PDA

View Full Version : Northern Michigan Gathering - June?

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Dan Henderson
05-03-2006, 05:42 PM
I'm very interested in participating, and right now either weekend will work.

bill schwab
05-03-2006, 06:46 PM
Wow Joe! I can't wait to see this rig in action. That is a great portrait. I know right where you are. If only I had headed up to the beach on Sunday! I've seen a lot of crazy things there, but this takes the cake.

I was happy to see the homested made it through the winter, so I am now getting the finishing plans together to send out to everyone about the gathering.

Stay Tuned...

Bill

wildbill
05-03-2006, 07:34 PM
I went to the Cross Village area last week and took my new portable darkroom rig with me on a test run. There are a few bugs to work out of it, but I should be up and running full-tilt by the time June rolls around.

Here's a wetplate image on a full-plate enamaled aluminum sheet I exposed Sunday afternoon a few miles north of Cross Village on the dunes of a county park along Lake Michigan:

http://my.net-link.net/~jsmigiel/images/technical/collodion/ken_a01.jpg

And a picture of the darktent and my 11x14:

http://my.net-link.net/~jsmigiel/images/technical/collodion/darktent/Tent010506a72.jpg

More pics of the darktent (http://my.net-link.net/~jsmigiel/html/darktent.htm) .

Looking forward to the June get-together and to meeting everyone.

Joe
I've done a bit of snowboarding on that hill.

bill schwab
05-13-2006, 06:13 PM
OK everyone. I have settled on the second choice for weekends. June 23rd to the 25th. It has been a nice weekend in the past and is less crowded in the sweet spots being only 2 weeks before the 4th. It also looks as though many that would like to come can do either one. Sorry to anyone this leaves out, but I hope to do it again.

I'm sorry to leave this hanging for so long, but a couple travel prospects have been being kicked around and I thought I might be going to visit Winter in New Zealand around then, but that is still being looked into and I didn't want to leave you all in the lurch. I am looking forward to this.

I have been very busy, but will try to get a website up soon with info on the gathering... maps, places to stay, etc. I'll post the URL soon. Just wanted to let everyone know the dates.

Think warm... and NO RAIN!! I hope everyone can make it up.

Bill

Jerry Basierbe
05-13-2006, 06:18 PM
Sounds good Bill. I'm looking forward to getting up there too.

Jerry

bill schwab
05-13-2006, 07:38 PM
Great Jerry... the more the merrier.

mjs
05-16-2006, 03:12 PM
I'm planning on being there. I'll need a place to plop a tent. Thanks for organizing this, it's starting to look like one of the highlights of summer for me!

mjs

bill schwab
05-16-2006, 03:17 PM
I'll need a place to plop a tent.Plenty of room for that! Looking forward to meeting you.

Bill

jp80874
05-19-2006, 02:40 PM
I would truly love to come but I am afraid that if I broached the subject with my wife, she would cut off my arm and beat me to death with it. :D

Dinesh,

Find an enticement that will make her wish to go on the great adventure. You are in the flower incentive business after all.

After forty years in sales I am still delighted and amazed at what motivates people, especially those you think you know. I casually approached the trip at breakfast today with my wife who likes to sketch and paint water color landscapes that I am trying to photograph. I mentioned the excitement of a short ride (400 miles one way) to meet a bunch of photographers gnashing their teeth in the cold amongst the Great Northern Mosquitoes. She who does amaze, responded, "how many art museums would we drive by?

Help me here Bill. Have I have missed any. You go west from Cleveland to the Toledo Art Museum which is showing “The Essence of Laughter: Satire through the Ages, Works on Paper and Toledo’s Satirist: Pulitzer Prize Winner cartoonist Nick Anderson.”

You turn right and go north to Ann Arbor. The U of M is showing "Rethinking the Photographic Image: The Best of Photography from the George Eastman House Collection" In the Painting gallery, "European and American Art: 1700-1900 - portraits by Oudry, Perronneau and Reynolds, as well as later portraits by Couture and Sandys; landscape and genre paintings by Whistler, Stevens, Monet, Pissarro and Bouguereau; and an group of works by Louis Comfort Tiffany "

North to East Lansing , the Kresge Museum at Michigan State and another of her favorites, “The collection of ancient and Egyptian art at the Kresge Art Museum is small yet diverse.”

If we stay up north long enough the Ansel Adams exhibit opens in Toledo on June 30th for the return drive.

I let you know how it plays tonight.

John Powers

As a foot note, last year we drove a thousand miles to the Maine Photo Workshops and a water color workshop in Rockland. It took us three days, three museums and six bookstores. Somebody else did it in fifteen hours taking naps in rest stops.

bill schwab
05-20-2006, 03:30 PM
...turn right and go north to Ann Arbor. The U of M is showing "Rethinking the Photographic Image: The Best of Photography from the George Eastman House John,

This is perhaps the best part. I urge anyone coming up that way to stop and see this show. I have now been twice and it got better the second time. Pretty much as I remember the display at the Eastman House when I was last there several years ago. A truly great representation from the history of photography.

My wife tells me you purchased a frame... too kind. I only hope you like the thing. Exciting that you are starting into 7x17. We started building the frames in that format to help push me to get into the format as well!

