PDA

View Full Version : My new baby! & a new forum :)

Pages : 1 [2]

Gay Larson
03-29-2006, 09:20 PM
Beautiful, is this for the "Let's all shoot with one camera" forum??? Maybe not. Glad you got it.

Drew B.
03-29-2006, 09:32 PM
oh wait...while I wipe the drool from my mouth.... That is one fantastic piece of equipment! Its like the 57 T-bird of cameras!

Curt
03-29-2006, 11:37 PM
Sean, that's one nice camera, what kind of forum are you considering, is it a field camera, folding wooden like the Kodak 2D, clamshell etc? I have two Seneca's and Two Kodak 2D's and a 4x5 folding field, clamshell type. They are close to a hundred years old and are refinished to the original perfection. I am gong to be making a wood 11x14 with my son and like the wood cameras a lot. It will be like the Deardorff in overall design with some modifications of our own. Again Deardorff is the quality of choice, enjoy!

Curt

Rob Skeoch
04-02-2006, 11:42 AM
Hi Sean,
You could have the camera shipped to my place just out side of Toronto and I'll bring it to the Conference. I'll be having a LF booth at the conference.
-Rob Skeoch

Sean
04-02-2006, 03:29 PM
Hi Sean,
You could have the camera shipped to my place just out side of Toronto and I'll bring it to the Conference. I'll be having a LF booth at the conference.
-Rob Skeoch
Thanks Rob but it already shipped days ago, I'll have access to it in SC before I head to the conference so can bring it along.

Curt
04-02-2006, 04:59 PM
Sean, I can't find the forum "My new Baby" anywhere!
Did you get a collection of fine Dagors to go with it? The bellows looks shinny, is it new and what is it made of, it sure looks nice. Do you think it was a one owner camera? It looks so new.

Curt
04-02-2006, 05:03 PM
If you hurry you can get the matching part for your collection.

http://cgi.ebay.com/5-X-7-DEARDORFF_W0QQitemZ7603524036QQcategoryZ15247QQrdZ 1QQcmdZViewItem

Ole
04-03-2006, 08:41 AM
Nice camera!

Nice forum too, by the way - most of my cameras will fit right in!

Sean
04-03-2006, 04:00 PM
Sean, I can't find the forum "My new Baby" anywhere!
Did you get a collection of fine Dagors to go with it? The bellows looks shinny, is it new and what is it made of, it sure looks nice. Do you think it was a one owner camera? It looks so new.

No Dagors for now :)
The bellows does look like a new leather bellows but maybe it's the original and well looked after. I might contact the previous owner for more details.

wfwhitaker
04-03-2006, 07:53 PM
Not bad for a guy who just quit his job!

David
04-03-2006, 08:58 PM
But can you fit a digital back on it?

Sean
04-03-2006, 09:17 PM
Not bad for a guy who just quit his job!
All reason goes out the window when Gear Acquisition Syndrome kicks in..

Photo Engineer
04-03-2006, 09:20 PM
GAS?

PE

sanking
04-04-2006, 08:09 AM
I thought I would not only show off my new plate camera but also decided to create a new forum for these types of cameras as well. I eyed this camera on ebay for a week and was up till midnight waiting to pounce on the final bid (thanks to Jeremy for the tip off!). It is a Thornton Pickard Imperial Triple Extension Half Plate. I did not think I would get it so was ready for dissapointment but won out in the last 3 seconds. I am not a huge collector of cameras but do have a few on proud display around the house. This was a double win for me since the camera is a 100yr old pristine and beautiful collectible but it's also 100% usable and ready for work. I plan to do mostly half plate ambrotype portraits with this cam, and use my 8x10 for typical field work. The cam is being shipped to the US and I'll pick it up there before I head to the conference. :D

Do you have a tripod for the camera. The Thornton Pickhard has a round hole that fits over a tripod mount. If you don't have a tripod for it you will have to rig up some type of adaptor to allow you to use it with modern tripod heads.

I have one of these cameras and the tripod problem, plus the fact that I don't have any holders, has relegated it to a display piece. But it is certainly a very elegant design, and very light considering the big bellows draw.

Sandy

Sean
04-04-2006, 04:25 PM
Do you have a tripod for the camera. The Thornton Pickhard has a round hole that fits over a tripod mount. If you don't have a tripod for it you will have to rig up some type of adaptor to allow you to use it with modern tripod heads.

I have one of these cameras and the tripod problem, plus the fact that I don't have any holders, has relegated it to a display piece. But it is certainly a very elegant design, and very light considering the big bellows draw.

Sandy
Hi Sandy,

A NZ member sent me a link to one of these tripods on the NZ auction site (NZ's version of ebay), it closes tomorrow and has met reserve at $25.00 so fingers crossed!

Mark Layne
04-04-2006, 09:15 PM
I bid that camera up quite a way but I was really lusting after a Zeiss Tropica
so abandoned the idea.
I'm really glad you got it, it's the nicest TP I've seen on sale and great format too. Hope you'll let us see it in Toronto
Mark

andrewfrith
04-05-2006, 12:19 AM
Cant wait to see your plates sean!!
thanx for the new forum area too.

-andrew