PDA

View Full Version : Bargain?

Pages : 1 [2]

bohica
09-15-2005, 06:20 PM
Dan, I don't have it anymore, I deleted it off at the close of the auction, I was under the impression( and my prev experience) was like someone said, you could raise ur max bid and it only came into play if someone bid against you. That's why it surprised me that he entered 3 bids in under 40 srconds and each one was treated like a "new" bidder. I thought maybe he was using "snipe" software that was causing this. The item was a very rough nikkor 43-86 AI lens that I didn't really want but put a $10 bid on anyway, I have an old FG20 that my non AI lenses won't fit.

Dan Fromm
09-15-2005, 07:21 PM
Dan, I don't have it anymore, I deleted it off at the close of the auction, I was under the impression( and my prev experience) was like someone said, you could raise ur max bid and it only came into play if someone bid against you. That's why it surprised me that he entered 3 bids in under 40 srconds and each one was treated like a "new" bidder. I thought maybe he was using "snipe" software that was causing this. The item was a very rough nikkor 43-86 AI lens that I didn't really want but put a $10 bid on anyway, I have an old FG20 that my non AI lenses won't fit.Thanks for the reply. I delete old auctions too.

Cheers,

Donald Qualls
09-15-2005, 11:53 PM
I recently bid on an item that went higher than I was willing to pay< I watched just to see how high it would go and the same bidder bid against himself 3 times in a row, raising the bid each time. He bought it for $20.50 and could have had it for $11.50

This can only happen if the earlier bids were below a reserve. Even if he were bidding against a higher bid that was later cancelled, the bid amount would otherwise revert to the lowest bid that exceeded those of other bidders.

Understanding how eBay handles proxy bidding and reserves can tell you a lot, about whether someone who's outbid you has done so by a penny, a nickel, or by more than the bid increment (and when/how they can do the former and not the latter), about what you're looking at when you see the same bidder bid three times in a row (is he trying to sneak up on your bid, or is he reevaluating what he's willing to pay?), about why you'll sometimes place a lone bid and the price will jump a lot higher than the minimum starting bid, and about when you can and can't bid yourself up. If you don't understand this stuff, it's very probable you'll miss items you could have won without feeling you paid too much, paid too much for other items (or opened yourself to doing so by bidding more than necessary), or even be drawn into a bidding war as bids creep up by a minimum increment, over and over.

Of course, no amount of knowledge will get you a Crown Graphic for $10 unless you're just too lucky to live...