PDA

View Full Version : Chinese 6x17 Rollfilm Backs

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

WayneStevenson
01-11-2013, 11:41 AM
I am wanting to purchase the Da Yi 6x17 film back for 4x5 cameras. But I keep hearing mixed messages regarding usable focal lengths. Some from this very thread I think.

What I read is that the camera has mechanical vignetting at 180mm and beyond by a quarter inch at least. And you can go as wide as 75mm?

In contrast I have read from one vendor that apparantly the corners are slightly vignetted at 180mm.

And I have seen photographs from one using the back with a 180mm lens that showed no vignetting at all.

Problem being is that most user "reviews" are about 6 years old. Has the design changed which would explain the different results?

Has anyone here purchased a brand new one and used one in the last couple years? Can you share your experiences please?

Does anyone have a website for Da Yi? I can't find one to get my answers straight from them.

WayneStevenson
01-24-2013, 10:47 PM
Tough crowd here.

Well, I decided that since I don't have a suitable enlarger capable of taking 6x17 frames, a 6x12 roll film holder was a better bet for me. I have a cheap $189 eBay model on the way. I have a machinist modifying a negative carrier for me to take 6x12. I'll move forward from that experience and see if I'll head down the 6x17 path later.

WayneStevenson
03-09-2013, 12:56 PM
Well, I purchased the cheap Guohuo GH 6 x 12 film back. It was made of plastic and while it didn't appear very durable, it did appear well-made with prescision.

Despite that, the knob didn't appear to be glued or attached as it was incapable of rolling. I had to epoxy it myself. Which was a relatively painless endeavor.

After that, my first roll was completely fogged on the frames. I figured it may have been from where the darkslide comes out of the holder. There is no light trap material there.

The next two rolls I tested proved that. But the tests also proved that it did leak quite a bit there. But also leaked while the darkslide was coimpletely closed without exposing the frame......

Also that light leaked at other places where there shouldn't be any leaks.

The seller claims it was a bad batch from the manufacturer. I am going to go with the Dayi and see how it works out for me.....

WayneStevenson
03-25-2013, 07:27 PM
My DaYi from ecbuyonline2008 (http://myworld.ebay.ca/ecbuyonline2008) arrived. Wow. This film back seems to have all metal construction, spring loaded latches hold the two parts together securely. And everything is light tight it would appears. The entire advance assembly even goes into a sloted, and recessed holder that is all foam and felt lined. The Guohuo film holder is a joke compared to this one and when you compare the two, you really cannot understand why the Guohuo is even being sold.

I'll have to test it out this week. :D

mark
03-25-2013, 08:08 PM
Well, I purchased the cheap Guohuo GH 6 x 12 film back. It was made of plastic and while it didn't appear very durable, it did appear well-made with prescision.

Despite that, the knob didn't appear to be glued or attached as it was incapable of rolling. I had to epoxy it myself. Which was a relatively painless endeavor.

After that, my first roll was completely fogged on the frames. I figured it may have been from where the darkslide comes out of the holder. There is no light trap material there.

The next two rolls I tested proved that. But the tests also proved that it did leak quite a bit there. But also leaked while the darkslide was coimpletely closed without exposing the frame......

Also that light leaked at other places where there shouldn't be any leaks.

The seller claims it was a bad batch from the manufacturer. I am going to go with the Dayi and see how it works out for me.....

So you are saying it is a 6x12 holga? Dude, we could sell these to hipsters. They would love them.

WayneStevenson
03-26-2013, 12:56 AM
Hah. Like a 6x12 Holga Film Back. Build quality of the Holga 120Pan, but the opportunity for sharper glass, and plenty of light leaks.

I am actually impressed and quite releived with the quality of the DaYi. After seeing the GuoHuo, my expectations for a Chinese 6x12 film back were pretty low.

didjiman
03-26-2013, 04:35 AM
The thing to remember that this is not a single "China Inc." There are plenty who make cheap crap, but there are still quality artisans abound.

mark
03-26-2013, 10:40 AM
Didjiman, you are obviously right but reputation is everything. Is every American a gun toting redneck who wants to control the world? No, but that is how many in the world view us. All you have to do is look at posts about Americans on this board to see how the actions of a few are plastered on everyone.

drumlin
03-26-2013, 02:56 PM
I was just considering buying a 6x12 back and saw on ebay both backs you bought, Wayne. Good to hear that the extra $100 or so dollars for the DaYi gets you a bump up in quality. Let us know if that back is leaky too.

