PDA

View Full Version : I lost track of the threads -- what's happening with the Photo Challenge?

Donald Qualls
05-13-2005, 08:46 AM
I gather this month's challenge is Night Photography -- do we have a subject for June yet? And is there some way to make these threads easier to keep track of?

TPPhotog
05-13-2005, 08:49 AM
Night Photography followed by Macro :D

FrankB
05-13-2005, 09:09 AM
Hi Donald,

Yes, I'm not surprised you've lost track. Quite a lot has been happening!

The theme for April was "Night Photography" (but if you have some shots them please do still feel free to post them!). The theme for both May and June is "Macro".

After that we are looking to move to a quarterly schedule and there will be a summary page of some form or another to detail the current theme, closing date and other useful Challenge-related information. Hopefully this will make things simpler!

Best regards,

Frank

Donald Qualls
05-17-2005, 08:40 PM
Cool. Posted a night image today. I'm in process of clearing the yellowing in my Super Takumar 1.4/50, I'll have to dust off the macro rings. Either that, or get a bellows factor calculator and see what I can do with double extension bellows on a 1927 plate camera.

Rick Haug
05-19-2005, 11:12 PM
Please provide some guidance for a potential first-time acceptee of the Challenge. Entries for Macro must be posted by the end of June? One entry per person? And for this challenge, macro is defined how...1:1 or smaller for the film format that is used, or a looser definition?

Thanks,
Rick

FrankB
05-20-2005, 03:11 AM
Hi Rick,

Welcome to the Challenge!

Here's the usual information I post for the Challenge (soon to be enclosed within a web page, for easier access!):

The APUG Photo Challenge is a monthly bash where members go and make a photograph fitting a given theme and upload the result to the APUG Challenge Gallery. The original idea came from APUG member (and B&WP UK editor) Ailsa who said (in part):

"I was pondering the other day that I often produce my best work when given a brief or a project, whereas when an idea is self-imposed, I tend to just float around it and not really knuckle down. So I got to thinking, how about setting up an APUG photographic challenge thread?"

"The themes can be as open or as specific as you like, within reason - obviously there wouldn't be much point in telling me to photograph a tree in Yosemite, unless the person setting the challenge was willing to pay my air fare and accommodation..."

"...it could be a great opportunity to break out of our usual styles and try something completely different."

In answer to your specific questions - End of June is the closing date (but we tend to be pretty lenient about it!), please feel free to post multiple entries and "macro" has not been clearly defined for this challenge (which, in my humble opinion, is a good thing - I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's interpretation of the theme...!).

All the best,

Frank