PDA

View Full Version : Meeting Place for APUG group for MidAt

Pages : 1 [2]

wfe
03-22-2006, 04:26 PM
Baltimore is a long ride for me so if we plan it in advance and make a day out it I'm in. SteveH and I could also probably hook up and car pool.

TheFlyingCamera
03-22-2006, 04:36 PM
How about either the weekend of the 8th/9th or the 15/16th of April? Which works better for folks, Saturday or Sunday? We could meet up around the Meyerhoff Symphony Hall somewhere (there is a parking garage in that area IIRC), and hit the streets with the cameras. We could carpool up to Druid Hill Park, so the parking problem en route through the city is less of an issue. That would also put us within striking distance of dining options in Mount Vernon at mid-day when the light sucks. Then we could wander around Mount Vernon in the afternoon, and adjourn to the Inner Harbor or Fells Point for dinner or go our merry ways as traffic and schedules require.

wfe
03-22-2006, 04:42 PM
April 1st and 8th are the two dates I currently have other committments.

Christopher Walrath
03-22-2006, 06:40 PM
I may not be able to be there in April. Work 8th and 15th and begged away for the Cape on the 29th. Might be pushin it a bit with the wifey. But don't hold up for me. There will be others.

TheFlyingCamera
03-22-2006, 08:04 PM
I may not be able to be there in April. Work 8th and 15th and begged away for the Cape on the 29th. Might be pushin it a bit with the wifey. But don't hold up for me. There will be others.

I just realized that the 16th is Easter Sunday. Maybe we should shoot for either the 22nd or go for the first weekend in May.

mtnbkr
03-22-2006, 10:45 PM
The 22nd or the 1st weekend in may works better for me.

Chris

SteveH
03-22-2006, 11:40 PM
April 22nd I can't make it, as I have a prior commitment to attend to. However, you all are more than welcome to join me:

http://www.races2run.com/2006_Details/04-2006details.htm#042206-wstw

Bill ? :D

Things like this, I have found, are best planned well in advance. Perhaps the 2nd or 3rd week of May ?

TheFlyingCamera
03-23-2006, 05:21 PM
Sounds like 1st weekend in May is pretty good for most people. Why dont we sayMay 6, meet in Baltimore, noon-ish outside Myerhoff Symphony Hall?

this is the closest public parking garage.

http://maps.citysearch.com/location/4959781? -

1311 Cathedral St Baltimore MD 21201-5734

You may be able to find parking on the street in the area - however tempted you might be to park in the CVS lot across the street, do NOT. They tow aggressively. We can meet for lunch, do a print viewing, and then when the light improves, head out to shoot some photos. Dining options - nearby, there is Brewer's Art (1106 N Charles Street - nice brew pub (white tablecloths)), City Cafe (1001 Cathedral - generic cafe/diner type food), or Tyson Place (227 W Chase Street- American cuisine).

Flauvius
03-23-2006, 10:39 PM
Rotating Meeting Locations.

Why not have a person designated to "scope out" locations for one shot a year in the following locations: South Jersey, Philadelphia, Wilmington, Harve de Grace, Baltimore, and York-Lancaster? In addition, we could have a spring and fall main dinner meeting where everyone would likely attend, while still offering the opportunity to convenient local photographic outings from which everyone could pick and chose.

Also, we need to take count of what size format our members shoot and whether they are b&w or color shooters. In this regard, it does not make sense for large format shooters to walk the streets of Baltimore with 35mm shooters.

For those who have not meet me, my screen name is "Flauvius" and my real name is Robert J. Triffin. I am in Drexel Hill, PA; a suburb of Philadelphia. Although I like to shoot 8x10 and 4x5, I occasionally shoot both b&w and color in 35mm.

Lastly, please do not forget that some of us will be away the first week in May at the APUG Toronto conference.

Regards,

Flauvius
RJTRIFFIN@RCN.COM

TheFlyingCamera
03-24-2006, 06:28 AM
Rotating Meeting Locations.

Why not have a person designated to "scope out" locations for one shot a year in the following locations: South Jersey, Philadelphia, Wilmington, Harve de Grace, Baltimore, and York-Lancaster? In addition, we could have a spring and fall main dinner meeting where everyone would likely attend, while still offering the opportunity to convenient local photographic outings from which everyone could pick and chose.

