View Full Version : Old Print Press?

Travis Nunn
05-25-2006, 04:43 PM
A friend of mine gave me this item that belonged to her uncle. I haven't had a chance to clean it up yet so fogive the dust on it. I've never seen a press like this before and there is nothing on it that says who the manufacturer was. Is this likely something he made or was this a common item back in the day?

05-25-2006, 04:53 PM
That press looks very cool.
I am wondering if it might be a book press.
In any event looks like something to have fun with.
I wonder how much pressure it can produce.


Donald Qualls
05-25-2006, 11:39 PM
That looks like a pressure version of a blotter book. Nice collector's item, but don't get your prints anywhere near it unless you're able to replace the blotter material with new, clean photographic blotter. If you *can* replace the blotter material (it might be just loose between the boards), follow David Vestal's process for blotter drying and you'll get the flattest FB prints you've ever seen.

It might also be a flower press; I think it's probably too thin for a book press, but it would accomodate a good bit more thickness than what's shown there.

05-25-2006, 11:58 PM
I think that Donald is right about the device being a flower/plant press. I recall seeing something of a similar design in the storage area of the Botany department in the university I attended. Freshly-collected specimens are allowed to dry out for sometime in between sheets of paper, then when adequately dessicated, are then put under the press to reduce their volume further.

Travis Nunn
05-26-2006, 08:12 AM
Donald, you are correct, there is blotter paper in between the boards (very old and stained) and it will hold lots more than what the pictures show. I hadn't planned on using it, but once cleaned up, it will make an interesting conversation piece.