PDA

View Full Version : Mat board in Toronto?

Nick Zentena
05-11-2005, 05:57 AM
What are the choices?

Loomis? Kind of expensive

Curry's the store I went to no selection

So who else? Or should I just deal with Loomis's prices?

rogueish
05-11-2005, 06:30 AM
Loomis was cheaper than the 5 art stores I went to in TO and Brampton. You know the kind, tons of oil&arcylic paintings that all look the same. They wanted $13 an 8x10 board (extra if I wanted a window cut) with a price break at 500 boards (only at one store). I didn't bother asking about larger sizes.
You could try Micheals but I think you'll find the price compareable, if not slightly higher to Loomis.
There was an art store on Queen St. east (north side of street) near Kew Beach. Don't know if they are still there, but their prices seemed reasonable last time I was in there. Sorry don't remember the name. On the south side of Queen in the same area is an art dealer/gallery called something Collector (Incureable perhaps). They do framing, might be worth while to inquire there as well. Worst comes to worst, you'll get to look at some nice art.

Nick Zentena
05-11-2005, 06:53 AM
Curry's has 32x40 Peterboro archival board for $10 but the store I went to didn't have much choice. Worse many sheets had damage. The price is okay but the lack of choice.

Bob Carnie
05-11-2005, 08:10 AM
Nick -
For the best current selection I would try Woolfits, queen st west
In the near future our shop will be designated by frameguild supplys as a source for matt board.
The problem with our shop is we only use archival white and soft white and will supply only this product.

Joe Symchyshyn
05-11-2005, 11:37 AM
Woolfitts...

And if you do a lot of work and use the same colour, you can get a great break on 25+ sheets. (made by Rising... eg: white, antique...)

If you're looking for every colour of the rainbow... As Bob suggested, a frame shop.

joe

Nick Zentena
05-11-2005, 11:37 AM
Bob are the prices on Woolfits catalog the real selling prices or just list prices? They show the Logan mat cutter I bought yesterday for about 2.5X what I paid.

rogein
05-11-2005, 01:40 PM
Nick,

Woolfits stock some papers that neither Currys or Loomis carry - like Rising & Arches Platine - also try Above Ground Art Supplies on McCaul just south of OCAD.

Nick Zentena
05-11-2005, 03:30 PM
Okay I'll give Woolfits a try. I don't need massive choice but I'd like to buy more then two sheets of the same colour. With me picking the colour and not having to deal with what is in stock -)

derekh
11-29-2005, 08:05 PM
This thread's a bit old now, but I would recommend going to Above Ground on McCaul St next to OCAD, they are one of the cheapest around and have a good selection.

Nick Zentena
08-08-2007, 12:09 PM
Has anything changed? I'm putting together a list of errands to run down in the city. Going to either McCaul street or Woolfits won't add much time to the trip.

Marco Buonocore
08-19-2007, 07:40 AM
Woolfits and Above Ground are the best of the bunch. I was at Woolfits yesterday, and they didn't have any deals on matte board - they're clearing out canvas. Still, last autumn I stocked up on beautiful 6 ply museum board, in big 40x48 sheets, for next to nothing. It pays to peak your head in every few weeks.

There's no sense in paying Loomis or Currys prices, unless you're really in a bind. They're extortionate.

Nick Zentena
08-19-2007, 07:54 AM
I ended up at Above Ground. It's easy to park right between it and my more important errand so that's a bonus.

Funny part is with traffic I ended up driving right by Woolfits. If I hadn't been in a rush at that point I would have stopped in on them to.

Daniel-OB
09-02-2007, 08:46 PM
Nick
to get it in the story as full time running around which can be expensive. Frameras has access to the large manufacturers of mat boards for fraction of price and will be happy to sell it to you at Currys price. They usually have "all" of them, and you will find it always at the same place.
Here in mississauga many comes to my gallery for framing too and some buys and mat boards from me too. Try.

www.Leica-R.com

Richard K.
09-07-2007, 02:37 PM
Nick,

Woolfits stock some papers that neither Currys or Loomis carry - like Rising & Arches Platine - also try Above Ground Art Supplies on McCaul just south of OCAD.

Roger, do you have a good substitute for Rising museum board now that Rising is out of business? Incidentally, 33% off everything on Sunday...

-Richard:confused:

Mike Wilde
09-10-2007, 08:55 AM
Less than five bucks for acid free 4ply! I saw it in the Curry's friday flyer, and scamperd over Saturday to the Cawthra Quensway location and stocked up on the last 7 boards they had.