PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange - Round 6

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

SteveH
02-04-2006, 01:20 PM
So, is this 'postcard' paper just Multigrade IV RC Deluxe in 3.5"x5" ? If so, then I see it available at calumet and B&H....Unless Ilford specifically calls it 'postcard'.

EDIT - Nevermind, I answered my own question...

kwmullet
02-04-2006, 03:32 PM
I noticed the other day that Film Depot in Denton, TX (http://local.google.com/local?f=q&sll=33.22893,-97.131436&sspn=0.091325,0.159645&hl=en&q=film+depot&ll=33.23023,-97.171878&spn=0.001427,0.002494&t=h) has a few boxes of Ilford postcard stock. Don't remember what surface, but I'm pretty sure it was RC.

-FyI-

-KwM-

Andy K
02-04-2006, 04:15 PM
So, is this 'postcard' paper just Multigrade IV RC Deluxe in 3.5"x5" ? If so, then I see it available at calumet and B&H....Unless Ilford specifically calls it 'postcard'.

EDIT - Nevermind, I answered my own question...

My box of Ilford Postcard paper looks like this.

komet
02-04-2006, 05:51 PM
Can I join, even though I'm a novice printer? Not sure if I can get hold of Ilford postcard stock - would postcard-sized other paper be OK?

anthony

Jim Moore
02-04-2006, 06:56 PM
Psst Jim, Keep this quiet. If you need a box of postcard stock, I can send you one.

Thanks Aggie... I'll send you a PM :p

Kevin Caulfield
02-04-2006, 08:18 PM
Can I join, even though I'm a novice printer? Not sure if I can get hold of Ilford postcard stock - would postcard-sized other paper be OK?

anthony

Any paper is okay. As Nige said, the Ilford postcard stuff is pretty strong, but you can use anything you like.

kwmullet
02-04-2006, 09:36 PM
Plz count me in this round as well. I've already E-Mailed my particulars to Nige.

looking forward to adding to the population of my postcard tin. Dianna and I were actually kicking around ideas for having postcards sandwiched between sheets of plexiglass, held together with clips, and suspended in a kind of ladder-arrangement to share with anyone who comes in our home.

Has anyone come up with some nice, creative ways to display their postcard collection?

It occurs to me another way would be to cut two window mats about 1/4 of an inch shorter in each dimension out of 2-ply mat board and stack them together in a binder. Of course, viewers would be robbed of a beautiful sliver of each postcard.

hrm.

-KwM-

Nige
02-04-2006, 10:21 PM
Has anyone come up with some nice, creative ways to display their postcard collection?

It occurs to me another way would be to cut two window mats about 1/4 of an inch shorter in each dimension out of 2-ply mat board and stack them together in a binder. Of course, viewers would be robbed of a beautiful sliver of each postcard.

hrm.

-KwM-

No, I haven't. I like to be able to read the back of the card as well. I also don't like just letting people handle them which is a bit weird considering most have come through the mail system and have all sorts of marks, stamps and stickers on them! I was thinking of mounting them in windows on card and placing them in an album so you can read the back.

kwmullet
02-04-2006, 11:00 PM
one thing I thought of after that last post was to maybe I could cut two 'overmats' to the exact dimensions of each postcard (assuming each is pretty square) and sandwich them with the bevels reversed so the postcard is cradled in a little crevice, and all the real-estate is visible. I don't know if I'm up to the task, though, of cutting such exact mats with my little hand-held mat cutter and modest experience at mat cutting.

-KwM-

Andy K
02-05-2006, 03:22 AM

-KwM-

The Lomographic Society sell 'Fotoclips' (http://shop.lomography.com/fotoclip/product.html) which allow photographs to be clipped together in various 2D and 3D display arrangements. I've never used them but they are an option.

Nige
02-05-2006, 04:30 AM
Well I spent an hour this arvo starting my postcard book. Used some albums my wife had bought for scrapbooking (but rejected). I used some photo corners so I can removed them if I desire. I'm going to write details next to each card. I also decided to include the card I sent which I stuck on the heading page (the wring was added digitally... I haven't gotten to that bit either.

Anyways... hopefully those that sent me the cards don't mind me showing them in this format (not great digicam snaps)

Postcard Display folder (http://users.tpg.com.au/nlandgl/postcards/index.html)

kwmullet
02-05-2006, 07:31 AM
The Lomographic Society sell 'Fotoclips' (http://shop.lomography.com/fotoclip/product.html) which allow photographs to be clipped together in various 2D and 3D display arrangements. I've never used them but they are an option.

Cool site. Makes me want to just buy the clips out of appreciation for their creativity.

BWKate
02-06-2006, 02:10 AM
Wow Nige,

I love your way of displaying your postcard collection. It really sets everyone's miniature masterpieces off rather nicely. I've just been toting mine around in an empty Ilford postcard box. Then again, I only have Round#5 postcards.
I'm in again this round and have sent particulars.

BWKate

Nicole
02-06-2006, 03:33 AM
I've bought a special little box for my collection - and my prints/cards are on their way merry way shortly. :)

David A. Goldfarb
02-06-2006, 07:22 AM
My solution is a little less sophisticated.

Rob Skeoch
02-06-2006, 08:01 AM
I thought they were supposed to be stored in cigar boxes.

reellis67
02-06-2006, 08:04 AM
David, it appears that you and I think somewhat alike! I was getting ready to order a box from Light Impressions that looks very much like what you are using.

- Randy

David A. Goldfarb
02-06-2006, 08:23 AM
I get them from B&H, but Light Impressions also sells them. I pass the box around when we have APUG gatherings at my place.

kwmullet
02-06-2006, 10:30 AM
My solution is a little less sophisticated.

so is my current one (see biscuit tin below), but these postcards are just so wonderful, that I hate to hide their light under a bushel, or in a closet, as it were. I'd like everyone who enters whatever room in which I have them to gravitate toward them and get sucked into spending twenty minutes or so just exploring the front and back of each one.

-KwM-

BWKate
02-06-2006, 12:30 PM
I think I'm going to need a bigger box.

BWKate