PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying early 20th century camera

George Papantoniou
01-20-2006, 09:41 AM
A friend asked me to tell him about a wooden studio camera with a stand that he bought from an antique dealer.

The camera is an Ernemann Globus and has a badge on its side that reads "Globus A.G. Ernemann V. E. Herbst & Firl Gorlitz".

The lens is a Bausch & Lomb and has a sign that reads "UNICUM".

I made a few pictures of all that and can send them to anyone that might be able to identify it...

If someone has an idea about the age and the value of this camera (or anything else), please tell me...

mfobrien
01-20-2006, 12:41 PM
Google is your friend...

argus
01-20-2006, 02:32 PM
I have several Ernemann plate cameras. The collectors value is not very high.

The lens might be interesting.

G

DKT
01-20-2006, 03:25 PM
as luck would have it, it just so happens I have a copy of the latest McKeown's guide....on pg. 196, they have an Ernemann Globus pictured on a stand, and the preceding page has a few of the field cameras without the stand. They show a series of these cameras--one looks sorta like a tailboard field camera to me, the other has a front bed with the standard moving out forward more like you'd think of a field camera nowadays. The "salon" model looks like a real beast of a camera on a twin girder studio stand.

this is what they say though; " ca. 1900-1920. Folding field cameras mostly in 13x18 cm or 18x24 cm sizes, but also made in sizes from 9x12 cm to 40x50 cm. Because there are so many similar models, mostly falling within the same price range, we have chosen not to list each model separately. If you are serious about collecting Globus cameras, we recommend that you refer to _Ernemann Ca,eras, Die Geschichte des Dresdner Photo-Kino-Werks_ by Peter Gollner......as a general guide for pricing, for models with focal plane shutter or 9x12 cm models: $400-600. Other models with contemporary lenses: $300-450."

I'm actually working on a museum exhibit right now of late 1800s, early 1900s photo stuff and one of the items I'm looking at in our collection is a B&L lens with a unicum shutter. I found this site the other day, if you're interested:

http://www.mhs.ox.ac.uk/cameras/index.htm

hope this helps