PDA

View Full Version : How to Filter Large Diameter Lenses

stevebeyer@mac.com
03-31-2006, 01:21 PM
I would like others input on how they use filters for extremely large lense. I am particularly interested in 105mm and 122mm. It would be easy if the other side could use a smaller filter but in this case Schneider Fine Art lenses this option is not available. Thanks for your help

Dave Wooten
03-31-2006, 03:06 PM
you can use gel filters in front or in back of the lens

Robert Hall
03-31-2006, 03:59 PM
I use an Army surplus filter used for aircraft type cameras. There is a supplier on the east cost that may still have them. I have a red, orange, and yellow. Heavy enough glass that they have been dropped on rocks and only a small chip on the edge. (I don't plan on doing that as a habit).

David A. Goldfarb
03-31-2006, 04:52 PM
Gel or polyester filters. I usually use 4" Lee polyester filters or Wratten gels for lenses up to 105mm. You can get 6" gel filters for even bigger lenses.

You can also mount a gel holder inside on the rear element, even if there are no threads. There are some gel holders that use a spring or clamp mechanism. For some lenses that are impractical to filter in front, I've epoxied a square filter holder to the back of the lensboard.

sanderx1
03-31-2006, 06:53 PM
I would like others input on how they use filters for extremely large lense. I am particularly interested in 105mm and 122mm. It would be easy if the other side could use a smaller filter but in this case Schneider Fine Art lenses this option is not available. Thanks for your help

Cokin X-Pro covers up to 110, possibly 120 - the filter size is 130x160 (iirc) and majority of Cokin filters are included. Tiffen makes a lot of 138mm filters and 6x6 filters, I'm sure somebody must make a holder ...

resummerfield
03-31-2006, 07:15 PM
I think a set of square (or rectangular) filters, even quality glass ones, is cheaper and easier to work with than an assortment of step rings and large circular filters.