PDA

View Full Version : Photo Labs in NYC

Pages : [1] 2

gr82bart
06-12-2005, 09:28 PM
OK where are the good pro labs in NYC? I've been going to Duggal, but they can't be the only ones. Tell me about labs that do E-6 the same day, B&W plus proof in 1 day, at minimum.

Thanks, Art.

David A. Goldfarb
06-12-2005, 09:35 PM
Modernage. I use the main location in midtown (6th Av. around 45th St.). Normal 4-hour turnaround on E-6. They handle sheet film up to 11x14" for E-6. Friendlier service than Duggal.

aj-images
06-12-2005, 09:54 PM
Art- I do B&W proofs. True B&W paper, true B&W chemistry. We can talk more on saturday if you are interested. - Jim

gr82bart
06-12-2005, 10:34 PM
Modernage....that are also open on weekends.

Art- I do B&W proofs. True B&W paper, true B&W chemistry. We can talk more on saturday if you are interested. - Jim...and are easy to get to via MTA Metro North. (Jim:We'll definitely talk Saturday. If you meet all my requirements and you do Cibachromes too, you'd be a demigod in my eyes.)

Just a few minor demands. :p

Art.

David A. Goldfarb
06-12-2005, 10:39 PM
Not sure if Modernage is open weekends. I suspect not, but it's not impossible. www.modernage.com for contact info.

highpeak
06-13-2005, 12:48 AM
Have you guys ever used "Spectra" ?
Are they good at B&W job?
As far as I know, they don't do toning, and all the prints I got is RC based.

David A. Goldfarb
06-13-2005, 07:35 AM
Spectra is very uneven. I've known people who have gotten great results through certain branches of Spectra for a while, and then the management shuffles and quality changes. I tried them for a while and wasn't satisfied with the results, but they always seem to be changing, so someone else might have a different experience.

gr82bart
06-13-2005, 08:46 AM
Anyone have experience with C-Lab? They are on Broadway near Prince.

Art.

geraldatwork
06-13-2005, 09:43 AM
I've never used Modernage myself but know two people who have and were happey with their service and quality. One of these people uses the lab quite frequently.

David A. Goldfarb
06-13-2005, 12:36 PM
I haven't used C-Lab myself, but they've been around for a long time. That's no guarantee of anything, really. There are some labs that have stayed in business despite doing inconsistent work.

Kenneth Taranto is also a great lab.

For B&W, MVlabs is considered one of the best.

fLOVE
07-20-2009, 03:45 PM
Anyone care to weigh in for more recent names? I go to Duggal but the service feels very impersonal. They do a good and consistent job, but even though I give my film to like the same 2-3 guys every time I'm in there, they look at me as if I'm new. I listen to "Inside Analog Radio" and with everything I hear about Richard Photo Lab on nearly every ep of it, it makes me long for that experience. Living in NYC though I feel I shouldn't have to ship my film to LA for that. Anyone?

Terence
07-20-2009, 04:52 PM
I like Modernage. Met the owner a few months ago, and he seemed determined to stick with film developing, including E-6, as long as possible. Very nice people. They treat me well despite the fact that I'm in there only every couple of months.

fLOVE
07-22-2009, 05:12 AM
What about LTI and L&I? Anyone have any thoughts there?

David A. Goldfarb
07-22-2009, 06:22 AM
LTI seems to be run by good people, but I haven't used their services myself.

BenZucker
08-13-2009, 10:27 AM
I have been using Color edge, or what ever the name is now (the name might be Color Recourse Center or Vista Imaging now), i feel like they change it all the time. Its on 22nd street in between 5th and 6th avenue. I have been very pleased with there service, and the people at the front desk are funny nice dudes for the most part. I only really have them do my c-41, and the occasional black and white, but usually I do the black and white my self.

archboy
05-29-2010, 08:07 PM
LTI does a pretty good job developing my Velvia slides

sepiareverb
05-30-2010, 11:54 AM
LTI does very good work- I've used them for years, ever since their sister lab Fleshtone Miami closed down.

jordanstarr
12-26-2010, 12:39 PM
I'll throw a vote in for MV Labs. Jim does all custom work -whatever developer, dilution, etc. you want, he will do and he does it all himself by hand. He is a perfectionist in his work and has done custom film and printing for some big names out there including Rolling Stone (for their film issue years ago), Magnum, Jim Goldberg and a bunch of others you can view on the site (www.mvlabs.com). When you call, you can talk directly to him and arrange when you need everything done by and he will try to accomodate.

MinoltaUser10
01-30-2011, 08:40 PM
Most of the posts here are a bit old so I don't know which are still good. I need a place to develop/print the new Portra 400 and Fujicolor Pro 400H. I don't need custom work - just someplace that understands what these films are and how to develop & print them properly (I doubt that CVS, Duane Reade et al would know what to do with them except to throw them in with regular C-41 film processing).

I would appreciate any recommendations.

Thank you

Sanjay Sen
01-31-2011, 12:26 AM
What format do you shoot? I have had C-41 processing done by both Duggal (http://www.duggal.com) and LTI (http://www.ltiny.com) in 35mm and MF. I haven't got anything printed though, but I believe both of these places will do optical prints from color negs. Check out their websites. Of course there are other labs, but these two are the ones I have experience with.