PDA

View Full Version : IS there a good professional film for landscape???

Pages : 1 [2] 3

game
02-21-2006, 10:34 AM
you are right, I will do some tests this week.
kodak uc100 & kodak portra vc & fuji reala....
Will posts my thought on the results.
Best regards SAM

game
02-22-2006, 08:24 AM
uc100, is that a new film? No one here in the betherlands, invluding dutch postorder companies have it...
Do you guys know a good website to order film, that will deliver to europe and is rather fast?

Thanks Sam

mark
02-22-2006, 08:53 AM
"professional" film, in my opinion is a marketing ploy. The pro part comes from the person using the film. I shoot both neg and transparency films but am in no way a professional. I shoot what I do because I like the look of the film. I have no doubt that there are folks on this forum who could pick up some consumer film and the images they get from it would kick the crap out of anything I can shoot with professional film.

game
02-22-2006, 08:58 AM
I don't agree about the marketing trick...

And even if you're right, hypotethically(sp?), then consumer film is not so concistent as proffesional ones....
A good photograher does not need to be a pro. A pro is just someone that earnes a living out of it. But a good photographer relies on what he knows and learned about a film. If he gets a complete different film. he
will experience trouble....

Sam

langedp
02-22-2006, 08:31 PM
Game:

I shoot mostly landscapes in 4x5 and 8x10 and use Portra VC for color work. I print on Kodak Ultra Endura in my own darkroom. This combination works well for me and produces results far better than I ever got with transparencies. Printing your own makes a big difference.

game
02-23-2006, 05:04 AM
Actually I am going to print on my own.
I have the complete darkroom set up, and will be trying to make all work next weeks.
I will always stick to NC, and it be most handy to have a kodak film as well for the more saturated work. Ultra color 100 seem more logical to me because NC and VC are rather close to eachother in terms of saturation and contrast.
I will try Fuji reala too though, since I hear good stuff about that film.

But does anyone here knows a good online store that sells kodak Uc100?
(really is available were I live)

Thanks Sam

Soeren
02-23-2006, 05:25 AM
I don't agree about the marketing trick...

And even if you're right, hypotethically(sp?), then consumer film is not so concistent as proffesional ones....
A good photograher does not need to be a pro. A pro is just someone that earnes a living out of it. But a good photographer relies on what he knows and learned about a film. If he gets a complete different film. he
will experience trouble....

Sam

Actually profilms are only consistent within the batch. You will find different colorcasts from batch to batch (transparancy films). Pro's will shoot a testroll to determine wether to use a filter to compensate. My favorite color film in 35mm is Kodak Elitechrome 100 Extra color which I find more consistent and neutral than the Pro Ektachrome 100 VS. In color negs you are left in the hands of the lap and their mercy. They can screw up anything pro- or consumergrade. I guess that the latitude will cover up the differences between the two types.
Regards Søren

game
02-23-2006, 06:47 AM
I've shot velvia, but slides are no option anymore. When I shot slides I noticed that they can produce awesome stuff... But I need prints, and I need them often. Slides are really no option for several reasons.

(can someone maybe think of a good webstore though :) )
best regards Sam

Soeren
02-23-2006, 06:56 AM
Brenner fotoversand in Germany is where I buy a lot of my stuff

http://www.alles-foto.de/

Fotoimpex is another great webstore

http://www.fotoimpex.de/

I prefer those because they both are on the continent and for you another benefit is they deal in €.
Regards Søren

Soeren
02-23-2006, 07:00 AM
You could also google
Oehling
Monochrom
Technikdirect (one word)

Search around the web and you may find more
I deleted a lot from my favorites some time ago.
Cheers Søren

game
02-23-2006, 07:20 AM
thanks soren!!! I'll check 'm out

game
02-23-2006, 07:27 AM
weird, none of them carries kodak uc100...

Maybe I should move this to another topic, since this does not really has to do with this topic anymore...

Sam

game
02-23-2006, 07:30 AM
hmm kodak.com indicates it's only available in us canada and japan....

guess I'll have to order from overseas....
anyone knows one that is good ad quick and carries uc1oo?
Best regards Sam

Soeren
02-23-2006, 07:42 AM
I think Impex should be able to get it for you since they are known as or at least cooperate with J&C across the pond :)
Try the english pages om Impex or google JandC or try to PM JandC here on APUG
Regards Søren

Edit: Sorry, it looks like JandC only carry B&W material so you have to rely on the Members across the pond on this one :(

game
02-23-2006, 08:56 AM
Well, I found some shops that can ship it to me. will cost me quite a lot, so I won;t do it directly...

Something else I found out, and that seems completally weird to me. Is that in europe we have another pro negative film called 'kodak elite color'
it's on te exact same place in the kodak website.
view (http://wwwnl.kodak.com/global/en/professional/products/films/eliteColor/main.jhtml?id=0.1.22.14.13.18&lc=en)
it has the same text, the same layout, but is available in 200 and 400. Instead of 100 and 400.
How weird is this.
Who can elaborate on this??
Best regards Sam

Helen B
02-23-2006, 01:14 PM
The more I use Fuji Pro 160S the more I like it, and I've posted a few more examples (link below - changes to the site now allow non-members to view the 'large' versions if they wish). Can you get Pro 160S more easily than 100UC?

Best,
Helen

Tammyk
02-23-2006, 02:37 PM
I'll agree with Helen. I also know many large format shooters going with NPS (fuji) when they want to extend latitude over slides. The results are beautiful.

langedp
02-23-2006, 08:39 PM

Best regards Sam

www.bhphotovideo.com They have most everything.

It only comes in 35mm and 120

langedp
02-23-2006, 08:49 PM

Best regards Sam

www.bhphotovideo.com They have most everything.

It only comes in 35mm and 120

game
02-24-2006, 07:02 AM
I have been to that website and indeed I can orde from there.
Mailing it will cost 30 dollar extra.... (relativally cheap though compared to other sites). BUT

They asked me to send a copy of my creditcard!!!!! by mail or email. I have read a lot about this site on the internet and it seems to be safe, but I won't send copy of my creditcard nowhere!

Best regards Sam