PDA

View Full Version : $100 rotating darkroom doors for sale in Texas

Pages : [1] 2

kwmullet
06-18-2006, 07:19 PM
http://search.ebay.com/darkroom-door_W0QQcatrefZC6QQfromZR10QQfrppZ50QQfsooZ1QQfso pZ11QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQmaxrecordsreturnedZ300QQsaca tZQ2d1QQsascsZ2QQsbrbinZtQQsbrsrtZd

Here's a couple of rotating darkroom doors for sale in Texas. It might even cost you more in gas go pick them up than it would to buy them. They're $100 buy it now.

I've got mine already. ($75 last year from a graphic arts place in Dallas ditching all non-digital workflow)

Very cool alternative to being trapped when you gotta be dark.

-KwM-

Curt
06-18-2006, 08:20 PM
I wanted one for a while but the four or five hundred dollar drive is a bit much.

Robert Brummitt
06-18-2006, 08:28 PM
I got mine when a local lab closed its doors. I got it for free! They just wanted out of the building.
Now, I drilled a small hole and placed a small lock up high to keep my kids from rotating the door around and around.

HPorter
06-18-2006, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the tip. I have been kicking around the idea of building a small darkroom in my garage. Now that I have a door, I will have to do it!!!

Gay Larson
06-18-2006, 10:59 PM
I bought mine several years ago and it cost more to ship it than buy it. I bought it so my family could come down anytime and see what I was doing. sometimes I wish I hadn't!! Mostly I like that they can come and talk to me and I don't have to stop what I am doing. My grandkids are fascinated by the darkroom. So I say go for It.

kwmullet
06-18-2006, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the tip. I have been kicking around the idea of building a small darkroom in my garage. Now that I have a door, I will have to do it!!!

Harold,

Wonderful news. My own rotating door is the centerpiece of my darkroom, which is currently framed out in a converted 1949 one-car garage, but not sheetrocked, ventilated nor has it acquired plumbing. I do have the door, though, and after the frustration of trying to communicate with family members through the door, or telling them I'll be out in a few minutes, or being stuck twiddling my thumbs during very long development-by-inspection sessions, I'm so looking forward to being able to zip in and out of the darkroom regardless of my dark state.

And now, for tonights quiz question -- can anyone identify the major motion picture in which a rotating darkroom door figures prominantly?
clue: it was released in 1986.

-KwM-

markbb
06-19-2006, 02:47 AM
Here's a couple of rotating darkroom doors for sale in Texas.A rotating darkroom - wouldn't that make you a bit giddy?

HPorter
06-24-2006, 10:18 PM
Picked mine up this afternoon. It is in very reasonable condition with regard to the price. They have one left, if anyone in the Houston area is interested. They tried to talk me into buying both of them, but I don't have a need. The location is at Hwy 290 and FM 2920 near Waller if anyone in Houston is interested. Let me know and I will forward the contact info.

Valerie
06-25-2006, 08:32 AM
Picked mine up this afternoon. It is in very reasonable condition with regard to the price. They have one left, if anyone in the Houston area is interested. They tried to talk me into buying both of them, but I don't have a need. The location is at Hwy 290 and FM 2920 near Waller if anyone in Houston is interested. Let me know and I will forward the contact info.

Well, I would love it (and I am nearby). Maybe if they still have it later, when funds allow......

kwmullet
06-25-2006, 09:25 AM
Well, I would love it (and I am nearby). Maybe if they still have it later, when funds allow......

What's that I hear? Is that the taunting voice of a darkroom door?

"Valerie.... Vaaaalerieeee"

(*smirk*)

-KwM-

Valerie
06-25-2006, 09:31 AM
What's that I hear? Is that the taunting voice of a darkroom door?

"Valerie.... Vaaaalerieeee"

(*smirk*)

-KwM-

so mean!! ;) get back, satan!

HPorter
06-25-2006, 12:24 PM
Valerie,

Go here:

http://www.eseco-speedmaster.com/doors.html

And look at the price sheet. That is what helped me with my decision!

kwmullet
06-25-2006, 02:22 PM
The price list link at the top works, but the one at the bottom doesn't.
Basically, a new 2-way door like that runs US$1400+

You're not spending US$100, you're saving US$1300!

You're not putting in a big ugly contraption, you're making yourself more available to your family when you're dark in the darkroom, and permitting them to share your darkroom more with you!

