PDA

View Full Version : Sinar or rail hybrid ULF

Pages : 1 [2]

roodpe
04-03-2006, 09:27 AM
Just curious about this as I haven't had the opportunity to attend Michael and Paula's workshop and didn't have my camera there when I did visit them. Thanks.

David,

When I took Michael and Paula's workshop, there was a gentlemen who had a korona rear frame mounted on a sinar P system. I believe it was either 8x20 or 12x20. This was several years back. I just assumed it was you since your description was nearly identical to his camera. Sorry for he confusion.

Peter

Mike A
04-03-2006, 09:34 AM
It seems everyone adding info here are knowledgable Sinar system users, so let me ask this. On my ebay hunt what should I be looking for when building a 11x14 system?

For carriers is there a special 8x10 carrier? or are the F Line, P and P2 carriers standardized to carry 4x5 and 8x10 standards?

I think starting with the carriers is a good place to begin building, or should I begin buy having the back made?

Mike

roodpe
04-03-2006, 10:16 AM
A hybrid system that uses a very heavy back mated to a sinar system can be seen at:

http://www.cliffordross.com/R1/R1-shoot-5.html

Peter

jp80874
04-03-2006, 04:16 PM
Richard and Kerry,

Even though Richard Ritter is working on his own 10 pound 7x17 you have had him make Sinar and Arca conversions. Could you discuss why you have made this choice? Could you give your impressions of why RR has taken time away from his project to work on what to an outsider seems like a competing version?

I am looking for a light weight 7x17 for landscape work that I can carry in my baby jogger when I am not shooting my 8 pound Phillips 8x10 Advantage. Unfortunately we were fighting an insurance claim while Dick Phillips still had 7x17s. Now Dick Phillips' 7x17 cameras are sold and I need to look elsewhere. All ideas welcome.

Thank you for your thoughts.

John Powers

ReallyBigCameras
04-03-2006, 04:56 PM
Richard and Kerry,

Even though Richard Ritter is working on his own 10 pound 7x17 you have had him make Sinar and Arca conversions. Could you discuss why you have made this choice? Could you give your impressions of why RR has taken time away from his project to work on what to an outsider seems like a competing version?

John,

A large part of Richard's business is camera repair and custom fabrication. Richard has always been a great resource for helping large format photographers with their specialized needs. Hopefully, this won't change once Richard's own cameras hit the market. He's a unique resource and without his skills the LF community wouldn't be the same.

Just to be clear, Richard is not making a conversion kit for me. He is simply supplying the 7x17 back - which will use the same components as the one he is making for his own camera. I am making/assembling the rest of the parts.

As to why I wanted a conversion rather than one of Richard's new cameras (or any other current 7x17 camera), it was a personal choice. I have previously made a similar 4x10 conversion for my ARCA-SWISS camera and have been extremely pleased with the way it turned out. When I started considering the 7x17 format, my first instinct was to make a super-sized version of my 4x10. Given that I already own a whole slew of ARCA-SWISS components, it seemed like a natural progression to me. I already had 1/2 the camera - and lens boards and other ARCA-SWISS accessories. So, it was also the most cost effective solution for me. Since I am used to using ARCA-SWISS cameras in 4x5 and 4x10, there will be a lot less of a learning curve with my new 7x17. All the controls are in the same old familiar locations. So, I won't have to spend time getting comfortable with a new camera.

Compared to Richard's camera, mine will be a couple pounds heavier and have a shorter maximum bellows extension. However, mine will have features like self-arresting geared front rise and geared front axis tilt not present on Richard's camera. I was able to fine tune the design of my camera to meet my specific needs. I selected the features I wanted and matched the min/max extension to the lenses I plan to use with the camera. It's a one-of-a-kind solution that best matches my own personal needs - just like my 4x10 Lotus/ARCA-SWISS hybrid.