Is the seller of the Guohuo going to accept a return on the "Holga back"?

WayneStevenson
03-26-2013, 11:31 PM
"There are plenty who make cheap crap, but there are still quality artisans abound. "
True, but I see so many rebranded items with slight variations in electronics on eBay, that it's obvious that there are not a lot of factories out there supplying us through eBay.So I did have my suspicions they possibly were being made in the same location with similar effort towards quality. Heh.

"Is the seller of the Guohuo going to accept a return on the "Holga back"? "

He certainly did. He refunded my money back without question, and gave me extra money to cover the shipping back to him. ecbuyonline2008

He / they were such a pleasure to deal with, I bought the DaYi from him. I think I will also be getting a 6x12 viewfinder off of him for my speed graphic. I think I may want to use this hand-held some times.

WayneStevenson
03-27-2013, 10:39 PM
I am so happy to report that the 6x12 DaYi back was able to hold all of it's darkness in. Even with the darkslide out.

And to add to my thoughts, the Guohuo's advance knob was really stubby and made advancing the frame very hard to do as there was really no way to get a good grasp on it with your fingers. Especially if it was left on the camera. There was also a lot of friction that added to the annoyance.

The DaYi advances so smoothly.

jetcode
10-18-2013, 02:04 PM
Does anyone know if you can shoot 220 with a Shen-Hao NHS 617 Art Panorama film back?

Thanks!

LJH
10-18-2013, 04:28 PM
Does anyone know if you can shoot 220 with a Shen-Hao NHS 617 Art Panorama film back?

Thanks!

Probably not, as it uses the red window design. 220 does not have backing paper, so will a) fog and b) not allow you to know where on the roll you are.

Additionally, I don't know of any 220 still being made, so it's a relatively moot point unless you have a store of OOD film.

jetcode
10-18-2013, 06:56 PM
I have 25 rolls of recently expired Fuji160S. The window on mine is yellow. Thanks. I like 4 shots to a roll.

ambaker
10-18-2013, 10:18 PM
Probably not, as it uses the red window design. 220 does not have backing paper, so will a) fog and b) not allow you to know where on the roll you are.

Additionally, I don't know of any 220 still being made, so it's a relatively moot point unless you have a store of OOD film.

I believe Kodak Portra 160 & 400 in 220 are still in production.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

StoneNYC
10-18-2013, 11:42 PM
I believe Kodak Portra 160 & 400 in 220 are still in production.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yes you can buy it at B&H Photo, along with 620 :)

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

MattKing
10-19-2013, 12:02 AM
Yes you can buy it at B&H Photo, along with 620 :)

The 220 Portra is a standard product manufactured and packaged that way by Kodak. It used to be a staple of the wedding photography business, and I expect most of the current use is by those who are still shooting weddings on film (aka the civilized ones :whistling:)

The 620 that B & H shows is 120 that has been manufactured by Kodak, but re-spooled on to a 620 spool by someone else.

StoneNYC
10-19-2013, 01:19 AM
The 220 Portra is a standard product manufactured and packaged that way by Kodak. It used to be a staple of the wedding photography business, and I expect most of the current use is by those who are still shooting weddings on film (aka the civilized ones :whistling:)

The 620 that B & H shows is 120 that has been manufactured by Kodak, but re-spooled on to a 620 spool by someone else.

My point was that it's still available... Lol

TareqPhoto
11-19-2013, 04:34 AM
What will be the difference between DaYi or Gaorsi or Fotoman 6x17 rather than the price?

europanorama
08-06-2014, 08:42 PM
Kerry Thalmann did a review in _View Camera_ magazine, I think it was last issue. It looks like a good option, but there may be a new one coming out that also looks interesting. Check the forum at lfphoto.info, and there's a thread on this new Chinese 6x17 back with a link to the website.
http://www.lf-photo.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2089