(*diabolical laughter*) Bwahahahahahahaha

-KwM-

David Brown
06-25-2006, 03:12 PM
You're not putting in a big ugly contraption, you're making yourself more available to your family when you're dark in the darkroom, and permitting them to share your darkroom more with you!

My darkroom door has a lock on it. HMmmm ... ;)

kwmullet
06-28-2006, 11:35 PM
Note to future googlers, dogpilers, yahoos and of course, Apuggers reading this thread for information about rotating darkroom doors:

Don't store or transport the door on its side. When I bought mine, it was stored on a pallet on its side. We drove it from Dallas, TX to Denton, TX in a U-Haul on its side, but stored it for a year or so verticle until now, when I'm installing it in my darkroom. There's a row of rivets on each side where the metal frame attaches to the rigid plastic outer cylinder. On one side, I got a clean break right down the row of rivets. On the other, there's a stress fracture that I'll have to strengthen soon before it breaks.

It was fun and satisfying to fix with some sheet metal, black roofing epoxy and a generous supply of pop rivets, but if it wasn't broke, I would have been able to spend that time doing other things to get my darkroom in production.

caveat emptor

-KwM-

kb244
06-29-2006, 06:44 AM
http://search.ebay.com/darkroom-door_W0QQcatrefZC6QQfromZR10QQfrppZ50QQfsooZ1QQfso pZ11QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQmaxrecordsreturnedZ300QQsaca tZQ2d1QQsascsZ2QQsbrbinZtQQsbrsrtZd

Here's a couple of rotating darkroom doors for sale in Texas. It might even cost you more in gas go pick them up than it would to buy them. They're $100 buy it now.

I've got mine already. ($75 last year from a graphic arts place in Dallas ditching all non-digital workflow)

Very cool alternative to being trapped when you gotta be dark.

-KwM-

According to the listing they're 400$ buy it now, not 100$

HPorter
06-29-2006, 07:10 AM
According to the listing they're 400$ buy it now, not 100$

The link is a generic search on eBay for the term Darkroom Door. The $400 doors currently on eBay are a different auction.

I confirmed that they want only $100 for their second door when I picked mine up.

Kevin, that is good advice about not transporting the door on it's side. I had to transport the one I bought on it's side, and I was nervous about it the whole way home. Fortunately, I only live 10 miles away from where I picked it up, and I was able to take old country farm roads _slowly_ the whole way home. Thankfully I did not damage it, but you are quite correct about the fragile construction of this door.

Harold

kwmullet
06-29-2006, 07:59 AM
Glad it worked out well, Harold.

I patched mine yesterday. In my not-yet air conditioned texas converted garage, I musta lost about five pounds through sweat riveting that sheet metal into place. I'll get a sense of satisfaction every time I spin the door, though.

-KwM-

HPorter
06-29-2006, 08:51 AM
I hear ya. My enlargers and Jobo equipment are currently in my un-air conditioned garage. I have been using it this way for quite some time. My main purpose in wanting to build a darkroom within the garage is to be able to have A/C. The winter time is bearable, but even after the sun goes down in the summer, the garage/darkroom feels like a sauna all night long.

Though I spoke to a friend at work yesterday who informed me that his friend bought one of those roll around portable A/C units that he claims does a good job at cooling the entire garage down.... Hard to believe but interesting! That could fix the heat problem, but dust control and having to open the big garage door every time I want to wash a batch of prints would still need to be addressed. And then there is the fact that I now have a big revolving door standing in the middle of my garage... I had better build that darkroom!

kwmullet
07-21-2006, 09:44 AM
Just ran across another one -- hundred dollar rotating darkroom door in Texas. Looks to be "downright serviceable" from the picture:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ESECO-Speedmatic-Used-Revolving-Darkroom-Door_W0QQitemZ330008570126QQihZ014QQcategoryZ629QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

shoot... if I had the storage and a bit of capital, and knew about twice as much as I do about framing/plumbing/electrical/hvac, it'd be almost enough to make me want to just start snagging all the good darkroom stuff off eBay and go into the custom darkroom general contracting business. Want to turn your spare bathroom/closet/space under the stairs/garage into a darkroom? Just call us. :)

Maybe I'm just having way too much fun finishing out my own garage converted darkroom.

-KwM-