PDA

View Full Version : Calling all apug Utahans

Pages : [1] 2

Aggie
05-07-2006, 06:19 PM
Well after conferring with our editor the last press check (last out of 3) is a go. We will be having the magazine run on Tuesday. Which means I can be up north (hubby is driving me) to be at the plant to pick up the cases. I want to have a party to celebrate, and ask for help stuffing the evelopes with the magazine. Obviously I do not have a home up north to hold this thing at. I probably can talk to the Hotel I stay at in Provo all the time about using some of their morning breakfast area to work in. So if anyone has any ideas for Saturday during afternoon, I'm open to suggestions.

See you actually get the wayward southerner to come up north!

mtbbrian
05-08-2006, 10:13 AM
A magazine? Do tell!
What is the magazine called? What is it about?
Brian

Aggie
05-08-2006, 10:36 AM
A magazine? Do tell!
What is the magazine called? What is it about?
Brian

Oh Brian where have you been? This is a project that has been in the works for three years. If you check the sponsors page, "Emulsion" is listed. We have had a long road of it. Starts, and stops, Editors that decided all the world was digital and left. We have had lead articles held up due to authors not doing their jobs, we have had hold ups on layout, we have had several press checks. If this were a pregnancy it would have been high risk.

We have a very good staff of people, that have been refined through the years of this project. Jim Galli, Les McLean, Hans Van der (forgive me hans I forgot the last part of your name) Tiffany Hall, Alan Peck, and many more that I'm forgetting at the moment. I can't say enough about the people that helped bring this baby to life.

So Brian by being at this thing come Saturday, you will be at the official launch/birth of Emulsion. This is the very first issue of the magazine born here on apug back in Sept. of 2003.

Jon Shiu
05-08-2006, 12:02 PM
Congratulations on the magazine Aggie!

Jon

Aggie
05-08-2006, 12:15 PM
Jon, wait until you see your photographs, they look wonderful!

mtbbrian
05-08-2006, 03:06 PM
I am just a newbie to APUG Aggie!
But I have looked at the chat about ""Emulsion".
I wish it all the best!!
Brian

bumbersdad
05-09-2006, 09:07 PM
Hi -- I've been known to do a bit of writing (and believe it or not even some photography). I wrote the photography column for eBay for several years, and have written freelance for Sports Guide, the Standard Examiner, the old Utah Computing magazine and others. If I can help, please let me know. You can reach me at bumbersdad@yahoo.com.

Russ

Aggie
05-11-2006, 08:06 AM
Alan, who now lives in New Jersey is letting us use his house in Springville to stuf the envelopes. It's empty which means bring a folding chair, but Tif will have munchies there, and well I may be a bit calmer by then. I'm bouncing off the walls just waiting for Saturday afternoon. Well really until Friday afternoon. BTW if anyone wants to meet us in Provo on Friday night that couldn't make Saturday, (hubby) Dan and I will be available. You don't want to leave me in a motel room with cases of magazines now do you? BTW 34 hours and counting........

Jon Shiu
05-11-2006, 01:34 PM
Jon, wait until you see your photographs, they look wonderful!
Hmmm, may have to order some extra copies.

Jon

Aggie
05-11-2006, 02:18 PM
Hmmm, may have to order some extra copies.

Jon I'm sending you 10 copies for being in the magazine, do you need more? I have a little pull with the crew.

highpeak
05-11-2006, 02:21 PM
Hi, John's pictures are in the magzine! Man, I really can't wait to get my hands on it.

Jon Shiu
05-11-2006, 03:09 PM
Thanks Aggie, very nice of you!

Jon

highpeak
05-11-2006, 03:30 PM
Jon, my bad, sorry.

Jon Shiu
05-13-2006, 02:50 AM
No problem highpeak. Thanks for your interest.

Jon

Aggie
05-13-2006, 09:19 AM
The clock has been reset to this next Friday night May 19th. Neither Tif nor I can be there any sooner. The magazines cover the rep forgot to tell me (because she didn't know until Friday morning) was not dry yet. Once it dries it has to be sent out to be UV coated. If we were going for a lesser quality publication this would not have been a problem. The soonest the company was open that can do the UV coating is Monday morning. So The covers are returned to Banta, and the magazine stitched, (notice it is not one of those that gets glued together like the cheap ones) and I could pick up the cases late Wednesday. ARRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH I was packed and literally moments from leaving when I got the word about all of this. SOOOOOOO for those who would like to help us stuff the envelopes, Can we do this again on Friday Night? I'll furnish the Pizza! Or any other food (sushi) if given warning of likes and dislikes. I have to talk to Alan to see if his empty house in Springville will still be avialable.

For those that know me I could be really upset about this major delay (at least to me it is major) But the person was honest and upfront and told me what is going on. I have no problem with honesty. Now instead of upset, I'm just frustrated with the delay. I may not like it, but I can deal easily with honest information.

glbeas
05-14-2006, 03:42 PM
I'm glad they were upfront and also concerned with the quality. That could have been a helluva mess if the covers were coated before a good drying time had elapsed. It frustrates me when we have a job on the floor suffering in the QC department and the big boss say push it through. That don't happen so much anymore, customer kickbacks are expensive!

Aggie
05-14-2006, 06:28 PM
Tha's why, Gary, I was frustrated, but not angry. Michelle knows we are going to be anal about quality.

bumbersdad
05-15-2006, 12:31 PM
Aggie -- As you know, I work Saturdays, but I can give you a suggestion all the same. It's farther north, but if anyone would like to go to Logan Canyon, they'd only be disappointed if they forget their cameras.

bumbersdad

Aggie
05-18-2006, 08:48 PM
Well the magazine is boxes, just waiting until I can get to Spanish Fork to pick them up. Saturday at around noon we will be stuffing the envelopes. great if any of you want to be there. Yes Ari I will post a picture of me taking delivery!

tommy5c
05-18-2006, 09:04 PM
Aggie, where do you plan on stuffing your mailers? I'm assuming you are still in need of help.