PDA

View Full Version : Print Exchange Deadbeats

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Bob F.
04-02-2006, 12:28 PM
I'm surprised that the rate of non-completion was in the order of 20% in the Blind Print Exchange. I've been in two rounds of Group Print Exchange and received all those expected (despite most of them having to come from overseas) and the Postcard Exchanges also seemed well covered - although I can't say I actually counted them.

20% is unacceptable and those responsible need to find a very good excuse for their inaction. No doubt some do indeed have one. Quite possibly, some do not even realise they are on the list and thought their prints were received months ago. PMs and emails go astray; people change their email addresses and forget to notify everyone involved; people may not wish to tell of private tragedy or life event, etc, etc, etc... The human capacity for misunderstanding and lost communication is practically endless. Calling people names is not a recipe for resolution of an issue: it simply hardens attitudes and will frighten those with a valid reason in to silence for fear of public hostility.

So, my view would be to stop calling people names, ban offenders (I'd say at the 1st offence rather than the 2nd) until the outstanding commitment has been honoured or otherwise dealt with to the contentment of all involved. If people do not meet their commitments, I have no interest in knowing their names; a deeply unpleasant concept akin to public flogging and humiliation that belongs in a different age.

Cheers, Bob.

gr82bart
04-05-2006, 05:22 PM
20% is unacceptable and those responsible need to find a very good excuse for their inaction. No doubt some do indeed have one. Quite possibly, some do not even realise they are on the list and thought their prints were received months ago. PMs and emails go astray; people change their email addresses and forget to notify everyone involved; people may not wish to tell of private tragedy or life event, etc, etc, etc... The human capacity for misunderstanding and lost communication is practically endless. Calling people names is not a recipe for resolution of an issue: it simply hardens attitudes and will frighten those with a valid reason in to silence for fear of public hostility.

So, my view would be to stop calling people names, ban offenders (I'd say at the 1st offence rather than the 2nd) until the outstanding commitment has been honoured or otherwise dealt with to the contentment of all involved. If people do not meet their commitments, I have no interest in knowing their names; a deeply unpleasant concept akin to public flogging and humiliation that belongs in a different age. Hmmm... I see the mountain out of a molehill thing here.

Let me explain again. Several PMs, SEVERAL PMs, have been sent to the individuals in question. Let's be clear here: THEY KNOW WHO THEY ARE.

As for the ones with a valid reason, I know them. One in particular I am very concerned about. But of the 14 - that's only 2.

Stop calling them names. OK, my bad. If you all want to vilify ME for trying to get someone who hasn't honoured THEIR commitment for 3, 6, 9, 12 months, to honour THEIR commitment, so be it. Whatever.

Anyway, I've had enough of chasing people down for others. As you all want, I'll do my best to get fulfillment in private (that's what I've been doing for the past 12 months). After 3 PMs I will give up and have to say to the jilted particpants "Tough luck."

Sorry to bring the issue in public.

Regards, Art.

joeyk49
04-05-2006, 06:00 PM
Art:

I didn't read the entire thread, so please excuse me if I'm being redundant.

1. You're doing a terrific job and please accept my compliments.

2. Deadbeats are deadbeats, don't let them stress you out.

3. I would suggest that those that fail to produce, not be permitted to participate until they have fulfilled their earlier committment. Even if there are individual extenuating circumstances, this would be fair.

4. Please refer to point #1

Regards,

Joe

Dave Miller
04-06-2006, 02:26 AM
I think that with this sort of arrangement we must expect a level of failure, or non-completion, and not get too wound up by it. With but one exception I have been very pleased with the exchanges that I have been involved with through the APUG medium, both public and private. I agree that when someone doesn’t honour their commitment then they should be barred from further participation, and I think this ban should crossover to all the public exchanges, if possible. One PM reminder should be sufficient, whilst one good reason (as Bob outlines) for none completion should be accepted. I would expect anyone unable to complete their commitment to announce the fact either on the forum or by PM. After all circumstances do change, and sometimes very rapidly.
I must add my appreciation for the work that you put into arranging and monitoring this exchange Art.

PhotoPete
04-06-2006, 09:29 AM
Art:

I didn't read the entire thread, so please excuse me if I'm being redundant.

1. You're doing a terrific job and please accept my compliments.

2. Deadbeats are deadbeats, don't let them stress you out.

3. I would suggest that those that fail to produce, not be permitted to participate until they have fulfilled their earlier committment. Even if there are individual extenuating circumstances, this would be fair.

4. Please refer to point #1

Regards,

Joe

Loudly seconded. Especially point #4