PDA

View Full Version : What makes a good street photographer & photograph?

Pages : 1 [2]

gr82bart
08-24-2008, 11:09 AM
So what is it that epitomizes the archetypal street photographer and photograph?
Is it the impulse, spontaneity and energy of the moment that the image defines?
Is it the invisibility of the photographer or indeed their abillity to cajole and strike-up a rapport with the subject?Balls. You've got to have them in street photography. Especially now since everyone will think you're a terrorist.

Regards, Art.

stradibarrius
01-22-2010, 05:53 PM
I always feel like I am exploiting someone else misfortune for those hardcore street shots. The "happy" shots not so much????

fotopom
01-25-2010, 08:12 PM
I look for the things that create emotion, the guy grabbing the crouch of a statue, the lonely smoker sat in the alley... these things cannot be planned, sometimes you can take your time to compose your shot, sometimes you have to shoot with what you have got and compose on the run, I still find those fleeting moments the hardest to take trusting my settings and not fussing with the camera... most of all street photography should be addictive and fun!

Dan

Colin Corneau
01-25-2010, 10:25 PM
I've gotten comfortable with the idea that a lot of people can't dig the tilt or the clipped figure. It's their own limited bag.

Actually I think the tilted horizon 'thing' is a cliché that shows either a laziness or a complete lack of creativity. Good shots *can* have a bit of it...but a lot of shooters somehow think that alone bestows worth on an image.

Wake up call: no, it don't. It's technique, not substance.