I am looking for a light weight 7x17 for landscape work that I can carry in my baby jogger when I am not shooting my 8 pound Phillips 8x10 Advantage. Unfortunately we were fighting an insurance claim while Dick Phillips still had 7x17s. Now Dick Phillips' 7x17 cameras are sold and I need to look elsewhere. All ideas welcome.

If I was buying new, and didn't already have a very complete ARCA-SWISS system, I would definitely consider Richard's new camera. It will be one of the ligthest (perhaps THE lightest) 7x17 on the market. It will also be the least expensive new 7x17 available. For comparison, it will cost hundreds less than the Shen-Hao 7x17, weigh over three pounds less, and have a 50% longer maximum extension.

Kerry

jp80874
04-03-2006, 05:04 PM
Kerry,

Thank you for such a detailed and complete answer. One of the reasons I also enjoy your articles and have learned so much from your lens references.

John Powers

ReallyBigCameras
04-03-2006, 05:09 PM
Kerry,

Thank you for such a detailed and complete answer. One of the reasons I also enjoy your articles and have learned so much from your lens references.

John Powers

John,

No problem. Maybe I'll write an article on my 7x17 ARCA-SWISS camera once it's done and I've had a chance to use it.

Kerry

jp80874
04-03-2006, 05:24 PM
John,

No problem. Maybe I'll write an article on my 7x17 ARCA-SWISS camera once it's done and I've had a chance to use it.

Kerry

The first vote for it.

John Powers

Richard Wasserman
04-03-2006, 07:49 PM
My reasons for having Richard Ritter adapt a 7x17 to my Sinar are much like Kerry's. I already use a 4x5 Sinar Norma and had many of the bits and pieces for the new camera. Plus, I was able to purchase an 8x10 Sinar very cheaply. That combined with Richard's reasonable charge for his work has enabled me to get into 7x17 at a relatively low cost. Now if the camera would only arrive...

Richard Wasserman

jp80874
04-03-2006, 10:11 PM
My reasons for having Richard Ritter adapt a 7x17 to my Sinar are much like Kerry's. I already use a 4x5 Sinar Norma and had many of the bits and pieces for the new camera. Plus, I was able to purchase an 8x10 Sinar very cheaply. That combined with Richard's reasonable charge for his work has enabled me to get into 7x17 at a relatively low cost. Now if the camera would only arrive...

Richard Wasserman

Richard,

I have a late 8x10 Sinar P with metering back that I was building up as a macro camera; 60" bellows, four standards, 305mm G Claron, on a Durst 138S stand. On or off line would you mind talking about what would be needed to change to or add 7x17?

Thank you,

John Powers

Mike A
04-09-2006, 11:07 AM
I'm in the process of doing daily feebay searches for P/P2 or C carriers, some sellers list the carriers as 8x10, some do not.

Could some one tell me if there is a difference between an 8x10 carrier and the other smaller (4x5, 5x7) carriers? From the little research I've done the 8x10 carrier is suppose to be beefier. Is there a way to tell the 8x10 from the smaller carriers

I asked this earlier in the thread but did not read an answer regarding the above question.
Mike

roodpe
04-09-2006, 12:22 PM
Could some one tell me if there is a difference between an 8x10 carrier and the other smaller (4x5, 5x7) carriers? From the little research I've done the 8x10 carrier is suppose to be beefier. Is there a way to tell the 8x10 from the smaller carriers

Mike,

Sinar 8x10 made special rear carriers for 8x10 P and P2's and a special front carrier for the 8x10 P2. The rear carriers were wider to allow for centering of the wider carrier frames. The P2 front carrier has extra rise capabilty compared to the standard carrier.
Peter

David A. Goldfarb
04-09-2006, 12:46 PM
The 8x10" carrier for the P also has a black knob on the left side (viewed from the back) for locking the rear swing, which I think is lacking on the smaller version. Believe it or not, with the right combination of movements and a short lens it is possible to refocus or tilt and put the rear swing out of adjustment on a Sinar P if you don't lock it down.