PDA

View Full Version : New Photography Exhibit at National Gallery in DC

TheFlyingCamera
04-03-2006, 03:58 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?node=cityguide/profile&id=1119033&lat=38.8913000&lon=-77.0199000&displaySearchLocation=&categories=Exhibits

Here's a blurb about the show at the National Gallery. Anyone up for meeting next weekend, Saturday the 7th, to take in the show? We can meet in the Rotunda at the West Wing of the National Gallery at 10:30, take in the show, and then adjourn to the Penn Quarter neighborhood (about three blocks away) for lunch.

Christopher Walrath
04-03-2006, 05:53 PM
I would love to but the REAL job calls. Stupid money!

TheFlyingCamera
04-04-2006, 12:34 PM
That's too bad. Anyone else up for taking in the show? C'mon folks- there's at least two or three other DC area residents in the mid-atlantic group! If the weekend in question is bad, someone propose another weekend!

c6h6o3
04-04-2006, 12:56 PM
That's too bad. Anyone else up for taking in the show? C'mon folks- there's at least two or three other DC area residents in the mid-atlantic group! If the weekend in question is bad, someone propose another weekend!

I'd be there with bells on, Scott, except for the fact that I'm leaving for Louisville tomorrow to attend events associated with our Azo show (http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26347). How about a raincheck for Saturday the 14th?

BTW, everybody: since the NGA established its permanent photography exhibition space, they've had nothing but fabulous shows. I try to see every single one. If you live around here you're really cheating yourself if you miss them.

wfwhitaker
04-04-2006, 04:21 PM
I'd be up for the 14th myself.

TheFlyingCamera
04-04-2006, 06:53 PM
Well, I'm good for the 14th also. Why don't we go as suggested, meet at the gallery at 10:30, take in the new exhibit, and then grab some lunch in the neighborhood? And anyone who wants to bring along some of their work to show-and-tell over lunch is more than welcome to do so!

Travis Nunn
04-06-2006, 09:36 PM
Just a question. Is this meeting for Friday the 14th or Saturday the 15th? All that has been mentioned is Saturday the 14th, which is inaccurate.

TheFlyingCamera
04-07-2006, 06:30 AM
Saturday the 15th

JamesG
04-07-2006, 09:03 AM
I'm looking at my schedule now and trying to keep it clear for the 15th. Also looking for a motel for Friday night. Hopefully, things will work out.

BTW, if I stay in College Park Friday, is it an easy ride to the Gallery Saturday morning?

James

TheFlyingCamera
04-07-2006, 09:11 AM
James- yes - very easy. You can get the Green Line metro from College Park straight to the Archives/Navy Memorial station, which is about two blocks from the National Gallery. If you want driving directions, let me know and I can send them to you in a PM. Metro would be much better, as the parking around that neighborhood is scarce and the meter maids are thicker than gnats in the woods in august.

JamesG
04-07-2006, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the info. Public transportation sopuinds like the thing to do in DC. I'm sure the motel will allow me to park there for the day. Once I can confirm that I can come down, I will post here. I have a shoot in Greenwich Village, NYC on Friday and I will have to see what time I am home. Hopefully early enough to head for DC.

James

Travis Nunn
04-07-2006, 09:32 AM
Saturday the 15th

Thanks for the clarification. I am helping a friend in Fredericksburg move that morning. I will try to make it, but can't promise.

TheFlyingCamera
04-11-2006, 09:39 AM
Just a quick reminder, y'all. This Saturday, 10:30 AM, National Gallery of Art, West Wing Rotunda. Anyone who can make it is more than welcome to join. Hope to see some of you there. Now that the NGA is getting serious about their photography collection, we can try to make this a regular event to take in new shows when they open.

TheFlyingCamera
04-15-2006, 06:51 PM
Well, I went to the NGA today - one person showed. I don't know if I just missed a few folks, or if we were the only ones there. If you didn't make it, it is a really nice exhibit, including some very beautiful and rare photos. I hope some of you all will show up for the Baltimore shoot May 6th.

JamesG
04-15-2006, 07:32 PM
I was hoping to have been able to make it, but I got home too late last night to have driven down for this morning. I hope you enjoyed the day in spite of the light turn out.

TheFlyingCamera
04-15-2006, 07:35 PM
Yes- we had a very nice day of it. I'll keep posting advance notice of other events like this so hopefully some folks can make it.