PDA

View Full Version : South Island ~ Central Otago/Otago Region

Pages : 1 [2]

roteague
11-10-2005, 06:14 PM
Robert

you know more about the South Island than I do!

Clayton

I doubt that; I was there just about a month ago, so the memory is pretty fresh. However, I do have a pretty good memory for places, and Central Otago is one of my favorite places in NZ.

Kathy Harcom
11-11-2005, 01:29 PM
Hi Kathy,

Fleur's Place is in Moeraki village, about 20km north of Palmerston on the coast (It would be over 250 km from the Queenstown/Arrowtown area, but worth the trip). The village is a few km off the main highway so you need to watch for the signs - the turnoff is about 2 or 3 km from Moeraki Boulders, so if you pass the Boulders you have missed the village.

Moeraki Boulders is a great place to visit, great landscapes. When you turn off the main highway, the road branches to the left; this is to a private restaurant/tourist center, with beach access (they ask for $2) and is only a short walk from there to the boulders themselves. If you continue straight instead of turning, you come to a Department of Conservation park/picnic ground. From there the walk is about .5 km to the boulders.

Thanks Robert!
I love the boulders and did visit them on my previous trip, and took quite a few pictures....which are hopefully going to be used soon by a well known company :) But I would love to go again, as the light was a little harsh, and I am sure I could do better. Fleurs place though, and the village, we completely missed, so it is great to have that info, so thanks.

:)

roteague
11-11-2005, 03:29 PM
I love the boulders and did visit them on my previous trip, and took quite a few pictures....which are hopefully going to be used soon by a well known company :)

Wonderful!!! I shot a few 4x5 transparencies there last month, but haven't processed them yet. I'll have to get busy ....

roteague
11-11-2005, 05:45 PM
I was just thinking, if you can swing it, be at the Moeraki village late in the afternoon. One of the people at Fluer's Place told me the boats come back every afternoon to unload - that is where the restaurant also get their fish.

Here is a quick snap I took from the second floor dining area of the restaurant of the boat harbour - shot through a glass window, just a snap.

Kathy Harcom
11-13-2005, 04:23 AM
I was just thinking, if you can swing it, be at the Moeraki village late in the afternoon. One of the people at Fluer's Place told me the boats come back every afternoon to unload - that is where the restaurant also get their fish.

Here is a quick snap I took from the second floor dining area of the restaurant of the boat harbour - shot through a glass window, just a snap.

:)

Thanks Robert, sounds like a good plan.