody looking for a ride let me know. I won't be able to make it a late night but 6 or 7 seems doable.

highpeak
06-07-2005, 12:25 AM
The time is fine with me also.

Bruce, can you give me a ride? Because your time table is about the same as mine. If it's ok, PM me where and when should I meet you that day. Thanks

Alex

David A. Goldfarb
06-07-2005, 08:13 AM
I could use a ride, and both Bruce and Tom are offering. For which of you would it be less of an inconvenience? I'm up by 125th and Riverside, but I could also meet somewhere downtown (ideally not too far from a 1 train stop), if that's easier. I also need to get back to Manhattan (Soho) kind of early, so if I could head back with you, Bruce, that would be great. Thanks!

Bruce Osgood
06-07-2005, 09:04 AM
......................... I also need to get back to Manhattan (Soho) kind of early, so if I could head back with you, Bruce, that would be great. Thanks!

This could work. I'm driving down with highpeak and could easily enough bring you back with us thru Manhattan.

Tom Duffy
06-07-2005, 10:19 AM
I'll pick you up, David, between 9 and 9:30. It will save Bruce the trip up to Manhattan. I'll let Bruce take you home, although I could do that too. BTW, what do you mean by "kind of early"?

Jim, is there a street name or address for the Asbury Park train station, that way I do a mapquest on it.

David A. Goldfarb
06-07-2005, 12:26 PM
Thanks, Bruce and Tom! That should work. I have to meet my in-laws in Soho for dinner, so as long as I'm back by some reasonable dinner hour (say 6-8), that should be fine. We haven't made specific plans yet. If I'm back earlier, I can drop my equipment at home, but if not, I can bring it with me.

aj-images
06-07-2005, 04:58 PM
The idea has been suggested that we keep the shoot in Asbury, which is probably a good idea based on time constraints, traffic, etc. I will scout the bunkers on my free time and post pictures for a future trip. If anyone is running late, I can always shuttle them or guide them to the location. The train station is at Memorial ave and Bangs Ave. If you should have problems locating it, let me know. If anyone wants to come earlier, I'll be around. - Jim

gr82bart
06-10-2005, 04:10 PM
I'm coming in on Friday and staying overnight nearby - since I am coming in from CT. I'll meet everyone where ever we're suppose to - I believe the train station at 11am? Where's the train station?

I've invited two friends. One's a 4x5 shooter who will also bring his Hassey, the other's a 35mm shooter, but has wanted to shoot in the area for a while. A third might join too. She shoots digital, but she's cute, so we'll forgive her! :D

Can't wait to try a 4x5. Thanks David. I'll bring some type 55, type 59, my Polaroid 545i back, my transfer kit and a sturdy tripod. I'll also bring my Hassey.

Thanks for organizing this Jim. I concur with who ever mentioned that maybe we should just stick to shooting around Asbury Park. Seems like there is a lot to photograph in the area alone. Since I am staying overnight Friday, I'll be up early in the morning taking some early morning pics. If anyone wants to join me at say 6am or so, please post and PM your cell number, we'll do breakfast/java afterwards but before meeting with the rest of the gang.

Regards, Art.

aj-images
06-10-2005, 04:50 PM
Looks like we have 7 + Art's 2 friends. Still waiting on confirmation from Versed and Bob F. If anyone wants to start earlier, the train station is only 1/2mile to 3/4 mile from the shooting area, so I can meet people and guide them over throughout the morning. Train station is at Memorial Drive and Bangs Ave. I will PM my cell to all during the week. I'm glad this worked out. I think it will be lots of fun and hopefully lead to more shoots. I know some galleries in town, so maybe we can get a show together. - Jim

bobfowler
06-10-2005, 05:23 PM
The train station at 11 is fine with me! My wife Liz will be coming along - she wants to take pictures of us taking pictures! (she's also great for carrying my tripod, she doesn't complain!)

aj-images
06-13-2005, 11:14 PM
Hey Guys- Wether report for Saturday. 74 degrees and partly cloudy. Looks like a great day all around. I will probably join Art and his friends early...if anyone else wants to join, let us know. I sent my cell # off to everyone. If anyone needs directions, I can help you out. If anyone has trouble getting into town, please don't hesitate to call.That's about it. Have a safe trip! - Jim

David A. Goldfarb
06-14-2005, 08:15 AM
Tom--I can be ready as early as you want to meet, if you want to catch some morning light.

Tom Duffy
06-14-2005, 11:12 AM
Tom--I can be ready as early as you want to meet, if you want to catch some morning light.
How early is early? I can pick you up at 7AM or after. Like you, I need to leave Asbury Park a bit on the early side. I have a last minute graduation party to attend at 6:30PM.

David A. Goldfarb
06-14-2005, 11:16 AM
Whenever you're ready, Tom. 7 or 8 am is fine, but don't feel obligated to wake up that early, if you would rather sleep in a bit.

bobfowler
06-18-2005, 07:35 PM
Kudos to Jim for putting this together! We even managed to make 2 new large format converts today!!!

I'll post images that my wife shot of the group as soon as they are souped & scanned (tomorrow, most likely).

aj-images
06-18-2005, 08:03 PM
Thanks Bob and thanks to all for visiting AP. It was even better than I expected. I will put up some shots as well. I just hope Art and Alex can sleep tonight. Try counting film holders instead of sheep guys! Thanks again- Jim