PDA

View Full Version : Philadelphia Antique/Vintage Camera Show

Pages : [1] 2

SteveH
03-02-2006, 08:07 AM
All,
I stopped at a camera shop in Chestnut Hill yesterday as they have a wide assortment of antique cameras, and I was trying to match-up my old Balda folder. The owner of the shop told me about an antique/vintage camera show this weekend, here are the details:

'Photorama'
Radisson Hotel - Trevose.
2499 Old Lincoln Hwy
Sunday March 5th, 10-3. $6 entrance fee.

www.photorama.com

I am going to attend. If anyone else plans on going, shoot me a PM and perhaps we can make lunch.

wfe
03-02-2006, 08:10 AM
Would love to join you Steve but my weekend is full. I have been to these before, in fact I bought my Hassy at one of these. Lots of good stuff.

SteveH
03-02-2006, 08:12 AM
Sorry for the late notice. I wasn't aware of this until yesterday.....

Shinnya
03-02-2006, 08:56 AM
Hi Steve,

I think I will try to come by just to see what is there. Give me a e-mail if you want to meet up.

Warmly,
Tsuyoshi

stark raving
03-03-2006, 11:16 PM
Steve,

I will be there, unfortunately as I have a church organist gig the earliest I'll be at the show is around 12:30. Happy to meet any APUG'ers who are around.

Jonathan

SteveH
03-04-2006, 09:56 AM
Jonathan,
I may still be around. Shoot me an email.

Dan Fromm
03-05-2006, 11:51 AM
I went, I saw, I left.

Practically nothing there appealed to me. The usual few vendors but a few more buyers or lookers than at the last several shows.

I came away with a lens cap, a strap for the N8008S I expect KEH to replace (taking longer than I want, grrr!), and a small semi-treasure in the form of a 203/7.7 Kodak Anastigmat in barrel. S/n ECxxx, so made in 1941. Slightly odd, the front cell is threaded externally for reverse mounting. Glass not perfect, but only $10.

I hope the other people who attended came away happier than I did.

SteveH
03-05-2006, 02:21 PM
Dan,
I agree - I wish I hadn't drove all the way up there. I went with the hopes of finding some old leaf shutters, some barrel lenses, and maybe a darkroom timer. All I saw was old canon/nikon/minolta 35mm stuff. Damn near no darkroom items at all. The couple of timers that were there, the asking prices were close to insane ($55 for an old bessler).
I left with the sense that people need to use soap when (if ?) they shower, and what I thought was a bargin 150mm Schneider enlarging lens. It looked great indoors, but upon going outside I found it to have either fungus, or element separation in the front. Anyone up for a game of hockey ?

Dan Fromm
03-05-2006, 06:22 PM
Thing is, Steve, if we don't look we can be sure we won't find. And I did find a little.

Better luck next time, and if no luck chalk it up to entertainment,

Dan

Shinnya
03-05-2006, 06:32 PM
Hi,

I did find an Ambrotype of a beautiful young lady in a excellent condition! I don't think it was a great deal or anything, but it is in a really good condition and I like it very much.

I also bought a Kodak publication "Conservation of Photographs" for $9 which was a pretty good deal to me.

I could not find a flange for Ilex #5 though. I will go next time as well.

Warmly,
Tsuyoshi

stark raving
03-08-2006, 03:46 PM
Steve -

As you know, I didn't make it there. I wish I'd known you were looking for darkroom stuff, as there is almost never any quantity of that at these shows.

Jonathan

John Jarosz
06-02-2006, 01:30 PM
Those same shows run in the Chicago area. We have two or three guys that specialize in darkroom stuff. When they show up it's a very dangerous time because they are always selling at bargain basement prices. Why they don't sell on ebay is beyond me. (I'm still mad at myself for passing on a Omega E6 (5x7),Omega cold light head, 2 good lenses, neg holders and a paper safe for $150) I screwed up.

But if any of those guys don't show up, it can be a pretty dull show.

john

Dan Fromm
06-02-2006, 01:39 PM
Funny that this thread should have come to life today.

There's another "Philadelphia" show in Trevose this Sunday (6/4) if the postcard Photorama sent me and the listing on Photorama's site are to be believed. I'll go, am not hopeful that I'll find much tempting.

TheFlyingCamera
06-02-2006, 02:20 PM
I'm thinking of coming up for this - They only do the show like this outside DC once or twice a year it looks like now. Anyone want to organize a meet-up at the show? It would be cool to meet some more of the folks from here in person.

Dan Fromm
06-02-2006, 02:35 PM
I don't feel like organizing, will be there at opening, I hope. Just another guy with trifocals, grey hair and beard. Recent haircut, so fairly trim, and not as fat as I used to be, either.

If I can find it I suppose I'll wear my Cinema Beaulieu t-shirt.

SteveH
06-02-2006, 03:40 PM
"Lazarus, Lazarus, come forth !"

Hell of a way to resurrect an old post ! Anyway, sorry guys, but I won't be making the show tomorrow, as I have to work 'till 8am tomorrow.

Jim Chinn
06-02-2006, 06:00 PM
Before Ebay these types of affairs were pure gold for trading and finding anything in any format. In Omaha we still have 2 each year but nowadays the pickings can be pretty slim unless you are looking for 35mm gear or well worn used MF kits. But I still go with the idea that I really don't know what I might need untill I see it sitting on a table. The last two bargains, a very nice Seal drymount press for 75$ and three sets of developing trays (11x14, 16x20 and 20x24) that I paid $25 for the whole lot.

One interesting development at the last one was vendors selling older versions but new in box scanners, printers and digital cameras. At the next one I hope to pick up a scanner so I can start posting some work.

Dan Fromm
06-02-2006, 06:01 PM
Steve, it is Sunday, not Saturday. And you're right, the timing is very strange.

Dan Fromm
06-04-2006, 10:46 AM
Jim, I went with low expectations.

Came home with a lens I think I can resell for enough profit, to cover admission; a lens that I've been meaning to get to try out; and a 2x3 Crown Graphic with Graflok AND 105/3.7 Ektar. I have to take the focusing panel apart to see if it was made for fresnel -- no fresnel there now -- and the lens is in a broken shutter -- all timed speeds are the same -- but the price was very very right.

So much for expectations.

stark raving
06-14-2006, 06:26 PM
Jim, I went with low expectations.

Unlike March, I made it to this show, too (didn't tell SWMBO I was going, just up and went on the way home from church........... she never noticed.) Similarly wasn't expecting much, and was pleasantly surprised by a Zeiss Contina II in good cosmetic and functional condition for the right price -- it followed me home. :rolleyes: Also saw a nice Pentax SV which I would have bought if I hadn't found the Contina.