PDA

View Full Version : Only Apug Subscribers in the group exchange?

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Dave Parker
04-05-2006, 12:38 PM
Jeremy,

I think this is great idea. If it helps Sean increase subscriptions and consequently his full time living, I'm all for it.

It may also help in the other never-to-be-mentioned-for-fear-of-death-plus-it's-just- [moderator inserted space here] an-uncool-thing-to-call-someone-who-didn't-honour-their-committment- [moderator inserted space here] for-more-than-3-6-9-12-months-after-repeated-reminders area.

I voted YES.

Regards, Art.

Way to go Art, you tied everything together with dashes and goofed up the way the page interpets the table...

LOL

:D

gr82bart
04-05-2006, 12:43 PM
Way to go Art, you tied everything together with dashes and goofed up the way the page interpets the table...You mean I can't say d-e-a-b-e-a-t-s ? Not only is it politically incorrect, it's also uncool!

Art. (Not Print Exchange Challenged, but it's OK if I was.)

Bob F.
04-05-2006, 12:45 PM
Mmmmm, tricky one. My initial instinct is to allow non-subscribers, but I do take the point about commitment and the cost of sending prints Vs the cost of subscription and the tendency for drive-by signing up...

Allowing for the number of posts or length of membership for non-subscribers is probably too awkward and simply too much mucking about to be practical.

K, - have to go with gut instinct on this one and say allow.

If it is decided to only allow subscribers, I would advise against a subscriber only forum as then non-subscribers will never see what they are missing as one more incentive to cough up...

Cheers, Bob.

KenM
04-05-2006, 01:01 PM
I don't think this is a good idea at all. It would turn off a lot of people. just ban those who crap out.

Banning someone after the fact won't work - they've already accomplished their goals: get free prints without doing any work.

I therefore agree with limiting this to subscribers.

MattKing
04-05-2006, 01:02 PM
I just think that it would create confusion and hard feelings. I think subscriber perks should be in subscriber only areas.

There probably should be a "teaser" in the forums that non-subscribers can see - something like "subscribe now and you too can participate in ...."

I will vote yes on this as soon as I finish this Reply.

Matt

resummerfield
04-05-2006, 01:08 PM
..... Anyone who can afford to mail several prints to different parts of the world can afford to pay a few bucks top be a subscriber.......Well said.

David A. Goldfarb
04-05-2006, 01:30 PM
I think it's good to provide incentives to subscribe, so I voted yes.

If there's someone who is an active participant but can't afford the normal subscription rate for whatever reason (student, hardship, low-value currency, low per capita income, etc.), then there's a half-price subscription rate that works on the honor system, and beyond that there are many generous participants who have been known to pick up subscription costs for those who can't afford it, as well as individuals who can serve as intermediaries for people who don't have a convenient way of paying for a subscription.

Ole
04-05-2006, 01:42 PM
I voted yes.

Postage for the prints I send out every exchange is a lot more than the subscription fee. I know there are some members who for one reason or the other find it more difficult to pay the subscription fee than the postage (currency exchange rates can do funny things to your money, and not all currencies can be exchanged at all), but I'm sure we can find a solution to such problems.

ron mcelroy
04-05-2006, 02:02 PM
I voted yes. I believe it creates more added value to the subscription. This is my first time print exchange and I look forward to the sharing of prints.

jd callow
04-05-2006, 03:11 PM
I voted yes.

As a guest I get to read what is written.

As a member I get to contribute to the discourse

As a subscriber I get to participate in the exchanges, post images, use the chat, etc etc...

As a moderator I get to rifle through all of your PM's and mess with your profile.

It seems fair and appropriate. If you don't pay you can't play (if you don't pay sean and family will be out on the street).

kidding about the moderator bit.

Sean
04-05-2006, 03:23 PM
Maybe the question should be if someone is the owner of a member organized function should they have the right to close their project off to non-subscribers? I'd rather not impose something like that across the board, but if someone is going through the trouble to manage a project should they be allowed to control access to it?

naturephoto1
04-05-2006, 03:32 PM
As a moderator I get to rifle through all of your PM's and mess with your profile.

kidding about the moderator bit.

Kidding or not, that is pretty funny.

Being new here I am not sure of my feelings but would probably lean toward the subscriber.

Rich

sunnyroller
04-05-2006, 04:10 PM
I voted yes! It just adds to the value of APUG.

Sunny

Shmoo
04-05-2006, 04:35 PM
I voted "yes" because by signing up for a print exchange, you are committing at least three other people to shoot an image, develop the film, print that image, possibly mat and mount a print, package it and mail it to you. All of that activity costs more than a subscription to APUG. If a person can commit to a print exchange but can't afford the subscription, perhaps they should forego the exchange and subscribe instead? Just a thought.

S

Marc Leest
04-05-2006, 05:06 PM
I think (honestly) this is the worst idea since the foundation of APUG. It's not that $25 , it's the principle.
I suggest to be a subscriber to download a developer recipe.
I suggest to be a subscriber to exchange DIY plans for LF camera's.
I suggest to be a subscriber to access the French forum (time to close it anyway - consumes resources and nobody visit it anyway.
etc.

M.

So be it.

Sean
04-05-2006, 06:32 PM
Suppose a 3rd party is involved in the exchange? photog1 send his print to Jeremy, photog2 sends his print to Jeremy, when both prints are in Jeremy forwards them on. If one does not send a print Jeremy can send it back to the original photographer or keep it on hand for a new swap arrangement. Drawbacks are more expense with shipping and more work for Jeremy, but Jeremy might consider the extra work acceptable since he gets to see many prints..

Jeremy
04-05-2006, 06:56 PM
Suppose a 3rd party is involved in the exchange? photog1 send his print to Jeremy, photog2 sends his print to Jeremy, when both prints are in Jeremy forwards them on. If one does not send a print Jeremy can send it back to the original photographer or keep it on hand for a new swap arrangement. Drawbacks are more expense with shipping and more work for Jeremy, but Jeremy might consider the extra work acceptable since he gets to see many prints..

I've got no problem doing it this way as long as the shipping charges are covered by those involved.

bobfowler
04-05-2006, 07:02 PM
I voted "yes" because by signing up for a print exchange, you are committing at least three other people to shoot an image, develop the film, print that image, possibly mat and mount a print, package it and mail it to you. All of that activity costs more than a subscription to APUG. If a person can commit to a print exchange but can't afford the subscription, perhaps they should forego the exchange and subscribe instead? Just a thought.

S

Agreed...

Bob F.
04-05-2006, 07:15 PM
Suppose a 3rd party is involved in the exchange? <Snip>Immediate thoughts are that there are too many problems to resolve. e.g. Me in UK -> Jeremy in US -> Someone in UK... Or, in this round it would mean, UK -> US -> NZ. Could get rather expensive and would have to know postage from Texas to NZ (can probably find out online) for which Jeremy would have to queue up at the local post office for 40 or 50 packages and then I need a way to get the money to Jeremy to pay for it.

Jeremy won't even get to see the prints after all that unless he unseals them and reseals them afterwards!

As it looks like it is probably going subscriber only from the poll, the number of defaulters will drop, and then drop again as defaulters are weeded out.

Cheers, Bob.

claytume
04-05-2006, 07:32 PM

Here's a better idea.........group the non subscribers with the people that vote to keep them in..........neither party will feel aggrieved when their committments aren't met.

Clayton