PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange - Round 5

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10

Dug
12-14-2005, 06:17 PM
I noticed the Ilfochrome material is an excellent medium for gathering fingerprints, so I am interested to hear their arrival condition.

Nige
12-14-2005, 06:24 PM
I got David's the other day... amazing such a building can be left to run down in such a way, but then it happens the world over!

A BW card by a Girl turned up today... you can keep your snow, nice to get pictures of it though :)

BWGirl
12-14-2005, 08:09 PM
I got David's the other day... amazing such a building can be left to run down in such a way, but then it happens the world over!

A BW card by a Girl turned up today... you can keep your snow, nice to get pictures of it though :)
:D

BWKate
12-15-2005, 07:22 AM
I noticed the Ilfochrome material is an excellent medium for gathering fingerprints, so I am interested to hear their arrival condition.

Doug,

Your postcard was in pretty good condition. Any fingerprints are easily wiped off. You wrote that's it's a contact print. Are you saying it's a 4" x 5" Velvia postive? Wow, cool.

BWKate

Imke
12-15-2005, 06:17 PM
Hey Doug,
got yours today, beautiful, thanks! And the fingerprints on it are mostly mine, but seem to stick really well. :)
Imke

David A. Goldfarb
12-16-2005, 12:13 AM
OUTSTANDING split-toned postcard from Dave Miller today. If you think Dave's IR work in the gallery is impressive, the scans aren't even vaguely close to the real thing.

mikeg
12-16-2005, 03:09 AM
OUTSTANDING split-toned postcard from Dave Miller today. If you think Dave's IR work in the gallery is impressive, the scans aren't even vaguely close to the real thing.

You've really spoiled us this time Dave, fantastic image of a lovely place. No expense spared with gold chloride split toning as well! I must revisit Houghton Mill -- I haven't been back since I stayed there 25 years ago when it was a youth hostel.

Cheers

Mike

toddstew
12-16-2005, 01:33 PM
I finally got my act together and sent out my postcards today. Hope they make it to where they're supposed to go! I love coming home and finding cool postcards in my otherwise fairly lame pile of mail. Thanks everybody for the postcards!
todd

Dug
12-16-2005, 05:27 PM
Art!

I got your postcard/holiday card yesterday. It is awesome! Explain what you did (or do we have to wait for others to get theirs?).

Doug

gr82bart
12-16-2005, 06:11 PM
I got your postcard/holiday card yesterday. It is awesome! Explain what you did (or do we have to wait for others to get theirs?).Hi Doug,

Thanks. I am glad you liked it. It's really just a basic Polaroid transfer. I picked out an image of a cherry tree in, of all places, a parking lot somewhere in suburban Orange County, LA! The image itself was taken using Kodak Ektachrome 100 with a Hasselblad 503CW and a 40mm CFE lens.

The transfer process is pretty simple. I use a Daylab 120 with a 4x5 base and I use Polaroid Type 59 film. Basically, you load the transparency into the Daylab, it makes an image on the Polaroid film. I 'soften' paper in warm water, squeegee out the excess and pull out the film from the Daylab. After a5s development, I peel apart the Polaroid 'film' from the print and transfer the image from the film onto the paper. I'm not really explaining it well here, so go to the Polaroid website for more details.

And voila! I have my Polaroid transfer. Snip the paper to fit the greeting card pocket and you've got a greeting card.

I am glad you enjoyed it and I hope others will too.

Regards, Art.

David A. Goldfarb
12-16-2005, 06:23 PM
I got Art's transfer yesterday, BWGirl's a couple of days ago, and three more today, too, from Randy, Imke, and Paul Sorensen.

Art--next APUG event at my place, let's try some 8x10" transfers. I've never done it before, but I think I've got everything we need for it except some watercolor paper.

gr82bart
12-16-2005, 06:33 PM
Art--next APUG event at my place, let's try some 8x10" transfers.You're on Dave. I can bring paper.

Art.

David A. Goldfarb
12-16-2005, 06:37 PM
Next event should be the return of the Traveling Portfolio. We'll talk.

mikeg
12-17-2005, 01:44 PM
Art, BWKate and Doug's cards all arrived today. What a wonderful and diverse set, many thanks everyone. Now I know what a polaroid transfer looks like! Doug, your card made it to the UK in perfect condition.

Cheers

Mike

Dave Miller
12-17-2005, 02:11 PM
I’ve received several cards over the last few days: BWGirl’s, Doug’s, David G’s, BWKate’s, and one whose signature I cannot decipher, but it’s a picture of a park in New Jersey. All top rate, and welcome additions to my collection.

David A. Goldfarb
12-17-2005, 03:15 PM
Asbury Park, NJ is probably mine. My cards for exchange #4 and 5 are both from Asbury Park, and they went out about a week apart from each other. They're both in my APUG gallery if you want to confirm.

Dave Miller
12-17-2005, 03:35 PM
Asbury Park, NJ is probably mine. My cards for exchange #4 and 5 are both from Asbury Park, and they went out about a week apart from each other. They're both in my APUG gallery if you want to confirm.

They are indeed both yours David.

Flotsam
12-17-2005, 03:39 PM
I wish you guys ( and ladies) had a gallery to post your postcards in . I'd love to see even a pale, digital representation of what is being exchanged.

Also, I like the postcard concept but I am a bit reticent. I have been tempted to participate but I don't want to stink the place up too bad. Maybe seeing what is going around might inspire me to produce something that is of suficient quality to join in a future round

David A. Goldfarb
12-17-2005, 03:43 PM
I wish you guys ( and ladies) had a gallery to post your postcards in . I'd love to see even a pale, digital representation of what is being exchanged.

Here are some of mine--

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=7746&cat=500&ppuser=60

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=7893&cat=500&ppuser=60

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=7894&cat=500&ppuser=60

Dave Miller
12-17-2005, 04:02 PM
There was talk earlier of posting our postcard pics to a dedicated gallery. Any ideas anyone?