PDA

View Full Version : Only Apug Subscribers in the group exchange?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

ggriffi
04-05-2006, 09:44 PM
Here's a better idea.........group the non subscribers with the people that vote to keep them in..........neither party will feel aggrieved when their committments aren't met.

Clayton

Or how about this? Since the deadbeats don't who are the rest are (they only know that they are one) as they join in pair them with each other then neither get a print. Let's see what they say then :o

BTW- I am not one, just getting in my one if these.

g

gr82bart
04-05-2006, 09:55 PM
Actually people, the issue here is to increase benefits to subscribers, which in turn may increase subscriptions, which may help Sean out.

The idea of being a subscriber reducing the number of 'defaulters' (gee, that's a much cooler word) is moot actually. Of the 3 folks on THAT list who came from the Group Exchange, all 3 are subscribers. Of the 14 in total from all exchanges on THAT list, I haven't done a detailed search, but I would say more than half are subscribers.

Again, this is way to help Sean increase benefits to being a subscriber which in turn may increase the subscriber base. At least contribute to it.

If the Group Exchange were subscriber based, the Blind Exchange can be open to all as a teaser/training ground to particpating in the Group Exchange and becoming a subscriber.

Just a thought.

Regards, Art.

jtsatterlee
04-06-2006, 08:21 PM
Voted Yes.

I voted "yes" because by signing up for a print exchange, you are committing at least three other people to shoot an image, develop the film, print that image, possibly mat and mount a print, package it and mail it to you. All of that activity costs more than a subscription to APUG. If a person can commit to a print exchange but can't afford the subscription, perhaps they should forego the exchange and subscribe instead? Just a thought.
Agreed.

Having an online organization like this isn't an entitlement
That's right folks, the internet may be ubiquitous, but it isnt free.

If the Group Exchange were subscriber based, the Blind Exchange can be open to all as a teaser/training ground to particpating in the Group Exchange and becoming a subscriber.

Good suggestion - exchanging one print at a time can be introduce newcomers to the process and if they want to increase their interaction with other members the can subscribe and take part in the Group Exchange.

jtsatterlee
04-06-2006, 08:27 PM
I forgot to say:

As a guest I get to read what is written.

As a member I get to contribute to the discourse

As a subscriber I get to participate in the exchanges, post images, use the chat, etc etc..
Well put, more commitment brings more benefits.

Christopher Colley
04-06-2006, 09:15 PM
Being the only person who is not a subscriber replying to this thread, I feel a bit intimidated (should I feel this way?)

I am a not subscribed. I am also a first time participant in the Blind Print Exchange and I have mailed my prints before the deadline.

Being someone who was unsure of whether a non subscriber could even participate in the exchange I was very glad to have the opportunity to join in.

I would not have subscribed to join in on the print exchange.

I voted no on this poll, it doesn't seem needed in order to make an effective exchange. I am not subscribed, I sent my work, I am at least one example that someone in my position can have the ability to send prints.

As to the remarks of subscribers only exchanges helping Sean (mentioned at least 3 times in this thread), I ask: is this thread meant to find a way to help Sean financially or to find a way to make Print Exchanges something anyone would be glad to participate in without fear of not getting a print ? In my opinion these are two different goals that can be accomplished via different methods......

MattKing
04-06-2006, 10:08 PM
[QUOTE=Christopher Colley]Being the only person who is not a subscriber replying to this thread, I feel a bit intimidated (should I feel this way?)

I personally would like to thank you for this response, and the perspective it adds to the discussion. IMHO it is a well stated opinion, and you should feel welcome to contribute this way at any time, whether or not your opinion is agreed to by the majority of others.

It didn't convince me to change my "vote", but it certainly made me think again about how best to maximize the benefit to this site, through encouraging participation of everyone, whether guest, member, or subscriber.

Did you note the earlier posts, which suggested that members be entitled to participate in certain exchanges (such as the blind print Exchange which you have participated in) but not others, as a means of encouraging subscription, without discouraging participation by those who for one reason or another are either unwilling or unable to subscribe? Is that a compromise that makes sense from your perspective?

Matt

Christopher Colley
04-06-2006, 10:50 PM
which suggested that members be entitled to participate in certain exchanges ... but not others, as a means of encouraging subscription, without discouraging participation

Matt

I read the responses but I didnt understand them in the way you described it, YES, this does make sense to me. Give someone the chance to experience an exchange (such as the blind exchange, or another smaller one) without risking loss of participation of well meaning users due to lack of participation ("deadbeats") in exchanges that have large amounts of prints.

Christopher Colley
04-06-2006, 11:02 PM
I will just add, I think it is important to (with the above suggestion, participation in some activities, subscription required with others) make members feel welcome here.

With Matts' reply of thanks I feel much more welcome in this discussion.

I do enjoy APUG quite a lot, but I think it would be quite unfortunate if the sensation I had (that my posting as a non subscriber would be frowned upon) were to begin to propogate.

In some way (after having experienced this in another community) while making more money through subscriptions keeps the site going and is a good thing a kind of segregation or class system can and has happened as a result of making many features subscriber only. I dont think anyone wants this as it can cause stagnation in terms of who is active and who is not in a discussion (nobody only wants to get the opinions of the select few who arent "afraid" to post on a thread due to their status as a member/guest/whathave you)

Dave Miller
04-07-2006, 03:08 AM
A very sensible response Christopher. Keep posting, and participating.

Jim_in_Kyiv
04-07-2006, 04:58 AM
With Matts' reply of thanks I feel much more welcome in this discussion.

I do enjoy APUG quite a lot, but I think it would be quite unfortunate if the sensation I had (that my posting as a non subscriber would be frowned upon) were to begin to propogate.

Before I subscribed I felt a bit of pressure to do so, but in a positive manner, and not directed toward me in particular. Out of several sites I had read, this one seemed to have a right mix of interesting and free material and gentle persuasion. One of the things I've always liked about APUG is that it doesn't try to blast "Why haven't you subscribed yet?" into members' faces. Maybe I don't notice the persuasion so much any more, or the focus has changed a bit - Christopher, you're in a better position to tell us how that is perceived now. But your comments do make a good case for making sure that a proper balance is maintained. Thanks!

I did vote 'yes', but there's no way to vote for strongly suggesting that the Blind Exchange be promoted and kept open, so I'll do it here.

gr82bart
04-07-2006, 09:04 AM
I did vote 'yes', but there's no way to vote for strongly suggesting that the Blind Exchange be promoted and kept open, so I'll do it here.Don't worry, I hear ya. ;)

Regards, Art.

jeffneedham
04-07-2006, 10:09 AM
Banning someone after the fact won't work - they've already accomplished their goals: get free prints without doing any work.

I therefore agree with limiting this to subscribers.

I don't know if people are trying to get free prints. My purpose for joining an exchange is to share my work. I want to make someone smile when they look in the mailbox and have a package. I'd like to think that they would have fulfilled their obligation as well, but at least I know that I did my best.

Wow, I should be a motivational speaker.

Back to the subject, I voted YES.