PDA

View Full Version : The elitist print exchange?

Pages : [1] 2 3

gr82bart
03-11-2006, 07:16 AM
I have had several people tell me they don't particpate in the print exchanges because they feel the level of quality is too low for their standards. Hence, the question...

So would people particpate in a print exchange where there would be a minimum level of acceptable quality for materials? Say....

fibre based paper
mounted on archival board
8ply acid free cotton rag mat
And, add to that an acceptable print quality as well...that is, no spilled coffee or throw aways, but print processing as if your life depended on it?

Who's in?

Regards, Art.

Nige
03-11-2006, 07:28 AM
nope, not me... the whole concept makes me laugh! I've seen some stuff I wouldn't let my dog crap on in galleries, is that a guide?

argus
03-11-2006, 07:37 AM
An archivally mounted fibre print is no guarantee for a good image.

G

John Bartley
03-11-2006, 07:40 AM
I voted "no", but not because I don't like the idea. I participated in one group print exchange just when I was starting LF photographyand the idea was that I would get to see what I should be aiming for. I found out very quickly that there are folks who operate in a whole different strata. Someday I will participate again. For now .... no ... not until my photography improves drastically.

cheers

Andy K
03-11-2006, 07:42 AM
I also voted no. I am still learning the art/craft of enlarging. I only just consider myself able enough to make postcards.

df cardwell
03-11-2006, 07:46 AM
Send a picture to someone whose (work) (opinion) you (admire) (respect),
no need to make it a club.

mikeg
03-11-2006, 08:53 AM
Difficult one. It's interesting to note that in the print exchanges the 2 people who have never sent me a print have been professionals. Was my print that bad that it didn't warrant a reply?

Mike

jd callow
03-11-2006, 08:54 AM
This should be treated like any 'gift' giving -- have a desire to give and be grateful about what you receive.

David A. Goldfarb
03-11-2006, 08:57 AM
I do the print exchanges mainly for the challenge of keeping myself printing for a critical audience. If I get great prints in return--and I often do--that's a bonus.

Alex Hawley
03-11-2006, 09:05 AM
I do the print exchanges mainly for the challenge of keeping myself printing for a critical audience. If I get great prints in return--and I often do--that's a bonus.
Pretty much echo what David said. I participated in the first four print exchanges and always got excellent prints. Since then I've mostly traded with individuals.

My other reason for voting "No" in the poll is the 8-ply matt. No way, Jose'. Too expensive, too hard to cut. A very elitist requirement.

Ole
03-11-2006, 09:08 AM
If anyone who has received a print from me would have preferred it mounted, that would indicate they think it's worth mounting. I'm not going to do it - I don't mount.

I have received prints in the exchanges which I have had mounted, matted and framed, and I have received prints which reside in the ever growing stack in the spare room. Unmounted prints take up so much less space in the stack :)

jtsatterlee
03-11-2006, 09:14 AM
I voted no, because I do not think the items listed will improve the quality of the work. (yes i prefer FB over RC, but that is another debate isnt it?)

One of my biggest issues with print exchanges, and I have been involved in (here and other places) is the respect (or lack of) people give there own work:
- poorly packaged so it arrives damaged
- damaged somewhere in process and still sent (bent, wrinkled or even poorly processed)
- and my biggest issue - not even spotted

If I like an image I can mount it myself, there is no need for the print maker to do that, perhaps the image is excellent, but just not my taste. But sending out prints that are not even finished, with dust marks all over them is another thing.

Perhaps the question is how to teach the difference between a work print and a finished print?

df cardwell
03-11-2006, 09:18 AM
Please note there is an ancient distinction between the use of the word "PICTURE" vs "PRINT".

Strand and Weston made pictures, the emphasis on the "image they made", not the materials they used to make them from nor the materials on which they were mounted or presented.

For those working in the Pictorialist tradition, for whom Presentation and Materials are equally ( or more ) important to " the image", the word Print is traditionally used, seeking to link a photograph's importance to a limited edition Lithograph, serigraph, or some other " -graph" appropriate to the rare atmosphere of their salon. And we all know that a "gelatin silver print" is more valuable than a "picture".

As for Image, while it can be a little toney in use, it simply implies "less then the subject".

Marc Leest
03-11-2006, 09:57 AM
I voted yes, beacause presentation is almost as important as the print itself.
The only limitation, is one print however.

M.

Dave Miller
03-11-2006, 10:27 AM
Who decides who participates, or more importantly; doesn’t?
Whoever was idiot enough to suggest this crackpot idea should restrict their print exchanges to themselves, using only their own prints. That way they won’t risk being offended by receiving an inferior picture, or more to the point perhaps, one that illustrates the short comings in their own work.
I thought this exchange thing was about participation, learning, teaching, friendship, and just plain old fashioned fun.
Elitism is the basis of all human misery. It sucks and doesn’t belong on this forum.

By the way, I voted against.

gr82bart
03-11-2006, 10:40 AM
Whoever was idiot enough to suggest this crackpot idea should restrict their print exchanges to themselves, using only their own prints.So far that's what they're doing. They are the ones not participating and when I asked them why? This 'quality' thing was the answer I got. There are many, many more than what the poll is indicating so far. It's the reason for me starting this thread.

Regards, Art.

avandesande
03-11-2006, 10:57 AM
"I don't want to be a member of any club that would have me as a member"--was that groucho marx?

jd callow
03-11-2006, 11:22 AM
What Dave said...

Claire Senft
03-11-2006, 12:24 PM
I want to commend Nige for having high standards. Any dog worth owning should have a platinum poopy bag.

Dave Miller
03-11-2006, 12:32 PM
What Mrcallow said.