PDA

View Full Version : Argus article in Shutterbug this month.

waynecrider
02-17-2006, 07:58 PM
I hate to clog up any forum with just an announcement, but for those interested in Argus cameras, (an Ann Arbor, Michigan company) there was a pretty decent article about the company and it's offerings in this months (FEB) Shutterbug magazine. Since 3,000,000 Argus "bricks" were sold, there might be a few of you interested in the companies history which was really pretty innovative, starting out as a radio company and retooling to produce low cost minature (35mm) cameras in their "off" season. It's an interesting article for history buff's and there's a phone number at the end of the article for a guy who bought the remaining parts stock and can repair the cameras (supposedly?).

glennfromwy
02-17-2006, 11:35 PM
The "Brick" - probably one of, if not the most prolific camera ever made. I still use one occasionally. Hard to understand if you've ever tested the shutter speeds on the things. They're just all over the place. Still some fine pictures were made with them. I have a favorite brick with accurate speeds in modern progression, achieved by patiently turning the speed dial and testing a bit at a time, then making new marks. Some folks will do anything to keep using one of these things, eh?

waynecrider
02-18-2006, 10:01 AM
Beyond the brick, they also produced a more Leica loking rangefinder with interchangeable lenses. Btw, from what I read, some models of the brick actually had interchangeable lenses as well. Appparently most owners did not know about this.

Kevin Roach
02-18-2006, 07:50 PM
I had an argus 33. I loved that goofy looking camera, had all the lenses and everything. the meter even worked. Someone stole it from my car. Just imagine the look on the thief's face when he opened the camera bag. hehe

http://www.cameraquest.com/argc33.htm

glennfromwy
02-18-2006, 10:22 PM
The C-3 brick could take three lenses. A 35mm, the normal 50mm Cintar, and a 100mm Tele Sandmar. Enna Werke also made lenses for Argus cameras. They weren't hard to change, just unscrew the knurled nut on the rangefinder coupling gear, remove the gear, unscrew one and screw on another. The most well known interchangeable lens model was the C-44. It had much the same focal lengths available. It was also known for being the most stubborn, hard to change setup ever made. I have one of those too. Other interchangeable lens setups were, if memory serves, the C-33 and the Geiss modified C-4.

waynecrider
02-19-2006, 02:32 PM
I have a C44 knob wind with the 50mm F2.8 that was given to me a couple of years back. I've been thinking about buying a 35mm for it just for grins, but, I'd have to read something first about the lens. I found one in the box for $75, but thought that a little too pricey.

Fedzilla_Bob
02-23-2006, 12:30 AM
I've been using my c44 with modern color film- mostly Kodak 400uc. I find this film is very forgiving of erratic shutter speeds and the limitations that 4 shutter speeds enforce.

The Cintagon 50mm gives nice results with color film. I do find that I need to be very careful about flare. I havent found a decent lens hood for this beast yet.

I need to try a roll of XP2 in it.

BTW- I don't mind the minor bugaboos with the lens mount. I think the issue is a little overblown. Especially since such nice lenses can be had with an ok camera for only a few dollars.

Bob H

BTW- I'm new here.

glennfromwy
02-24-2006, 12:37 AM
You should have seen what a C-44 could do with Agfa Ultra 50. Geez, I miss that film.

Fedzilla_Bob
02-24-2006, 02:50 AM
I do have some Kodachrome 64 in the fridge. Maybe it's time to break it out.

waynecrider
02-24-2006, 11:08 AM
You should have seen what a C-44 could do with Agfa Ultra 50. Geez, I miss that film.

I tried the Ultra 100 when it came out and every time I come across the photo's and compare them to others in my drawer I wonder why I never shot more of it.