Also, we need to take count of what size format our members shoot and whether they are b&w or color shooters. In this regard, it does not make sense for large format shooters to walk the streets of Baltimore with 35mm shooters.

For those who have not meet me, my screen name is "Flauvius" and my real name is Robert J. Triffin. I am in Drexel Hill, PA; a suburb of Philadelphia. Although I like to shoot 8x10 and 4x5, I occasionally shoot both b&w and color in 35mm.

Lastly, please do not forget that some of us will be away the first week in May at the APUG Toronto conference.

Regards,

Flauvius
RJTRIFFIN@RCN.COM

As has been said before, you can't please them all... not everyone will be able to make it to any given event. I think at this point it is more important to get an event on the calendar and get anyone who can show up to do so. I don't know about anyone else here, but I think at least for now it would be better not to formalize this too much - we don't need committees and officers and designated 'scouters'. Anyone who wants to chime in with a location suggestion can feel free to do so, and if they want to put in the effort to plan a meet, they should feel free to post it to the forum.

TheFlyingCamera
04-05-2006, 02:43 PM
Just thinking of more things to see/places to go in Baltimore, we can also take in Cylburn Arboretum - it is a 176 acre park centered around an 1880s victorian mansion. The arboretum is run in a public/private partnership to showcase and preserve american horticultual traditions. There are acres of greenhouses, and displays of many kinds of gardens, featuring new and antique varietals. Cylburn is at least a half-day excursion in itself.

JamesG
04-06-2006, 01:41 PM
I would be interested in coming to the party. I'll keep active in this thread.

James

TheFlyingCamera
04-06-2006, 03:48 PM
James- welcome to the Mid-Atlantic APUG cluster! :D

If you can make it to DC next weekend, on Saturday we're doing a tour of the new photography show at the National Gallery, then hitting a neighborhood eatery for lunch and a portfolio show-and-tell.

JamesG
04-06-2006, 08:24 PM
Let me have the details and I'll see what I can do.

TheFlyingCamera
04-06-2006, 09:18 PM
There's another thread with the details, but the short version is that we're meeting inside the rotunda of the West Wing of the National Gallery of Art at 10:30. Bring some of your prints to show if you like, over lunch.

TheFlyingCamera
04-19-2006, 01:45 PM
Well, folks, the May 6th date is fast approaching. I'm going to hit B'more this weekend to do a dry run, map an itinerary and schedule, and I'll post it here next week. As an incentive to get folks to show, if anyone is interested in trying the new Ilford Warmtone and Cooltone developers, I will bring 3 bottles of each. First come, first served on the paper developer, 1 bottle of each per person max.

TheFlyingCamera
04-23-2006, 02:30 PM
The dry run was a great success. There's enough material to work with between Druid Hill Park and Cylburn Arboretum, which is not far from the park, that we could kill an entire day just there. Jim Shanesy, Diwan Bhathal and I spent the morning shooting at Druid Hill Park. There's a victorian Conservatory in the park, which has some fantastic plants, including a massive Agave plant in the desert conservatory. They have an Orchid room, great for folks into macro or color, and a formal garden outside. Good news for the large format and macro crowd- the Conservatory permits tripods inside. It is also rarely busy, so you don't have to worry too much about the crowds getting in your way or tripping over your tripod.

Within a very short walk from the Conservatory there are several pavilions, monuments to William Wallace and Christopher Columbus, and the lake. The lake has a folly at one end (now closed for safety reasons) made to look like a moorish castle tower, and a stone pumphouse in the middle of the lake with cast iron railings. I'll post some scans when I get some prints made.

Cylburn Arboretum is worth an entire day in itself. The Arboretum is 178 acres of protected parkland in Baltimore City. There is the mansion itself, which is quite photogenic. The mansion grounds have numerous spots worthy of attention - a formal garden, marble lion statues, and acres of greenhouses. There are various trails through the woods marked for the species of trees and other plantlife that can be found. We were fortunate to have some fantastic fog rolling through the grounds that day, and the property lent itself very well to photographing in the fog. I'll have alternate sites mapped out for folks who want to stick to more urban/architectural subjects.

c6h6o3
04-23-2006, 02:42 PM
The dry run was a great success.

If I can come away as I did with at least a half dozen keeper images from such a "dry run", just think how well I'll do during the real thing!