PDA

View Full Version : The Band Room

Pages : [1] 2 3

Dave Wooten
08-09-2005, 05:05 PM
Any former or present school band members in Apug land?

I played trumpet and still practice my horn.....do you know where your horn is?

Ole
08-09-2005, 05:43 PM
Played piccolo and tuba (!) - but not simultaneously.

Since I always had to help carry the tuba after putting my own instrument in my pocket, I decided I might as well play the blasted thing!

Paul Sorensen
08-09-2005, 05:47 PM
Trumpet. Quit playing when I went to college and have not missed it! Seems that photography is more my thing than band was.

David A. Goldfarb
08-09-2005, 06:12 PM
Still playing the trombone, as you know.

John McCallum
08-09-2005, 06:30 PM
... and typing at the same time :o .

Piano, clarinet. We actually toured NZ :cool: !

BradS
08-09-2005, 06:40 PM
Love live music but never learned to play. hmmm...kinda like my photography...:)

chuck94022
08-09-2005, 06:44 PM
Snare drum and tri-tom in the marching band, timpani in the concert band. The drums have long since been given to a nephew, and I've moved on to guitar.

MurrayMinchin
08-09-2005, 07:46 PM
Started on tenor sax (it's downstairs) then moved up in size to baritone sax (the school owned it) in high school...hey yo, wait a minute...I even went for large format in saxophones :) !

Murray

Kerik
08-09-2005, 08:09 PM
So, Dave, what's the plan? An APUG band? We're going to need a name...

I'm still playing the drums. And loudly whenever possible. I live on 5 acres, so the neighbors haven't complained. Yet....

And I play a few chords on the guitar... three's enough to rock, right??

Kerik

Kerik
08-09-2005, 08:11 PM
.hey yo, wait a minute...I even went for large format in saxophones :) !When you're ready for a ULF saxaphone:

http://www.nuclearwhales.com/

Kerik

David Brown
08-09-2005, 08:33 PM
Any former or present school band members in Apug land?

I not only "majored" in band in high school (I may not have gone everyday if it weren't for the band ... :p ) I majored in music ed in college, and then started directing high school bands!!! After doing that a few years, I realized I really needed to get out of band! :o

Since then I've played in and/or directed community orchestra and band, and played the occasional job. Not recently, though.

Still own the drums (yes, drums) a marimba, the piano, and an organ. I also did guitar (didn't we all), but sold them all many years ago. :(

Only "retired" from church choirs a couple of years ago.

Cheers (in B flat)

David

Paul Sorensen
08-09-2005, 08:48 PM
So, Dave, what's the plan? An APUG band? We're going to need a name...

I just realized that this is in the member organized functions forum, not the lounge. I hope you realize that I was not volunteering to be in the band! :o

BWGirl
08-09-2005, 08:50 PM
Well... I was a drummer, too. Played everything from tympani, snare, bass, & cymbals in concert band to snare, cymbals and tom-toms in marching band. And, since it was the 60s... I was a drummer in a rock & roll band...(sing along, now!) ;)... I also taught myself a wee bit of guitar & sang vocals in the band, too. :D

I have a pair of drum sticks around here somewhere! ;) APUG band.... hm.... cool!

gr82bart
08-09-2005, 08:52 PM
Alto saxophone and bass clarinet.

Art.

bobfowler
08-09-2005, 09:02 PM
Started as a perfromance major on clarinet in college (Berklee) and changed to arranging/composition. Main instrument for my 10 years on active duty in Army bands was clarinet (I was an 02J30). I still play alto, tenor, and bari sax, plus soprano, alto and bass clarinet. My "weapon of choice" these days is Eb alto clarinet (aka The Nerd Horn) in a concert band setting or with a jazz combo.

My wife was a music ed major (bassoon and vocal minor), until she realized she really doesn't like kids that much. She left college (Fredonia) and went to a musical instrument repair school where she majored in woodwind repair. She's been repairing horns for the past 28+ years and is the supervisor of the woodwind repair shop at Natioonal Education Music Company in Mountainside, NJ.

I like to kid her that I married her because it was cheaper than paying for saxophone overhauls. That was all well and good until she taught me clarinet and saxophone repair 12 years ago. I've been fixing my own ever since...

Oh yes... almost forgot...

Between Liz and I, we have over 80 woodwinds in our collection! Only about a dozen or so are used on a regular basis though.

David A. Goldfarb
08-09-2005, 09:12 PM
I like to kid her that I married her because it was cheaper than paying for saxophone overhauls. That was all well and good until she taught me clarinet and saxophone repair 12 years ago. I've been fixing my own ever since...

Oh yes... almost forgot...

Between Liz and I, we have over 80 woodwinds in our collection! Only about a dozen or so are used on a regular basis though.

My wife is a music therapist and a fine classical pianist, so she knows that for a trombonist, once you find an accompanist who can play the Hindemith Sonata and the Gordon Jacob concerto, marriage really is the only option.

Between us--three trombones (two tenors and a bass), 1 dijeridu, 4 guitars, 1 ukulele, upright piano, three electronic keyboards, and a vintage Hammond A-101 with a Leslie, not to mention various small instruments and percussion that she uses in her practice, which is mainly with hearing-impaired children.

bobfowler
08-09-2005, 09:25 PM
<snip>... not to mention various small instruments and percussion that she uses in her practice, which is mainly with hearing-impaired children.

Speaking of hearing impairments...

All those years of playing clarinet in Army concert bands, plus bari sax in stage bands, has left me with a pretty substantial hearing loss and a nasty case of tinnitus. My right ear is much worse than my left. The damned ringing of the tinnitus used to really drive me crazy, but I'm getting used to it now...

Lee L
08-09-2005, 09:33 PM
When you're ready for a ULF saxaphone:

http://www.nuclearwhales.com/

Kerik
Ever heard a contrabass sax live? I've had the fun and pleasure a couple of times of hearing one in a conservatory saxophone studio recital, with a saxphone "orchestra". What an instrument! Unless you have a phenomenal stereo and a superb recording, you'll get only a weak hint from a recording.

Lee

David A. Goldfarb
08-09-2005, 09:33 PM
The damned ringing of the tinnitus used to really drive me crazy, but I'm getting used to it now...

That's certainly as a hazard. When I played regularly in large ensembles, I often seemed to be sitting with a cymbal a half-inch away from my right ear (back row of the orchestra or 2nd bone in a big band seated 2-1-3-4). If that happens now, I'll usually wear an earplug in one ear, and fortunately, my hearing seems to be okay.

photomc
08-09-2005, 09:45 PM
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!! Trumpet and Tuba while in HS...have touched anything since then.....about the same time I picked up photography.