PDA

View Full Version : Found Film Photos

Pages : 1 [2]

Donald Qualls
08-08-2005, 11:33 PM
He developed the old roll of Kodacolor 620 in HC110 dil b?..

This works pretty well, though my own preference is for higher dilution and longer process -- the result you get is rather dense for wet printing, but scans okay. Not great quality, but how good would even 30 year old Kodacolor II be in the correct C-41 after this much time? And forget getting anything useful from most C-22 films like the original Kodacolor...

david b
08-09-2005, 12:05 AM
I went to MoPA today in San Diego and they have a show up right now about found photos. Kind of cool.

Heath
08-09-2005, 03:45 AM
I have 3 roll of film that were in some old cameras I purchased on eBay. I am curious as to what is on them. I need to remember to get them developed.

I also have a roll of 35m that I got in a box of olf Kodak lenses. That roll has been developed and has shots of a family picnic or vacation.

Heath

Ben Taylor
08-09-2005, 10:39 AM
Time Tales (http://www.timetales.com/) has a lovely collection of found photographs.

Andrew Sowerby
08-09-2005, 10:50 AM
I remember looking through a very large bin of old photos at Snoopers' Paradise in Brighton, UK. Most were family portraits and snapshots from the 40s, 50s and 60s. They were cheap too. Unfortunately I suffered from paralysis of analysis and didn't buy any. I still regret it . . .

Ben Taylor
08-09-2005, 10:56 AM
I remember looking through a very large bin of old photos at Snoopers' Paradise in Brighton, UK . . .

Snoopers' Paradise was one of my favorite ways to waste my time when I lived in Brighton, it's a wonderful place. They still had many, many old photos when I was last there.

colrehogan
08-09-2005, 11:11 AM
I have some pre-WWII glass slides (I think they are pre-WWII) that I picked up at a flea market outside of Chicago a few years ago.

djklmnop
08-09-2005, 07:09 PM
Visited the Museum of Photographic Arts as well, today, in San Diego. Had a nice collection of found photographs. Makes me want to shoot family and friends (photographically speaking) just for keep-sake. As Ansel says, "Aids to memory".

sionnac
12-05-2005, 04:48 AM
My father recently passed away and we found his old Fujica 35 ML with a roll of Kodak Plus-X pan in it, exposed. I'd like to try and develop it myself but am new to darkroom work, having taken two basic classes - just built my own darkroom in the basement. I've been using Sprint developer; is there a better recommended combo for this film? Not sure how old it is - I'm guessing the 70's - there is a DIN number on the outside. The Massive Development Chart does have recommendations - but since the film is old should I use the times listed?
http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.html

Thanks for any assistance. I also posted on photo.net's Classic forum.

David A. Goldfarb
12-05-2005, 07:38 AM
You probably can't go too far wrong. I'd just develop it straight using what is familiar to you, see what you get, and fix any contrast problems at the printing stage.

You could do a clip test, but given that this is just one roll of film, it might not tell you much--that you need a restrainer? a little more development time? how much? requires another clip test, and every clip test usually involves losing a frame.

Kevin Roach
12-05-2005, 03:32 PM
Here's a short story I wrote about finding film in an old camera.

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21698

Also. are there any stereo photographers here? I noticed that some of these guys will buy just about any old stereo slides. Someone will ebay a box of grandpa's old slides of his vacation and they'll sell for pretty good money. I picture some guy down in his basement with boxes and boxes of slides he collected from ebay. :)

David A. Goldfarb
12-05-2005, 04:49 PM
I was carrying my Busch Pressman C the other day, and a guy in my building said he had a Stereo Realist that belonged to his father, who took 5000 stereo slides of art works for the Art History Department at the U. of Iowa.