Hope you can make it up. There is certainly a lot of beautiful landscape for you and your wife to scout. There is also Mackinaw Island close by for those that may want to go off on their own. Lots to photograph there... and no cars to deal with. Only bikes and horses. Please don't be expecting anything too formal at my place though. As I have said, it will be a rustic experience and there won't be any real schedule to speak of. I pretty much plan to act as a guide for those that wish to tag along and to point those that don't into some interesting directions. There are so many possibilities that I could never cover them all in a weekend. There will be a couple things planned, including a dinner at the famous Legs for those wanting to attend, but it will be basically a loose affair using my place as base.

Website almost ready... It'll have maps, directions, places to stay, etc.

Bill

smieglitz
05-20-2006, 07:54 PM
It was a beautimous sunny day in SW Michigan today so I took the darktent out again and tried some new wetplate chemistry. Everything worked surprisingly well today so I'm hoping that will continue on when the gathering happens in June. Hopefully all the bugs have been worked out.

Here's a quarter-plate positive wetplate collodion image today on enamaled aluminum. That is me in front of the darktent on location. Exposure was 1 second about f/8 with a Deardorff 5x7 and 180 Rodenstock lens. Looks like the fogging and contrast problems were resolved today.

http://my.net-link.net/~jsmigiel/images/technical/collodion/me_tent_052006.jpg

I'm leaving midweek to attend a wetplate workshop in NY with John Coffer. Should be a very interesting time learning from the master.

Joe

bill schwab
05-20-2006, 08:00 PM
I'm leaving midweek to attend a wetplate workshop in NY with John Coffer. Should be a very interesting time learning from the master.
Nice portrait Joe!

I got a flyer on the Coffer workshop with an order from Artcraft. Looks like it will be a great time. Have fun at "Camp Tintype"! Please post afterward with a report.

Bill

bill schwab
05-22-2006, 02:31 PM
Hello All,

At last I have the Website up and running that will give information and RSVP details to those planning to attend this gathering near Cross Village, Michigan.

This LINK (http://www.northlightworkshops.com/workshops/apug_2006.html) will take you to the Website. To be able to read the info package you will required to have Adobe Acrobat Reader.

I will also be PM-ing everyone who took the poll and expressed interest with this information.

Looking forward to meeting you all,

Bill

bill schwab
06-04-2006, 10:51 PM
Bring Bug Spray!

I just got back from shooting at the beach where I was nearly carried away by mosquitos. I was covered in Deet, but a few of the damn things got to me anyway. It is a very quiet night and the sound of them buzzing was pretty amazing.

Anyway... those of you coming do not forget the good stuff.. spray that is. Here at the house in the woods there is hardly a skeeter, but anywhere near the water and you will be food.

Bill

Lopaka
06-05-2006, 08:49 PM
Bring Bug Spray!

but anywhere near the water and you will be food.

Bill

But only during prime shooting hours... :D

Bill,
Looks like a fun time. Unfortunately, I find I have a conflict that weekend with a family function - would have loved to come. Have to catch up with you guys another time.

Have a great time - and post some snaps!

Regards,
Bob

Hmmm....Legs Inn...SMACZNEGO!!!

bill schwab
06-13-2006, 09:53 PM
Hello All,

A few last minute things will be in the mail to all who have said they are coming. By now you should have all had directions either via online download or snail mail package. Anyone who still doesn't know where they are going, give me a PM and I will make sure you get the maps. More info can be found HERE (http://www.northlightworkshops.com/). It looks as though there might be upwards of 12 of us planning to come. There may be a couple last minute folks as well. I'm trying to get my friend and dealer Tom Halsted to come along as well and bring a selection of his gallery's work. A few nice Westons, Evans', etc, might be inspirational. That is a slim chance, but he has expressed interest in coming and will do so if he can.

A couple of you have asked about a meeting time. Sorry... forgot that one. I'd say get there whenever you can. I will be there Thursday doing a few last minute things, so anyone arriving early should feel free to stop by. As for the rest, try to get there by Friday 7PM or so, otherwise we'll be at the beach or other shooting destinations for late light, sunset and twilight. On nights when I shoot I am usually back at the camp by 10 - 10:30PM. Keep in mind that we are almost at Solstice and it will be light past 10PM.

Those of you who plan to arrive on Saturday... anytime is good. I assume we'll be around camp in the late morning/early afternoon. I have dinner at the Legs Inn scheduled for those that want to attend at around 5PM so we can be done by the time of the good light. After shooting it will be back to the camp for a fire.

As I said earlier, I will be sending another email to all soon detailing any last minute things. Looking forward to meeting all of you!

Bill

bill schwab
06-20-2006, 04:45 PM
Hello All,

I've had several last minute emails looking to see if the gathering is still on this weekend.

Yes... It is still on. Anyone that doesn't know where they're going let me know via PM.

See you there.

Bill

smieglitz
06-21-2006, 11:49 AM
I'm already on my way and within an hour of the place. I plan to be there Friday afternoon. Weather report looks excellent with sunny days in the mid-70s.

MJS don't forget the contraband...

Joe

mjs
06-21-2006, 02:59 PM
No fears, Joe. Found a beautiful albino but, alas, no leopard. Doesn't work without the leopard, so I guess it'll be just me. ;(

mjs

bill schwab
06-25-2006, 09:48 PM
Success! Thank you all for coming! It was a great weekend and I look forward to seeing everyone's photos from the gathering. Just Joe and I are left packing up the place. Back up to the campfire soon for more conversation... we miss you all already!

Thanks Again!

Bill

PS... There are a couple extra chairs at the fire pit, anyone missing theirs?