PDA

View Full Version : Cirkut list. (another one???)

Pages : 1 [2]

nze
04-14-2006, 07:03 AM
hi all

I use to wrok with a panoram kodak and I will buy a alvista 5 soon . can someone give me the diffeent speed vailable with this camera.

jamie young
04-14-2006, 07:34 AM
Hi Christian I am starting to shoot with some Al- Vistas and have that information, at least as given by the factory. You could use that as a starting point, but the alvista's gear train tends to be a little variable. They weren't as well made as the cirkuts. I'm planning on going out with A 7 F, 5-B AND BABY AL VISTA this weekend. I went out about 6 weeks ago shot a photo with my 7F, which then broke. The spring came off the shaft, and I had to thread a 1-72 screw into the shaft and reattach it. I've done a lot more things to the cameras as well. I've started to build a web section on Al-Vistas, but haven't done much yet. I'll put that info on the Al Vista section. I took my web site down and am rebuilding it completely, so it's pretty funky right now.Most of my cirkut pages are down, etc. I'll let you know on this thread, but my web address is www.jamieyoungphoto.com
and the al vista pages start at http://www.jamieyoungphoto.com/alvistacameras1.html
Best, Jamie

Allen Friday
04-14-2006, 11:43 AM
I have two cirkuts, a #5 and a #10. Both are working, but need a little work, which I have been doing over the last four months. I also have a Hulcerama 10, which is a 1970s update of the cirkut 10.

To date, I have made test negs with each camera, but have not gotten to the point of printing final prints from the negs. I started doing platinum prints for the majority of my work last year. My goal is to do platinum panos with the cameras.

I will post photos, once I have the bugs worked out and get acceptable quality prints.

Allen Friday

jamie young
04-14-2006, 09:46 PM
Christian
I posted info on the al vistas here
http://www.jamieyoungphoto.com/Using%20alvista%20cameras.html
Jamie Young

nze
04-15-2006, 03:51 AM
Great information Jamie

Did you ever try to make pultiple exposure on the same part of film . I mean expose 3 to 10 time witht he 1/2 exposure to get greater exposure time. My goal is to make night photography with it.

Or may be is it possible to make a new fan to obtain longer exposure?

regards

jamie young
04-15-2006, 10:20 AM
You would have to try it. I don't know. I think it would be hard to get enough exposure as the lenses are slow and fast fim might require a special order.
You'd want 400 iso film and then need to push it. The camera mechanisms tend to be cheap, and you would need one thats working very smoothly to take a bigger homemade fan. I have a whole bunch of the cameras and the smoothness of the swing is pretty variable. I have to admit that a lot of mine were "bargains, and in fairly bad shape. I've been having fun rebuilding them. Must be an ocd kind of thing. I still need to figure out out to tune up the clockwork better. I think it's going to be a challgenge to do night photography, but maybe other people on the forum have some ideas.
A person in the Chicago area has been shooting with homemade swing lense cameras for a long time, and might have some solutions to this. His name is Tom Yanul, and his web site can probably be found by a web search.
Jamie

aaprlore
12-01-2008, 03:27 PM
1.) I just got a Cirkut #8 two weeks ago. It was owned by a doctor in MI - probably as a collector's item. Looks like it was offered back in July and again on eBay last month. I was one of 26 bidding, and given the price a #6 went for just a few weeks prior, was surprised to get it.

2.) Nope - no services offered.

3.) I'm NOT a collector, and hope to be a user? The Cirkut needs work just to be able to take a picture - and I have to find film. It is also missing the original film holders (and four gears), so I can't make non pano images either.

4.) I have a website devoted to the history of Los Angeles (my home town) using the detective fiction author Raymond Chandler as a hook. I have one scanned vintage Cirkut image of downtown LA from 1924 posted online. I have a second vintage Cirkut image from 1916 of the Mack Sennett Studio in Edendale that I "collected" but don't have online yet. I have a couple of stitched pans taken with my Canon 30D online. One was taken from atop Mt. Lowe about three years ago. The once yearly Mt. Lowe car caravan is coming up on Saturday 12/6/08 and I'll be making a HD video with a camcorder mounted in the car of the ride up & down the trolly trackbed, and take more panos with the Canon of the LA basin. Hopefully next year I can do it with the Cirkut.

http://raymondchandler.com

5.) The Cirkut has an original T & R lens with a sticky Betax shutter. There are some marks on the front lens element and possibly some edge separation as well. The bellows exterior looks good but there are a couple of bad folds and light leaks. The eye piece on the side of the lens bracket has a cracked element and the ground glass is scratched. The lens board jams when trying to raise it. The tripod is OK, and the geared top seems to rotate OK. The motor winds and runs. Lots of fun work ahead! Haven't decided yet whether to fully restore or just to get it in working condition and leave it at that.

DougGrosjean
12-02-2008, 09:01 AM
I'll bite.

1. I have just one Cirkut. It's a 1919 #10, formerly owned by Kenneth Snelson from the 1940s to when I bought it, in July 2008, from Snelson.

2. No, no services.

3. Cirkuts, only since my purchase in July 2008. But started shooting pans in 2006 with a 35mm Widelux, then 2007 bought a Kodak Panoram. As a result of those practice cameras, plus my background in mechanical design / drafting, many of the concepts of shooting with a Cirkut have come easy to me.

I'm a user. I didn't buy it to have it sit on a shelf. My second group photo with it was 1,000 people; and the experience was such that I can't wait to do something similar again. It's not just the camera - the planning, composing, directing; that go into such a shot.... all of that is huge fun for me. I wish I could figure out a way to work steadily with it, but since I've only had it for 4 months, and didn't expect to produce anything salable for 6-12 months, I don't have a biz plan in place, or a studio. For now, my Cirkut shooting is partly OJT. But I also am following up leads on shooting local groups, reunions, etc.

4. I personally don't have any Cirkut pics online. But my most recent Cirkut photo (second Cirkut group photo, 25th anniversary of a motorcycle apparel company, about my 10th Cirkut photo ever) is online. It was turned into a poster, and is available here (I love the ad copy on it):

http://www.aerostich.com/product.php?productid=20803

Here's a pic to give you a rough idea of the outcome of that group shot:

http://www.boringrally.com/files/vbr/panoramic/660_1hb_fadeBW.jpg

5. Misc. other.....

My #10 was in good mechanical shape when I bought it, so it hasn't needed anything. Lens has separation, so images are a litle soft, but it's fine for where I'm at on the learning curve, for now. A sharp lens, and gears to run it properly, are on my wish list. In due time, in due time...

I can reliably produce a decent b/w negative with my Cirkut. I've got a roll of photo paper, but haven't had time to make a contact printing frame for it. I figure just a flat bit of material, about 5' long, with ledge on it to line the paper, neg, and glass up on... should do it.

So far I've been scanning my negs and stitching them in PS, in order to print them.

Snelson's last words to me were that I'd have a lot of fun with the Cirkut, that it would make me re-think everything that I think I know about photography. That's been the most accurate forecast I've heard. But I enjoy learning, so I'm enjoying the process.

jamie young
12-02-2008, 01:53 PM
For printing one can just use a cheap solid core panel or door and glue black felt to it. A piece of 1/4" glass to flatten the neg against the paper, and you're good to go. A light bulb is all you need for exposure

aaprlore
12-03-2008, 01:45 PM
Sorry about posting the wrong URL - I bought a lot of domains for Raymond Chandler, but not .com. Use http://raymondchandler.info (or .biz, .tv, .org, .us). Thanks.