PDA

View Full Version : Trip to Ilford Mobberley factory on 2nd June 06

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Ole
11-24-2005, 02:00 AM
This would be interesting, maybe I can manage a hop across the North Sea...

FrankB
11-24-2005, 02:40 AM
Still very much interested in this with the new dates. I'm not so far from Mobberley, so should be able to fit it in pretty much as and when.

markbb
11-24-2005, 02:57 AM
This would be interesting, maybe I can manage a hop across the North Sea...
Ole,
if you do come over let me know

kraker
11-24-2005, 06:17 AM
'Tis a long trek up to Manchester from London, but I know I'll just get annoyed at myself and sulk if I didn't go, so count me in too.

Honestly, even I would consider making the trip, and I'm not even in the UK... (talk about a long trek...) A tour at Ilford, that sounds very interesting and tempting...

Ben Taylor
11-24-2005, 10:40 AM
Tentatively count me in! I'd love to go but it depends on the date, it's our wedding anniversary at the end of May. For some reason I suspect my wife might not be best pleased if I spent it in the dark with a load of Ilford scientists...

Simon R Galley
11-24-2005, 11:23 AM
Dear All,

I will post some dates tomorrow or early next week, a couple of questions though, the coating machine runs at weekends ( dependant on shift patterns ) but most of our people do not ( obviously ) would you prefer to visit on a work day ?*, when more people are about and working and you could visit things working like film and paper finishing

*If you agree a workday is better, I think a friday is best, because perhaps you could make a weekend of it in the English Lakes or in North Wales both about 90 mins away. If anyone needs local accomodation I could suggest various places...

Regards

Simon.

Leon
11-24-2005, 11:29 AM
I'm happy either way Simon although it would be good to see the factory in all it's working glory, so a weekday might be better??

11-24-2005, 01:01 PM
I agree a friday would probably be best (though if the idea is to catch them working don't leave it too late in the afternoon: P.O.E.T.S...)

Ian

kraker
11-25-2005, 01:05 AM
A Friday would indeed be preferable; people who wish to do so can turn it into a long weekend in the countryside. (I'm thinking especially about people from abroad).

Simon R Galley
11-25-2005, 03:36 AM
Dear Leon et al,

A friday it seems would be best, I will try and finalise a date today :

As an FYI If you need to organise any UK APUG function, ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology would be pleased to make available our darkrooms or meeting rooms ( we also have a small training centre ) free of charge, I know Manchester is not the best location but the offer is there...

Simon.

FrankB
11-25-2005, 04:02 AM
As an FYI If you need to organise any UK APUG function, ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology would be pleased to make available our darkrooms or meeting rooms ( we also have a small training centre ) free of charge, I know Manchester is not the best location but the offer is there...

It's a much appreciated offer, Simon. Thank you very much!

We've had a couple of meet-up-and-shoot sessions in the UK so far which have gone very well. Now, a meet-up-and-print session... ...that could be very interesting!

Bob F.
11-25-2005, 04:03 AM
Dear Leon et al,

A friday it seems would be best, I will try and finalise a date today :

Simon.Prepare to get drowned in an avalanche of suggestions! That is a very generous offer. Many thanks.

Manchester can be viewed as a gateway to several areas of photographic interest: Lakes, Dales, N. Wales...

Cheers, Bob.

Bob F.
11-25-2005, 04:08 AM
A Friday would indeed be preferable; people who wish to do so can turn it into a long weekend in the countryside. (I'm thinking especially about people from abroad).If anyone does decide to fly in, PM me as I live less than a mile away from Heathrow airport.

Cheers, Bob.

Leon
11-25-2005, 04:23 AM
Now, a meet-up-and-print session... ...that could be very interesting!

that is an amazing opportunity - thanks Simon and Ilford.

Dave Miller
11-25-2005, 11:43 AM
If anyone does decide to fly in, PM me as I live less than a mile away from Heathrow airport.

Cheers, Bob.
But wouldn't they fly into Manchester airport? :confused:

roteague
11-25-2005, 11:47 AM
But wouldn't they fly into Manchester airport? :confused:

Not if coming from the US. Most major American carriers fly primarily to Heathrow.

I'm thinking about it myself, but the UK is a long way from Hawaii!! About 15 hours flying time total.

Bob F.
11-25-2005, 12:00 PM
You mean there are other airports in England - When did that happen??? ;)

Good point: that was a brain-fade post - was up all night building servers ready for a weekend install... what fun... Plus, a look at the map suggests that anyone flying in to Manchester could hop off the plane and be at Mobberley in about 10 minutes...

Cheers, Bob.

pentaxuser
11-25-2005, 04:17 PM
I can just imaging it on the coating line, someone pulls out a Crown graphic with a number 5 flashbulb..........

Just as they did at the LaMotta/Robinson fights. Only this time someone called Ray who works for Ilford will be able to knock him down and stuff a summons in his inside pocket for a hefty damages lawsuit.

Pentaxuser

Leon
11-26-2005, 11:29 AM
to further the excitement, Les Mclean has offered to give a printing demonstration in the Ilford darkrooms if he can make the date Simon gives us. This just keeps getting better!

mikeg
11-26-2005, 04:36 PM
Not if coming from the US. Most major American carriers fly primarily to Heathrow.

Nope! Manchester is a major hub, I and my work colleagues use it to get to the US as it's a much more pleasant experience than going down to Heathrow. Easier to get to (for us!) with fewer traffic problems, and less people. The US airlines flying to Manchester include AA, Continental, Delta, US Airways and United. You've also got BA, Virgin and loads of others. According to my route planning software, it's only 8.5 miles from the airport to Mobberley, perfect for anyone coming from the US!

Mike